Did Bucket make the right choice by leaving?

Young_Gun

Yes he made the right choice. He was replaced by a superior guitarist. He should have done it long before he did. If only Axl had had the brains to make similar improvements with his replacements for Brain and Robin, this would be an amazing band again.

I like Bumble, but Bucket's tone is better, he's more melodic, and his solos are more memorable. I'd say they're comparable, but 'superior' is not the word I would choose to describe him against Bucket.

I'd say superior is the only word to describe Ron when comparing him with Bucket. That's the strange thing about opinions, huh?

Superior in what way? Can you give an example? I'm a fan of Bumble. His technical abilities and theory knowledge are impressive, and I do like some of his solo material, but Bucket's body of work, his ability to compose in many genres and especially the way he solos make your superior comment seem a bit out of place.

Best choice anyone has ever made as far as GNR is concerned.

What we lost: overly-technical emotionless guitar player who is all kinds of weird and totally disconnected from the fans

What we gained: the only member of the band who regularly interfaces with fans, not to mention that he can play pretty much anything and play it like he means it

Bucket has tons of emotion imo, but that's subjective anyway. He can play really soulful leads and a lot of his songs are heartfelt.

I'm a fan of Bumble. His technical abilities and theory knowledge are impressive

As nice as it is to have that, by itself it's not gonna win you the race.

Right. This is why Page and Perry, Slash and Clapton are legends to many, and even though Slash's technical abilities are a joke compared to Bumble's, his ability to compose classic solos (at least in Guns) his sound and feel are what truly counts.

Bucket is a combination of great technical ability and creative, distinct lead playing. On top of that, he's just way more tasteful compared to Bumble. Even when he shreds, he doesn't lose direction to the point where it sounds out of place.

Edited by Rovim

Yes he made the right choice. He was replaced by a superior guitarist. He should have done it long before he did. If only Axl had had the brains to make similar improvements with his replacements for Brain and Robin, this would be an amazing band again.

I like Bumble, but Bucket's tone is better, he's more melodic, and his solos are more memorable. I'd say they're comparable, but 'superior' is not the word I would choose to describe him against Bucket.

I'd say superior is the only word to describe Ron when comparing him with Bucket. That's the strange thing about opinions, huh?

Superior in what way? Can you give an example? I'm a fan of Bumble. His technical abilities and theory knowledge are impressive, and I do like some of his solo material, but Bucket's body of work, his ability to compose in many genres and especially the way he solos make your superior comment seem a bit out of place.

Superior in every single way imaginable. His tone is better, his playing on GN'R songs is leagues better, he is a far better songwriter and the only genre where your statement makes any sense to me at all would be ambient techno. A genre I happen to despise.

Well he hasn't tried to go back nor has he particularly traded on his past association with GnR so we have to assume that he feels personally and professionally it was the right decision for him.

And that's all that really matters at the end of the day.

It is HIS career and his life, so I respect his decision.

From what has transpired(or not) of the band since Bucket's departure, was he wise for leaving the band when he did? As much as I would love 10 albums with him, Axl and Robin, I don't think he is missing out on much by not being in Guns now.

For him musically yes New GNR only released one album and Bucketheads released what a 100 since then? haha

I think Buckethead got a buzz appearing in front of so many at *that* Rio gig. He even posted YouTube links on his website, all be it links to his solo section's. At the same time, I got the impression maybe he felt he was on a leash, and was probably frustrated at the slow pace Axl works at, and the total lack of output at that time. Yes, Buckethead was right to quit. What did Axl do - bitch about it. What did Buckethead do - say nothing, and release a ton of music.

I'm very impressed with how productive Buckethead is and the quality of his work

I don't think he could do the touring. Imagine touring the world with bucket on your head, doing a puppet shows in hotel rooms, it would kill him. Seems like he was losing his mind.

Seems like he found agreat way to be both famous and anonymous at the same time. :thumbsup:

Exactly he probably could go out without the mask with hardly anyone even knowing who he was

I just think sitting on a tour bus with a bucket on your head for 3 years must get old. think of all the sweat drying inside that bucket. which was probably pretty greasy when he put it on. maybe he could get a ski mask for travelling though. ventilation would be at a premium.

Best choice anyone has ever made as far as GNR is concerned.

