Slash's Third Album - "World On Fire"

ZoSoRose

Am I the only one who digs Dirty Girl? Seen a lot of disdain for it on this thread, but I actually think it's a pretty solid track, great shuffling rhythm guitar riff, big catchy chorus.... What's not to like??

I like it too.. At first I thought was just ok, but it has definately grown on me.. Especially from the solo on..

Wicked Stone's outro is probably one of the best pieces of music I've heard this year. The notes Slash's chooses give it a very dramatic and GNR-esque feel to it, around the 5:00 mark to be more precise... Shit, it's just too good. Amazing rock song.

It's good and the song itself is one of my two favourites on the album (along with 30 Years to Life), but the outro to The Unholy is the best outro on the album in my opinion. 4:40 it starts to build up, and everything from 5:20 on is the best work from Slash and Myles on the album.

• Like 1

Wicked Stone's outro is probably one of the best pieces of music I've heard this year. The notes Slash's chooses give it a very dramatic and GNR-esque feel to it, around the 5:00 mark to be more precise... Shit, it's just too good. Amazing rock song.

...but the outro to The Unholy is the best outro on the album in my opinion. 4:40 it starts to build up, and everything from 5:20 on is the best work from Slash and Myles on the album.

Yes...and Yes. It took me a few listens to take the whole track in and actually pay attention to the lyrics. But damn, what a payoff, a masterpiece IMO...

...but the outro to The Unholy is the best outro on the album in my opinion. 4:40 it starts to build up, and everything from 5:20 on is the best work from Slash and Myles on the album.

Yes...and Yes. It took me a few listens to take the whole track in and actually pay attention to the lyrics. But damn, what a payoff, a masterpiece IMO...

The first few minutes of the song have grown on me, but I wonder if the song would be better/more successful if a minute or so was trimmed from the middle so you get to that epic outro a bit sooner? Thought the same of Locomotive as well. Read somewhere that SCOM originally had 3 verses but one of the producers or record label guys made them cut it down to two, I think that was the right choice, album version is perfect length (though the radio/music video cut butchers the song).

I'm so bipolar with this album. Just listened to the entire thing again and I'm starting to appreciate it in a "one sitting" sense like I did Apocalyptic Love. It definitely loses steam in the second half though.

Stone Blind, Too Far Gone, Withered Delilah, Dirty Girl, Iris of the Storm, Avalon, The Dissident, Safari Inn and The Unholy are all completely expendable.

I'd also like to apologize for what I said about Wicked Stone. Wonderful song.

Edited by bacardimayne
  • Like 1

Stone Blind, Too Far Gone, Withered Delilah, Dirty Girl, Iris of the Storm, Avalon, The Dissident, Safari Inn and The Unholy are all completely expendable.

I guess Slash didn't want to release special editions with "bonus tracks"? Yeah, I tend to skip those tracks, but even when I give the album a full playthrough (usually in two sessions) I still find them better than most of the forgettable fluff on AL.

Honestly, the only song on AL I skip (not counting bonus tracks) is Bad Rain. I fucking love that album front to back.

I can't even remember half the tracks. The end result of recording that whole album live is that in my opinion most of the songs end up sounding the same. I think Elvis must have helped both Slash and Myles step up their game for WoF. The outro vocals from Myles on The Unholy are the best thing I've heard from him from his collaborations with Slash.

I will say that AL's production is more listenable these days than the self-titled 2010 album. I like a lot of songs from the self-titled album but the overdone production has really dated it after just a few years.

• Like 1

1. World on Fire

2. Shadow Life

3. Automatic Overdrive

4. Wicked Stone

5. 30 Years to Life

6. Bent to Fly

7. Beneath the Savage Sun

8. Withered Delilah

9. Battleground

10. Avalon

11. The Dissident

12. The Unholy

Would've been a much better album.

With Safari Inn as a bonus track ;)

Honestly, the only song on AL I skip (not counting bonus tracks) is Bad Rain. I fucking love that album front to back.

Totally agree. WOF is great and I'm glad you've come around to it, but listened to some selections from AL last week for the first time in a long time and forgot how solid that release is. Easily the worst track to me is Bad Rain, with everything else really being amazing. Never understood the hate for that album.

And I pretty much agree with your concise album. I think WOF is strong as is, and when I'm forced to cut I don't really know what I would, but yours is a pretty balanced way with all the highlights that seemed to have had the most impact. I'd probably replace either Shadow Life or Bent To Fly with Stone Blind, purely out of personal opinion, but I think you do pick the 12 strongest or at least most representative of the diversity of the record.

Lastly, I'd like to thank this thread for reminding me about Crucify The Dead. Always loved it but realized I never truly read the lyrics and almost makes it more amazing than I previously thought, which was pretty hard to do. Ozzy and Slash really knocked that one out of park, whether its about Axl or otherwise. Those lyrics are really really great.

Really think Withered Delilah is about Axl...

You are the clown for what you are
You had to break out every trick you could pull
But there comes a time when everything must turn off

Back to the start again
Back to the place where you come from

Stuck out of view
My withered delilah
You know it's true that no one cares anymore
Stuck out of view
You had your time
But now your moment is all but gone

Oh it's gone

Lost in a daze
What have you done?
Diggin' a grave to be your own
You're soon to fade
But just too blind to let go
Of what you had
And what you were
Irrelevance hurts but you're not alone

So pack your diamond rings
All your pretty things
And just move along
'Cause there's always somebody else to replace you
When you are gone

(When you are gone, Hey yeah)

The moment is all but gone
Oh it's gone

Withered Delilah = Axl Rose (delilahs are a kind of rose, and Axl is getting on a bit). Break out every trick you could pull = keyboards and synths and session players for ChiDem. Diamond rings, well, Axl wears a lot of them. "Irrelevance hurts", and "the moment is all but gone" seem to point to the futility of any reunion now. I know Myles supposedly wrote all the lyrics but maybe Slash snuck this one in there :P

Really think Withered Delilah is about Axl...

You are the clown for what you are

You had to break out every trick you could pull

But there comes a time when everything must turn off

Back to the start again

Back to the place where you come from

Stuck out of view

My withered delilah

You know it's true that no one cares anymore

Stuck out of view

You had your time

But now your moment is all but gone

Oh it's gone

Lost in a daze

What have you done?

Diggin' a grave to be your own

You're soon to fade

But just too blind to let go

Of what you had

And what you were

Irrelevance hurts but you're not alone

So pack your diamond rings

All your pretty things

And just move along

'Cause there's always somebody else to replace you

When you are gone

(When you are gone, Hey yeah)

Oh it's gone

Withered Delilah = Axl Rose (delilahs are a kind of rose, and Axl is getting on a bit). Break out every trick you could pull = keyboards and synths and session players for ChiDem. Diamond rings, well, Axl wears a lot of them. "Irrelevance hurts", and "the moment is all but gone" seem to point to the futility of any reunion now. I know Myles supposedly wrote all the lyrics but maybe Slash snuck this one in there :P

Myles said in an interview that he wrote it about the treatment of old movie stars after seeing a story on tv or something like that. I doubt it's about Axl.
  • Like 1