Slash's Third Album - "World On Fire"

ZoSoRose

So we've gotten to the point of--

Poor Myles, guy can't even write lyrics with his usual themes w/o some of the GNR fan base wanting to apply it to Axl.

Poor Axl, any song about the subject being out of control and/or causing his own downfall is assumed to be about Axl. Throw in the subject becoming irrelevant and people think it HAS to be about Axl.

Might be time to lay off the pipe... :tongue2:

So how about everyone who assumes Sorry is about Slash? Should they lay off the pipe? I mean, Axl clearly said it isn't about anyone in particular.

But there's a big difference. Axl is always writing about ex-bandmates, ex-girlfriends, etc. CD was his My December album. There is a track record there unlike with Myles.

Crucify The Dead from Ozzy clearly about Axl. And Sorry clearly about Slash with its "Shut up and sing" reference and other lines obviously about Slash.

Axl writing lyrics about Slash far more plausible and even understandable than Myles writing and singing about Axl. The dots don't connect, IMO.

If Myles did write those lyrics about Axl, would be a huge bitch move and don't see that from him. You do?

See, here's the thing. I'm not trying to stick up for Axl or anything. It's just clear as day that at the very least, CTD, Nothing to Say and Too Far Gone are about Axl.

"Still you're much further away, singing our songs of yesterday, while so much still stands in the way"

That line is as blatant as "a loaded gun jammed by a rose".

Too Far Gone describes Axl to a t. I'm not some delusional Axl fan who thinks Slash is being mean or lying. I'm all for Slash taking it to Axl (and vice versa, they're both cunts) but it's pretty annoying seeing him get his shots in while appearing to take the high road.

I know, we're just shooting the shit on this stuff for fun. Totally meaningless.

Had never really bothered listening to the lyrics of Nothing to Say until now, but I do agree with Anguyen that the specific line you quote sounds like typical M. Shadows tripe. Reading the rest of the song, doesn't seem to apply to GNR at all. Honestly, I have no idea what he's getting at. :tongue2:

Because he's always seemed like such a cool cat, I'll give Myles the benefit of the doubt until he does something else douchey that makes me wonder. Singing "there's nothing left to prove, you're too far gone" about Axl would be far more personal and harsh than anything in Crucify and Myles doesn't even have a place in this...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Could someone is Australia record the interview on The Project?

Slash being interviewed by Rove just seems like something I need to see

It's a shame that we had several australian posters here, but none of them interested about Slash related things (not even about GNR anymore)

They only circle jerking in the AG sections fom time to time

It's a shame that we had several australian posters here, but none of them interested about Slash related things (not even about GNR anymore)

I post stuff all the time. I leaked World on fire. Am a Aussie ☺ Edited by Gibbo 27

I post stuff all the time. I leaked World on fire. Am a Aussie ☺

To be fair though, you're not a very good example Gibbo. You have what I call "the Slash sickness". (I have it too :headbang: )

To be fair though, you're not a very good example Gibbo. You have what I call "the Slash sickness". (I have it too :headbang: )

I was probably more into axl back in the day but we know how that's turned out still love them both

I was probably more into axl back in the day but we know how that's turned out still love them both

What? just because one album in 23 years, new mother, plastic, fatter, chemical peals, pink as fuck, robot shredders, guitars with wings they suck, punching at airports, hand me that shirt, helium mouse, round 1, suck my king dick, Conan hate, basketball warm ups, downloadin' motherfuckers, loved the guy, russian weddings, best removed, fuck you Marc why u writin'? VR propaganda, tip of the iceberg?

Fucking hater.

Edited by Rovim

What? just because one album in 23 years, new mother, plastic, fatter, chemical peals, pink as fuck, robot shredders, guitars with wings they suck, punching at airports, hand me that shirt, helium mouse, round 1, suck my king dick, Conan hate, basketball warm ups, downloadin' motherfuckers, loved the guy, russian weddings, best removed, fuck you Marc why u writin'? VR propaganda, tip of the iceberg?

Fucking hater.

???

Hey man, i don't know this

Keep up the good work :headbang:

Also one poster (megaguns1982) said on another thread he heard the interview and they asked Slash about a reunion and he said no

i think at the end of the day it will always be kind of hard to take slash's current work in complete earnestness -- what i mean is, he's courted the goofy self-parody image so much over the past few years that it almost shows through in his music... i'll put it this way, i wouldn't normally be as excited for a new song by slash and expect it to live up to his best works in the same way i might be looking forward to a new soundgarden song or something. there's just kind of inherently a different approach, and i don't want to sound like axl, but sometimes i think slash is just kind of coasting by on his laurels a bit, giving people what he thinks they expect to hear, without pushing himself.

that said, i really like this new record a lot, and i think myles is bringing the best out of him. it contains some of his best riffs in years. i'm digging it.

i think at the end of the day it will always be kind of hard to take slash's current work in complete earnestness -- what i mean is, he's courted the goofy self-parody image so much over the past few years that it almost shows through in his music... i'll put it this way, i wouldn't normally be as excited for a new song by slash and expect it to live up to his best works in the same way i might be looking forward to a new soundgarden song or something. there's just kind of inherently a different approach, and i don't want to sound like axl, but sometimes i think slash is just kind of coasting by on his laurels a bit, giving people what he thinks they expect to hear, without pushing himself.

that said, i really like this new record a lot, and i think myles is bringing the best out of him. it contains some of his best riffs in years. i'm digging it.

Riffs and solos. Riffs and solos. That's where it's at imo when it comes to Slash. That's where I expect quality. It's a shame though. I think Slash is a great fuckin' guitar player and is capable of much more. Really enjoying WOF though.

Really don't think he's focused on giving the people what they want. He has to know that VR or any other Supergroup would carry much more buzz and at least initial sales. He just is who he is and he's making the same type of music that he's dug since when he started. He's never wavered. But with 3 albums in 4 years you might be getting some fatigue if you're looking for something else from him. He has experimented with different styles, particularly on the 2010 solo debut and Elvis didn't let him coast on WOF. But it's unmistakably Slash.

My other favorite guitarist is Frusciante who, in contrast, has wandered off the fuckin' reservation with his last 3 solo records and barely even playing guitar anymore. All into experimental electronic stuff which really ain't his bag. So while it's cool to see musicians branch out, there's something to be said for the approach and consistency of a Slash. At the end of the day, Slash is a lead guitarist and as Rovim said, that means riffs and solos. He's not a master songwriter. So it's the frontman and other writers in the band that are gonna set one project apart from another.

• Like 1