Slash's Third Album - "World On Fire"

ZoSoRose

Myles said in an interview that he wrote it about the treatment of old movie stars after seeing a story on tv or something like that. I doubt it's about Axl.

Fair enough, I just thought the choice of "delilah" was interesting, though it does have an old Hollywood movie star sound to it as well.

Myles said in an interview that he wrote it about the treatment of old movie stars after seeing a story on tv or something like that. I doubt it's about Axl.

Fair enough, I just thought the choice of "delilah" was interesting, though it does have an old Hollywood movie star sound to it as well.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from though. I think a bunch of guns fans might think it's about him. But Myles lyrics are usually pretty vague.

i'll find out the exact quote from Myles but he said "Too Far Gone" is not about someone in particular....
Withered Delilah was written after he read an article about entertainement: actresses getting old in Hollywood and how is hard to find a job, i'll find out the quote too. ;)

• Like 1

Really think Withered Delilah is about Axl...

You are the clown for what you are

You had to break out every trick you could pull

But there comes a time when everything must turn off

Back to the start again

Back to the place where you come from

Stuck out of view

My withered delilah

You know it's true that no one cares anymore

Stuck out of view

You had your time

But now your moment is all but gone

Oh it's gone

Lost in a daze

What have you done?

Diggin' a grave to be your own

You're soon to fade

But just too blind to let go

Of what you had

And what you were

Irrelevance hurts but you're not alone

So pack your diamond rings

All your pretty things

And just move along

'Cause there's always somebody else to replace you

When you are gone

(When you are gone, Hey yeah)

The moment is all but gone

Oh it's gone

Withered Delilah = Axl Rose (delilahs are a kind of rose, and Axl is getting on a bit). Break out every trick you could pull = keyboards and synths and session players for ChiDem. Diamond rings, well, Axl wears a lot of them. "Irrelevance hurts", and "the moment is all but gone" seem to point to the futility of any reunion now. I know Myles supposedly wrote all the lyrics but maybe Slash snuck this one in there :P

They're all about Axl. Safari Inn as well.

Too Far Gone: It's about a personality type: a person whose actions will usually bring about consequences that are not necessarily the best. The song isn't about anybody in particular - it's about a type. A type we all know.
WD: it's inspired by an article I read about the entertainement industry, and the movie industry in particular. A lot of times when actresses reach their later years, they're not used any more in films. they kind of become irrelevant because their beauty fades.

Quotes from WoF Classic Rock Fan Pack ;)

1. World on Fire

2. Shadow Life

3. Automatic Overdrive

4. Wicked Stone

5. 30 Years to Life

6. Bent to Fly

7. Beneath the Savage Sun

8. Withered Delilah

9. Battleground

10. Avalon

11. The Dissident

12. The Unholy

Would've been a much better album.

How DARE you leave out dirty girl! It's so funky. Also, too far gone and safari inn are epic tracks. The dissident is a load of bollocks.

• Like 1

I'm so bipolar with this album. Just listened to the entire thing again and I'm starting to appreciate it in a "one sitting" sense like I did Apocalyptic Love. It definitely loses steam in the second half though.

Stone Blind, Too Far Gone, Withered Delilah, Dirty Girl, Iris of the Storm, Avalon, The Dissident, Safari Inn and The Unholy are all completely expendable.

I'd also like to apologize for what I said about Wicked Stone. Wonderful song.

Stone Blind? Really? I LOVE that song hahaha. I like most of those songs to be honest.. I actually love Iris of the Storm, but I didn't care for it early on. I was CRANKING it the other day.

The only songs I could really do without are probably Avalon, Shadow Life and Disident..

Edited by Tom-Ass

Really think Withered Delilah is about Axl...

You are the clown for what you are

You had to break out every trick you could pull

But there comes a time when everything must turn off

Back to the start again

Back to the place where you come from

Stuck out of view

My withered delilah

You know it's true that no one cares anymore

Stuck out of view

You had your time

But now your moment is all but gone

Oh it's gone

Lost in a daze

What have you done?

Diggin' a grave to be your own

You're soon to fade

But just too blind to let go

Of what you had

And what you were

Irrelevance hurts but you're not alone

So pack your diamond rings

All your pretty things

And just move along

'Cause there's always somebody else to replace you

When you are gone

(When you are gone, Hey yeah)

Oh it's gone

Withered Delilah = Axl Rose (delilahs are a kind of rose, and Axl is getting on a bit). Break out every trick you could pull = keyboards and synths and session players for ChiDem. Diamond rings, well, Axl wears a lot of them. "Irrelevance hurts", and "the moment is all but gone" seem to point to the futility of any reunion now. I know Myles supposedly wrote all the lyrics but maybe Slash snuck this one in there :P

They're all about Axl. Safari Inn as well.

:rofl-lol:

Overall I'm digging a few tracks.

Already skipping some stuff.

17 tracks of Myles in a row is a bit hard to digest.

I hear some cool tracks musically but Myles sometimes drags them back to an '87 Sunset Strip vibe which doesn't work for me at all.

Some of the lyrics and melodies he comes up with...I dunno. :shrugs:

I think Slash has a solid backup band but for future releases if he wants to take things higher it might be time to look around for a new front man. :ph34r:

There are a few go to tracks for me, then I find myself hitting the skip button...nope...nope...nope.

