Just listened to DJ's version of Better again, and...

Nick85

I've comed to the conclusion that many, if not, all of the remaining tracks from the Chinese era that are slated for the next record will be HEAVILY redone in his style. I'm predicting that The General, Soul Monster, Seven, etc. will now all mainly feature DJ & Ron on lead guitar(s), save maybe a few parts recorded by Robin & Bucket that Axl may still be emotionally attached to.

I know many of you would cry "Blasphemy!" citing the fact that Buckethead & Robin's parts on Chinese were some of the greatest highlights of the album. While I would agree with that to some extent, I have now officially resigned myself to thinking that I'm cool with Axl doing whatever he needs to do get the next album out all God-damn ready.

DJ's version of Better has shown us that this guy can impress us by re-doing a song that already had most of us pretty damn impressed, not to mention Ron's masterful work on Going Down. Think of what our first impressions will be of the tracks when we hear them for the first time with DJ and Ron on lead.

In fact, I would wager that this has all been done already. If the latest round of leaks (particularly Going Down) have shown us anything, it's that these guys have been secretly recording their parts for the next album on their own at their home studios, and sending them off to team GNR to have them mixed and, hopefully, released at some point. In other words, Ron technically was not lying when he said that the band has yet to sit down in a room together and write. I mean, why would they spend gobs of money recording another GNR record when they already have another album and a half of great tracks to work with?

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Now Axl, Team Brazil, whoever...Just please do whatever you can to get this music to us ASAP.

Edited by sofine11
  • Like 1

I like DJs version of Better, but I don't compare it to the original when I'm listening to it. I think the *ideal* scenerio, If Axl's dead-set on having DJ on the leftover CD songs, would be to release the remaining Bucket-era stuff with minimal additions from DJ, and release a bonus disc or itunes-exclusive EP with songs like "Better '13 Remix", "The General '13 Remix", etc. if the songs are gonna be totally re-imagined in that style.

edit: For the record, DJs version is cool for what it is, but it doesn't hold a candle to the original version of the song. The first time I heard the Better leak, it was incredible. Can't imagine I'd say the same if Ashbas version were the first I'd heard.

Edited by RickRoses

It just sounded like bland Sixx:AM cheesy goth rock. I've got nothing wrong with "dark" music (huge NIN fan), but Ashba's stuff just sounds lame. I'm still baffled as to why Axl was so adamant on having him in the band.

It seems there won't be a new record.

There will. If the songs are even half-way decent (I'm sure they're incredible) then there's money to be made and it'll come out eventually. Simple as that.

Yes, for us, normal human beings it's simple. Now convince Axl. :D

Edited by Aninha_Hudson

I, honest to god, rather suffer with aids than ever have to listen to dj buttfucking one of the few solid nu guns tracks ever, EVER again.

Never in my wildest dreams did I expect his version to be THAT horrid.

If he's the future of "gnr", I wish the Mayans would have been right.

Luckily I don't think we have to worry about it happening again.

Edited by Bobbo
  • Like 2

Ashba version of Better sucks a lot, IMO. I really, really hope that he don't touch any Robin/Bucket/Brain material.

But I would love to hear Bumblefoot contributions to some songs.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts.

The more I listen to DJ's Better, the more I dislike it. I would hate, hate, hate if he touches the other stuff in "the vault".

I think its possible that Dj Better is the first clue to how the next one could sound. It has the 00s, the twilight element, the glossy gothic feel. Dark and dramatic. 80s glam horror.

Bucket n Finck are very 90s sounding.

Maybe whats left is more Fortus songs and Axl songs which could make it GNR. Dj will give it contemporary feel.

Can you imagine if we actually got an album and it turned out to be a bunch of Buckethead/Finck songs retooled into goth-rock shit songs?

The thing is that we wouldn't know the difference, since we haven't heard them yet. That will change if the old versions leak... There is nothing to compare them to like we did for Chinese Democracy.

The DJ version is crap compared to the original. That's okay, cause it's just a remix and not even supposed to be a better version. Just different.

But anyway, I think Ashba has a lot of potential. He hasn't proven to be great yet. But I have faith that Axl can get the best out of him. I sure hope that the next album won't be full of EMO-shit.