Slash's Third Album - "World On Fire"

ZoSoRose

Myles didn't start playing guitar until Blackbird. Mark just really stepped up his game. Creed musically never was a bad band, whatever people might say.. They actually were really tight. With Mark stepping up his game and getting more artistic freedom the band became a lot more interesting.

Creed never did anything for me so I kind of ignored them. But I never noticed Tremonti as a guitar player till alter Bridge.

I think deluxe albums are a good solution for having a big jumble of songs. Release a tight album that gets more positively reviewed for its tight focus and drop all the oddities on the deluxe edition.

Like AL with Carolina and Crazy Life.

Slash (and Todd) claims that for now they just wanna put out all of the songs

Slash usually went with the "bonus tracks" way (since the 2nd Snakepit) he just try something new :headbang:

I prefer the 17 tracks. Lots of variety.

Myles didn't start playing guitar until Blackbird. Mark just really stepped up his game. Creed musically never was a bad band, whatever people might say.. They actually were really tight. With Mark stepping up his game and getting more artistic freedom the band became a lot more interesting.

Creed never did anything for me so I kind of ignored them. But I never noticed Tremonti as a guitar player till alter Bridge.

I think deluxe albums are a good solution for having a big jumble of songs. Release a tight album that gets more positively reviewed for its tight focus and drop all the oddities on the deluxe edition.

Slash usually went with the "bonus tracks" way (since the 2nd Snakepit) he just try something new :headbang:

+1 :thumbsup:

Yeah I don't think they should have not released 'em at all.... just maybe as freebies or deluxe additions... I dunno.

I just read a review that said:

"Slash featuring Myles Kennedy & the Conspirators is quite a mouthful for a band and World on Fire is quite a handful for an album. World on Fire stretches on and on, weighing in at 17 tracks, which is just one song longer than Use Your Illusion I, but where that record gained momentum (not to mention identity) through its mess, Slash featuring Myles Kennedy & the Conspirators gives the impression that they continue recording because they simply don't know when they're done. Perhaps a good edit or two would've turned the record into something leaner."

I just don't want it to turn people off the album.

Edited by Ant

Not a fan of Deluxe albums. I think Carolina should have been on AL for everyone.. It was too great of a song for everyone that bought the album not to have..

WOF is long but there aren't many if any songs that everyone agrees are weak. It seems like every song has someone that likes it on here. All the reviews I have seen have been pretty much 9/10 or 5 of 4 stars as well. I could see trimming it down two songs or some but no one agrees on which two hahaha. Good stuff \m/

At this moment I would say Dissident and Avalon with Shadow Life creeping behind them.. None of them are bad songs but just average to my ears. Atleast compared to the rest of the album...

I liked Creeds "My Own Prison" album when it came out.. I actually listened to it for the first time on like 10 years a couple weeks ago and it is still pretty good.. "Torn" is a great song.

Me too

The full album starts seriously grow on me, although i'm not a big fan of Myles

Okay, Shadow Life has now officially grown on me and I'd definitely add it to my list:

1. 30 Years To Life

2. Shadow Life

3. Wicked Stone

4. Bent To Fly

5. Beneath The Savage Sun

6. Withered Delilah

7. Battleground

8. Stone Blind

9. The Dissident

10. Iris Of The Storm

11. The Unholy

I also kind of like Dirty Girl, but not enough to put it on the main album. Would've made a nice iTunes bonus track or something.

I predict "Beneath the Savage Sun" and "Too Far Gone" will be the next 2 songs to smack you in the face ;)

I think Too Far Gone is about Axl. I know Myles wrote the lyrics, but I think he wrote them about Axl.

Don't think so. But as they say, if the shoe fits...

Paranoia and victimization are like breathing in GNR Land. And I actually think Too Far Gone = Jarmo, Withered Delilah = Beta, Shadow Life = DJ and The Dissident = Ron. Whole damn thing a sneak attack concept album against New GNR.

Now Ozzy DID pen Crucify The Dead against Axl(great song BTW), but that's Ozzy. He goes way back with the guys, thinks of himself as an authority on all this stuff and likes to insert himself. Total opposite of Myles.

But for TFG to be about Axl, the conversation must've been something like this:

Slash: Man, I know I write the music and you write the lyrics, but you need to do me a favor. You need to make 1 of these 17 tracks an attack song on Axl.

Myles: What? You know I don't want to have anything to do with that and have purposely stayed away from the subject. Plus you never had Scott do an Axl attack song on the 2 VR records and he actually hated the guy!! This never came up when we did the AL album either.

Slash: Look man, this is embarrassing for me to have to ask you, but just do it. You owe me, right?