Having said that, I looove these guys live and can't wait to see this tour a time or two. :shades:

Overall I'm digging a few tracks.

Already skipping some stuff.

17 tracks of Myles in a row is a bit hard to digest.

I hear some cool tracks musically but Myles sometimes drags them back to an '87 Sunset Strip vibe which doesn't work for me at all.

Some of the lyrics and melodies he comes up with...I dunno. :shrugs:

I think Slash has a solid backup band but for future releases if he wants to take things higher it might be time to look around for a new front man. :ph34r:

There are a few go to tracks for me, then I find myself hitting the skip button...nope...nope...nope.

Having said that, I looove these guys live and can't wait to see this tour a time or two. :shades:

Interesting. Wondered why you were being so quiet. :lol:

What you state is exactly how I felt about AL and had rather low expectations for this album--but I love Myles on this. No weariness at all which is shocking. So I even went back to AL to see if I had just "gotten use" to Myles now--and I still want to take a F'in sledgehammer to my speakers hearing Myles on faster AL tracks like Halo. :wacko:

Total 360 for me on this record, but he does have a voice a lot of people aren't gonna take to. Commercially it's a detriment, don't think there's any doubt...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

I've had it in the car solid since it came out.

I kept hoping I was going to reach that "oh my god this is amazing' level with it as a whole.

It's not happening.

In fact, I find myself playing fewer tracks and I'm ready to take a break and pop something else in the deck for a while. :shrugs:

I have been listening this album for 10 days, few times a day, on the work, in the car, at home and I just couldn't let it go! I took 3 days off of listening the album but I'm still waiting my friend to bring me the original cd in few days and I will just lay back in my couch, pour some good "rakija" in my glass and blast it off all day 'til the roofs come falling down :)

I just can't think of any song that I would cut off of the album, everytime I found something new, new riff, new voice, new drum or break down in some song that I haven't notice so every song is like a new beggining :) cheers and thank U Slash, Myles & Conspirators for bringing the rnfcknroll back!

• Like 2

So we've gotten to the point of--

Poor Myles, guy can't even write lyrics with his usual themes w/o some of the GNR fan base wanting to apply it to Axl.

Poor Axl, any song about the subject being out of control and/or causing his own downfall is assumed to be about Axl. Throw in the subject becoming irrelevant and people think it HAS to be about Axl.

Might be time to lay off the pipe... :tongue2:

Poor Myles, guy can't even write lyrics with his usual themes w/o some of the GNR fan base wanting to apply it to Axl.

Poor Axl, any song about the subject being out of control and/or causing his own downfall is assumed to be about Axl. Throw in the subject becoming irrelevant and people think it HAS to be about Axl.

So how about everyone who assumes Sorry is about Slash? Should they lay off the pipe? I mean, Axl clearly said it isn't about anyone in particular.

So how about everyone who assumes Sorry is about Slash? Should they lay off the pipe? I mean, Axl clearly said it isn't about anyone in particular.

But there's a big difference. Axl is always writing about ex-bandmates, ex-girlfriends, etc. CD was his My December album. There is a track record there unlike with Myles.

Crucify The Dead from Ozzy clearly about Axl. And Sorry clearly about Slash with its "Shut up and sing" reference and other lines obviously about Slash.

Axl writing lyrics about Slash far more plausible and even understandable than Myles writing and singing about Axl. The dots don't connect, IMO.

If Myles did write those lyrics about Axl, would be a huge bitch move and don't see that from him. You do?

Edited by Turn_It_Up

But there's a big difference. Axl is always writing about ex-bandmates, ex-girlfriends, etc. CD was his My December album. There is a track record there unlike with Myles.

Crucify The Dead from Ozzy clearly about Axl. And Sorry clearly about Slash with its "Shut up and sing" reference and other lines obviously about Slash.

Axl writing lyrics about Slash far more plausible and even understandable than Myles writing and singing about Axl. The dots don't connect, IMO.

If Myles did write those lyrics about Axl, would be a huge bitch move and don't see that from him. You do?

See, here's the thing. I'm not trying to stick up for Axl or anything. It's just clear as day that at the very least, CTD, Nothing to Say and Too Far Gone are about Axl.

"Still you're much further away, singing our songs of yesterday, while so much still stands in the way"

That line is as blatant as "a loaded gun jammed by a rose".

Too Far Gone describes Axl to a t. I'm not some delusional Axl fan who thinks Slash is being mean or lying. I'm all for Slash taking it to Axl (and vice versa, they're both cunts) but it's pretty annoying seeing him get his shots in while appearing to take the high road.

"Still you're much further away, singing our songs of yesterday, while so much still stands in the way"

That could mean anything. Didn't M. Shadows wrote those lyrics? His involvement with anything GNR-related is just nothing more but just being influenced by the band, just like Myles. He just heard some riffs, wrote some lyrics that's somewhat goes with the style of his band, Avenged Sevenfold, and just let it roll. I don't see it as a message to anyone specific or any other songs released by Slash with the exception of Crucify the Dead which I will get to.

That said, Ozzy's lyrics is definitely was about something GNR-related. "We were like brothers with the world in our hands. You always have too much to say. Someday you look back and you wonder why. You let it all slip away, yeah". Those lyrics' meaning looks really really clearer and blatant than what Shadows and Myles wrote in their songs with Slash.

Edited by Anguyen92