What we lost: overly-technical emotionless guitar player who is all kinds of weird and totally disconnected from the fans

What we gained: the only member of the band who regularly interfaces with fans, not to mention that he can play pretty much anything and play it like he means it

I wouldn't call Buckethead at all disconnected from his fans. Buckethead personalizes CD's and artwork for fans for his unique limited editions plus gives out gifts to the fans during his concerts. Some may consider the Bucket costume disconnecting while others may be interested in his playing ability. I also find a ton of emotion in some of Buckethead's guitar work

absolutely. anybody who has left this band has made the right choice

At first glance it people may be tempted to accuse you of being pessimistic or negative and bashing Axl - but really it's a sad but true fact when you looks at it objectively. Robin Finck wasted a lot of good years doing pretty much nothing with Axl when he could have been releasing albums and playing all along with Trent Reznor. Bucket might be a different case because he's always had more of a cult following rather than fortune and fame and there is a possibility he could have used his stature as the GNR guitarist to gain more popularity but he didn't do himself a disservice by leaving.

I think he left because he didnt know if CD was ever comming out at all, although he didn't reach the audience he could have if he stayed.

But for him personally it was probably a wise decision, he's a very private and productive guy , the very opposite of GNR

I think he left because he didnt know if CD was ever comming out at all, although he didn't reach the audience he could have if he stayed.

I'm not sure. I mean, has GnR really grown that much since 2004? Would he really have gained so many fans. I really don't believe so. GnR's fanbase hasn't expanded much at all since then imo. And that's no wonder, when you release just one album in 15 years and don't promote anything. I think Buckethead had absolutely nothing to gain staying with GnR.

• Like 1

I'm not sure. I mean, has GnR really grown that much since 2004? Would he really have gained so many fans. I really don't believe so. GnR's fanbase hasn't expanded much at all since then imo. And that's no wonder, when you release just one album in 15 years and don't promote anything. I think Buckethead had absolutely nothing to gain staying with GnR.

This. He has a very good following these days for a solo instrumental musician. I think Guns lost out more by losing Bucket and Bucket lost by leaving Guns. I think his work is absolutely sublime and his solos have taste where Ron's solos have no direction sometimes.

Edited by Young_Gun

Superior in every single way imaginable. His tone is better, his playing on GN'R songs is leagues better, he is a far better songwriter and the only genre where your statement makes any sense to me at all would be ambient techno. A genre I happen to despise.

I disagree with everything you said here, but I guess it's a matter of taste. I think his tone sucks compared to Bucket's. I'm sure I can counter any example you give me of Bumble's 'better' tone (if you have one) with what I consider to be actuallly a good sound.

I disagree with everything you said here, but I guess it's a matter of taste. I think his tone sucks compared to Bucket's. I'm sure I can counter any example you give me of Bumble's 'better' tone (if you have one) with what I consider to be actuallly a good sound.

And I can easily counter anything that you have to post as well, why do you think I pointed out the idiocy of arguing opinions in the first place? In my eyes, you will never be right. Ever. And the reverse applies just as well. Edited by Damn_Smooth

He would have been bound to GNR and he enjoys being able to move around and work with different projects, He's still working on stuff with Bootsy Collins but it's on and off, if he had that kind of open relationship in GNR, he'd still be in the band.

I think he left out of disgust for how long the whole thing was taking, was another Izzy situation where he couldn't be relied on, and just being a prodigy they tend to be pain in the asses and there was already one of those steering the ship.

I think Bumble was the right fit for the band, he can relate to the band and the frontman, has a decent voice and playing skills, he can't do what Axl does but they could go on as a band without him,but I think Tommy and Dizzy would be out of there, maybe DJ but I could see him sticking around to see what happens. I'm sure we'll see a NAMM photo of Bumblefoot, Buckethead, and Slash together in this lifetime.

And I can easily counter anything that you have to post as well, why do you think I pointed out the idiocy of arguing opinions in the first place? In my eyes, you will never be right. Ever. And the reverse applies just as well.

Right... so do you have an example or not?

And I can easily counter anything that you have to post as well, why do you think I pointed out the idiocy of arguing opinions in the first place? In my eyes, you will never be right. Ever. And the reverse applies just as well.

Right... so do you have an example or not?

Every song Ron wrote is an example to me. What part of this are you completely failing to understand? Pick one yourself and it has a far better tone than anything Bucket has ever written.