Myles: (Blinks, looks puzzled)

Slash: And here's the thing. As embarrassing as this was for me to have to ask you, and as awkward as this will be for you as I know you don't want to do it, you can't make the song too obvious. The lyrics need to be broad enough so that reviewers and no one else notices what we're doing here except the GNR fan board vets who can crack the code. This is really for them whether they love it or hate it.

Myles: Just got an idea, I'll start the song off with something about "A kingdom lost, a ransom paid, a dying wish you got your way".

Slash: What the fuck does that even mean? Doesn't sound like anything to do with Axl.

Myles: Exactly, it sounds like most of my lyrics in Alter Bridge. Almost no one will be able to figure out our attack agenda.

Slash: OK, cool, man. Sounds like we got a winner here. Tee-hee. Thanks Myles, you're my boy!!!

Bet Todd and Fitzie were in on it, too. Must've been total inspiration writing about the singer Slash left 20 years ago, that none of these guys even know. Good stuff!!!

That's Ozzy? lol. Yeah...and this is Myles and to me, Too Far Gone is obviously about Axl. No conspiracy against new Guns. But it is possible that someone like Myles who has a long and fruitful musical relationship with Slash will think about what went down between Axl and Slash and write those lyrics.

Why Ozzy and not Myles? when you read the lyrics, it really seems like it's about Axl. It's just my guess, not saying it's true, no need to get so defensive. It's not a big deal anyway. Myles is a lyricist just like Ozzy is.

Edited by Rovim

Okay, Shadow Life has now officially grown on me and I'd definitely add it to my list:

1. 30 Years To Life

2. Shadow Life

3. Wicked Stone

4. Bent To Fly

6. Withered Delilah

7. Battleground

8. Stone Blind

9. The Dissident

10. Iris Of The Storm

11. The Unholy

I also kind of like Dirty Girl, but not enough to put it on the main album. Would've made a nice iTunes bonus track or something.

I predict "Beneath the Savage Sun" and "Too Far Gone" will be the next 2 songs to smack you in the face ;)

I think Too Far Gone is about Axl. I know Myles wrote the lyrics, but I think he wrote them about Axl.

Paranoia and victimization are like breathing in GNR Land. And I actually think Too Far Gone = Jarmo, Withered Delilah = Beta, Shadow Life = DJ and The Dissident = Ron. Whole damn thing a sneak attack concept album against New GNR.

Now Ozzy DID pen Crucify The Dead against Axl(great song BTW), but that's Ozzy. He goes way back with the guys, thinks of himself as an authority on all this stuff and likes to insert himself. Total opposite of Myles.

Slash: Man, I know I write the music and you write the lyrics, but you need to do me a favor. You need to make 1 of these 17 tracks an attack song on Axl.

Myles: What? You know I don't want to have anything to do with that and have purposely stayed away from the subject. Plus you never had Scott do an Axl attack song on the 2 VR records and he actually hated the guy!! This never came up when we did the AL album either.

Slash: Look man, this is embarrassing for me to have to ask you, but just do it. You owe me, right?

Slash: And here's the thing. As embarrassing as this was for me to have to ask you, and as awkward as this will be for you as I know you don't want to do it, you can't make the song too obvious. The lyrics need to be broad enough so that reviewers and no one else notices what we're doing here except the GNR fan board vets who can crack the code. This is really for them whether they love it or hate it.

Myles: Just got an idea, I'll start the song off with something about "A kingdom lost, a ransom paid, a dying wish you got your way".

Slash: What the fuck does that even mean? Doesn't sound like anything to do with Axl.

Myles: Exactly, it sounds like most of my lyrics in Alter Bridge. Almost no one will be able to figure out our attack agenda.

Slash: OK, cool, man. Sounds like we got a winner here. Tee-hee. Thanks Myles, you're my boy!!!

Bet Todd and Fitzie were in on it, too. Must've been total inspiration writing about the singer Slash left 20 years ago, that none of these guys even know. Good stuff!!!

That's Ozzy? lol. Yeah...and this is Myles and to me, Too Far Gone is obviously about Axl. No conspiracy against new Guns. But it is possible that someone like Myles who has a long and fruitful musical relationship with Slash will think about what went down between Axl and Slash and write those lyrics.

Why Ozzy and not Myles? when you read the lyrics, it really seem like it's about Axl. It's just my guess, not saying it's true, no need to get so defensive. It's not a big deal anyway. Myles is a lyricist just like Ozzy is. It's not impossible.

Another what the fuck were you thinking axl songs? Lol. Myles does say he draws inspiration for lyrics from outside situations since he has a finite inventory of personal experience. Maybe this is his take from an outsider.

