Favorite Director?

wasted

Guest Len B'stard

John Cassavetes, cuz he was a visionary, his style was deeply American (which is the kinda cinema i like), he was the father of independent cinema, he pioneered techniques, his stories were always always always deeply human and about human interactions and human relationships (the way i like em), they had a ramshackle improvisatory quality to it.

To quote the man himself 'my movies are about love...and the lack of it'. That sentence on it's own explains to me 100% the nature of the human condition and the impetus behind our actions and behaviour throughout lifes journey.

There is literally no fuckin' comparison to this man, his films are brilliant and beautiful and powerful and human and....they leave a lasting impression. There is no man like John Cassavetes.

John Cassavetes, cuz he was a visionary, his style was deeply American (which is the kinda cinema i like), he was the father of independent cinema, he pioneered techniques, his stories were always always always deeply human and about human interactions and human relationships (the way i like em), they had a ramshackle improvisatory quality to it.

To quote the man himself 'my movies are about love...and the lack of it'. That sentence on it's own explains to me 100% the nature of the human condition and the impetus behind our actions and behaviour throughout lifes journey.

There is literally no fuckin' comparison to this man, his films are brilliant and beautiful and powerful and human and....they leave a lasting impression. There is no man like John Cassavetes.

I'm hearing ya Len, but I still love Hitchcock more. His films mesmerise me, intrigue me and fascinate me. I can analyse each one frame by frame. He's really the only director that has ever had a lasting impression on me. His film are not about realism or anything as deep as the human condition but for me when I watch a film I want to be removed from those things most of the time. Despite the fact that Hitchcock's films are not realistic they are still deeply profound for me. He always depicts a regular person in the grips of a traumatic experience and at some point in our lives we can relate to that. His films have also had a strong impression on me from a stylistic perspective, to the point where I would say that he has influenced me more in that regard than any other fashion designer. Designers are rarely inspiration to other designers, and I find it interesting that an overweight film director who died when I was just a kid in school has influenced me more than any other living or deceased fashion designer. :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

Oh I think Hitchcock is amazing too and it'd be unfair to compare the two because they looked to do different things, Hitchcock was 100% cinematic whereas Cassavetes was a little more into like, cinema verite type stuff. Hitch' was the fuckin' bollocks though and one of my favorites and at LEAST in the top 5 of all time, Cassavetes too but if I had to nail down and commit to a statement regarding who was the more important it's gotta be Hitchcock.

Not that Cassavetes wasn't important it's just he was important to a different strain of cinema.

• Like 1