1. 30 Years To Life

2. Shadow Life

3. Wicked Stone

4. Bent To Fly

6. Withered Delilah

7. Battleground

8. Stone Blind

9. The Dissident

10. Iris Of The Storm

11. The Unholy

:rofl-lol:

1. 30 Years To Life

2. Shadow Life

3. Wicked Stone

4. Bent To Fly

6. Withered Delilah

7. Battleground

8. Stone Blind

9. The Dissident

10. Iris Of The Storm

11. The Unholy

Why Ozzy and not Myles? when you read the lyrics, it really seems like it's about Axl. It's just my guess, not saying it's true, no need to get so defensive. It's not a big deal anyway. Myles is a lyricist just like Ozzy is.

Not being defensive, this is much ado about nothing. Just amazed at the line of thinking that assumes rock songs about a protagonist are Out Ta Get Axl. So was BBF's Piranha obviously about his time in GNR?

Why Ozzy and not Myles?

1. Ozzy has history with Old GNR, knew the members and was giving his viewpoint of the breakup and time spent since. Myles doesn't know Axl, only met Slash in the past 5 years and has absolutely no reason to give a shit about the breakup, let alone involve himself at this point. Unlike Ozzy, Myles is actively fronting Slash's band and is smart enough to know it is in his best interests, as he's demonstrated for several years now, NOT to touch the subject.

2. Slash has said on multiple occasions and included in his book that he was pissed at Scott for his ripping on Axl in his infamous diatribe. Slash has clearly said that it's OK if he(Slash) rips on Axl because he was there to experience it all and it's his fight. But pisses him off when others get involved. But we're supposed to believe that all the sudden Myles found inspiration to write and sing about Axl being "Too Far Gone"? You may know more about Myles than me, though I've seen him in countless interviews. Does this really seem in character for Myles to do?

3. Go read Alter Bridge lyrics. In most songs(like many rock songs) there is a similar protagonist and the lyrics could easily apply to Axl or any such breakup villain.

Look at the lyrics for Withered Delilah and swap out the WD for "Axl".

You are the clown for what you are

You had to break out every trick you could pull

But there comes a time where everything must turn off

Back to the start again

Back to the place where you come from

Stuck out of view

My withered delilah

You know it's true that no one cares anymore

Stuck out of view

You had your time

But now your moment is all but gone

Oh it's gone

Lost in a daze

What have you done?

Diggin' a grave to be your own

You're soon to fade

But just too blind to let go

Of what you had

And what you were

Irrelevance hurts but you're not alone

Stuck out of view

My withered delilah

Stuck out of view

You had your time

So pack your diamond rings

All your pretty things

And just move along

'Cause there's always somebody else to replace you

When you are gone

(When you are gone, Hey yeah)

Stuck out of view

My withered delilah

Stuck out of view

You had your time

Stuck out of view

My withered delilah

Stuck out of view

You had your time

The moment is all but gone

Oh it's gone

Edited by Turn_It_Up

1. 30 Years To Life

2. Shadow Life

3. Wicked Stone

4. Bent To Fly

6. Withered Delilah

7. Battleground

8. Stone Blind

9. The Dissident

10. Iris Of The Storm

11. The Unholy

Not being defensive, this is much ado about nothing. Just amazed at the line of thinking that assumes rock songs about a protagonist are Out Ta Get Axl. So was BBF's Piranha obviously about his time in GNR?

Why Ozzy and not Myles?

1. Ozzy has history with Old GNR, knew the members and was giving his viewpoint of the breakup and time spent since. Myles doesn't know Axl, only met Slash in the past 5 years and has absolutely no reason to give a shit about the breakup, let alone involve himself at this point. Unlike Ozzy, Myles is actively fronting Slash's band and is smart enough to know it is in his best interests, as he's demonstrated for several years now, NOT to touch the subject.

2. Slash has said on multiple occasions and included in his book that he was pissed at Scott for his ripping on Axl in his infamous diatribe. Slash has clearly said that it's OK if he(Slash) rips on Axl because he was there to experience it all and it's his fight. But pisses him off when others get involved. But we're supposed to believe that all the sudden Myles found inspiration to write and sing about Axl being "Too Far Gone"? You may know more about Myles than me, though I've seen him in countless interviews. Does this really seem in character for Myles to do?

3. Go read Alter Bridge lyrics. In most songs(like many rock songs) there is a similar protagonist and the lyrics could easily apply to Axl or any such breakup villain.

Look at the lyrics for Withered Delilah and swap out the WD for "Axl".

You are the clown for what you are

You had to break out every trick you could pull

But there comes a time where everything must turn off

Back to the start again

Back to the place where you come from

Stuck out of view

My withered delilah

Stuck out of view

You had your time

Oh it's gone

Lost in a daze

What have you done?

Diggin' a grave to be your own

You're soon to fade

But just too blind to let go

Of what you had

And what you were

Irrelevance hurts but you're not alone

Stuck out of view

My withered delilah

Stuck out of view

You had your time

So pack your diamond rings

All your pretty things

And just move along

'Cause there's always somebody else to replace you

When you are gone

(When you are gone, Hey yeah)

Stuck out of view

My withered delilah

Stuck out of view

You had your time

Stuck out of view

My withered delilah

Stuck out of view

You had your time

Oh it's gone

You put words in my mouth man. Don't be amazed. Check my posts again. All I've said is that I think Too Far Gone is about Axl. Didn't say anything about out to get Axl or some shit. Just like I think it's clear Ozzy wrote Crucify about Axl, I think Too Far Gone is about Axl as well. I can't prove it, I don't present it as fact.

Your post I've just quoted does come off as defensive to me cause you make it out to be some big thing when it's just what I think it is based only on reading the lyrics while listening to the tune.

Edited by Rovim

Nothing would be lamer than if these guys were still trading revenge songs(we just disagree on whether TFG qualifies). Like taking personal squabbles on the forum to PM, if Axl and Slash still have shit to get off their chests, meet and talk or fight, or vent to a shrink. Or just shut the fuck up. But don't be clogging up your albums with it 'cause, really, almost no one gives a shit anymore. :lol:

The lyrics were the worst part of CD and hopefully Axl can dig deep to find new subjects to go after other than the same ancient girlfriends and bandmates.

1 man singing about another man almost never comes off well. But if you are going to do it, better to rage than whine. The lesson of CD...

Given the album 6 or 7 full play throughs.

My favourite album of work Slash has produced since GNR, really digging it. Even the title track has grown on me, prefer it to You're A Lie now (which is one of two songs that I like from AL, no prizes for guessing what the other one is). Self-titled I liked as a "pop-rock" album, but this album fucking ROCKS. Even digging Myles' vocals and melodies, though his lyrics aren't the most memorable or profound.

Quick track-by-track thoughts:

1. World on Fire: Goddamn it if "TRIP THE WIIIIIRRRRREEE" isn't nonsensical but catchy. Like a lot of songs on the album, I can't help but play air guitar to it. 7.5/10

2. Shadow Life: Pretty cool, I don't skip it when it comes on. 6/10

3. Automatic Overdrive: Love the riff on this. 7/10

4. Wicked Stone: This and the following track are my favourites. Slash and Myles kick all sorts of ass. 8.5/10

5. 30 Years to Life: CAN'T STOP PLAYING AIR GUITAR 8.5/10

6. Bent to Fly: Like the solo 7/10

7. Stone Blind: Not bad, but I generally skip it: 5/10

8. Too Far Gone: Found it generic at first but found myself singing the lyrics in my head one day, and the solo's catchy: 6/10

9. Beneath the Savage Sun: 3rd favourite track on the album, what a fucking solo and outro: 8/10

10. Withered Delilah: Is this about Axl? :P 6.5/10

11. Battleground: Not in love with it, but it's grown on me: 7/10

12. Dirty Girl: Fun track but I tend to skip it: 5.5/10

13. Iris of the Storm: Bit too Apocalyptic Love-y for me: 5/10

14. Avalon: Kicking riff 7/10

15. The Dissident: Seriously, where is Slash getting all these great riffs from? 7.5/10

16. Safari Inn: Not bad, solo lifts it up 6.5/10

17. The Unholy: First few minutes are pretty damn good, everything from 5:20 on from Slash and Myles is mindmeltingly awesome, what an album closer: 8/10

Even though my scores wouldn't average to it, I'll give the album an 8/10 since there's still a good number of songs that I just can't stop listening to.

I'm happy that It's Five O'Clock Somewhere was not released as a GNR album. But if World on Fire had Axl vocals and lyrics, it'd be a fucking killer Guns N' Roses record. Don't love it as much as ChiDem but I'm still very pleasantly surprised, might have to get a ticket for that 2nd Paris show...

Last friday I was delivering some help for agriculture producers who were affected by floods in my country and with me was 47 years old co-worker who grew up on Doors, Zeppelin, Hendrix and Joplin. He also likes System of down and similar music. He is familiar with old GnR, didnt listen them too much at their peak of the fame but he said that they had some really great songs and were the biggest band at the time.

So I asked him did he listen new Slash's album and he said no. So we jumped in the car and went to do our work. We have listened the album for 3 times and he was like, air guitar playing and drumming, sometimes banging his head in the rhytm of few songs and he really liked it, especially praised the production and the sound. He didnt say anything about Myles and his singing neither he complained not once. When we get back to the office, he said "Can you burn me this album on cd?" I said no problem :)

Personally, I was really happy for that and I gotta say that this album is really great and I just cant stop listening. Everything us so tight, production is great, I love drumming, Myles sang perfect and as simeone said here before "if it was Axl singing on this album, this would be a killer album"

My review of the album: 9/10

• Like 2