Would you rather get one new song from the classic GNR or an entire album from various later musicians associated with GNR?

CoolRanchDressing

I don't think they're going to get back together. And yes, I recognize that somebody could think the new lineup is better than the old one. Personally, I can't take anyone who is dumb enough to think that seriously. That's my opinion.

I don't think that either. I can't see them getting back together again, alas. So what I would really like to hear is a song from the leftover material from the UYI albums.

I don't think they're going to get back together. And yes, I recognize that somebody could think the new lineup is better than the old one. Personally, I can't take anyone who is dumb enough to think that seriously. That's my opinion.

The question this thread presented was not what was the better line up, it was what people here prefer and asking us to Choose between one classic Guns song and an entire new album from later line ups of the band, so I guess you were not clever enough to figure that out? Hmmm...

It's easy to quickly judge other people and calling someone dumb just because they don't share your view.

Nothing will ever be better then the classic line up's chemistry and music, but it's not like we have 10 Gn'R albums to enjoy. This is why I'd take a full album of great music if it's in the same direction like Chinese (imo) over one song that could maybe be brilliant based only on the band's history when the old members were in their prime.

Edited by Rovim

Yes I know what the thread is about. You went off topic by asking me a question and I answered you. The second part of your post is too laughable to comment on so I will be polite and refrain for the most part. You're welcome.

Sorry CRD!

For those choosing a new band album, let me put it another way. What if the classic band had hypothetically recorded a song for Appetite that - for some odd reason- did not make the final album but is on par in terms of quality with Sweet Child or Jungle? Would you honestly prefer, presumably another album as misguided and messy as Chinese, full of poor quality material like Shackler's and Scraped, to another Nightrain or Brownstone? Now I like CD but it is nowhere near the calibre of Appetite. Appetite's songs define a generation. They are raw, with massive hooklines, big singable choruses and guitar solos which always make 'top 100 guitar solo' lists. In contrast, Democracy is merely a muddle. Imagine having another Appetite classic?

Edited by DieselDaisy

Yes I know what the thread is about. You went off topic by asking me a question and I answered you. The second part of your post is too laughable to comment on so I will be polite and refrain for the most part. You're welcome.

Sorry CRD!

Yes, you do now. After I pointed that out to you, cause it sure didn't seem like you knew before my previous post.

Please explain to me how the second part of my post is 'too laughable to comment on' cause I prefer that over you being 'polite'.

Perhaps you can't think of a decent reply to the point I've made. If that's the case, then it's ok, you could have just admitted that.

And btw, the only question I've asked you was 'what sense?' which was rhetorical as I've followed it right away with my opinion on why it was a matter of personal preference and not logic or an objective view or fact.

Wasn't off topic at all, it's just a case of you not having anything to back up your contributions to this thread.

Edited by Rovim

Oh dear Rovim, perhaps try reading the thread before commenting. I had commented previously so obviously I knew what the thread was about. Derr. You just got your knickers in a twist because I don't agree with your opinion. Please feel free to continue to bitch about it though.

Edit: the board didn't take my original comment. :( I'll give you that one.

Edited by Dariablue

For those choosing a new band album, let me put it another way. What if the classic band had hypothetically recorded a song for Appetite that - for some odd reason- did not make the final album but is on par in terms of quality with Sweet Child or Jungle? Would you honestly prefer, presumably another album as misguided and messy as Chinese, full of poor quality material like Shackler's and Scraped, to another Nightrain or Brownstone? Now I like CD but it is nowhere near the calibre of Appetite. Appetite's songs define a generation. They are raw, with massive hooklines, big singable choruses and guitar solos which always make 'top 100 guitar solo' lists. In contrast, Democracy is merely a muddle. Imagine having another Appetite classic?

First of all, I don't think Chinese is messy or misguided enough to make my listening experience of it anything less then great.

Second, even in hypothetic land, why would a song that is on the same level of Jungle and SCOM would not make it on Appetite or Illusions? a VERY odd reason indeed.

The problematic nature of your question aside, Nightrain is one of my favorite Guns songs and if it was a song on the caliber of Jungle, SCOM, or Brownstone I would choose it over a new Guns album, but I will probably regret it later and I'll always wonder what another album from the Bucket era sounded like. Kinda like I'm doing now and will probably do for a long fucking time.

Edited by Rovim

Oh dear Rovim, perhaps try reading the thread before commenting. I had commented previously so obviously I knew what the thread was about. Derr. You just got your knickers in a twist because I don't agree with your opinion. Please feel free to continue to bitch about it though.

Edit: the board didn't take my original comment. :( I'll give you that one.

I don't bitch about shit. My intention was the same as always: to discuss whatever the thread is about.

I don't have any problem with people disagreeing with me. Besides, it's not about me, I just thought this thread was interesting and was worth discussing.

I'd probably go for the one song with old GnR. Chances are I'll like it a lot as I did with pretty much of everything they ever did minus a few songs. With new GnR I'm likely to get more of CD type stuff which is ok but meh.

If you asked me this 5 years ago I'd take the full album by new GnR but as far as I'm concerned new GNR is done. The ship has sailed so give me a kick ass YCBM type song from the old guys and It'd be a nice way to cap off GnR

• Like 1

Sorry to burst your bubble as hypothetical as it is but, GnR used the left over appetite tracks on the Illusions albums (You could be mine, Don't cry etc.) and I actually love shacklers revenge! not so much Scraped though... definitely misguided.

One final thing, It's completely unfair to compare CD to Appetite or the Illusions albums... people have lived with them for 20+ years they were also the first things we heard from the band... Appetite is a masterpiece! Use your illusions is really good! but so is CD... great album, but cannot and should not be compared to the old records in the same way that Metallica shouldn't be compared to their old records. Is DM as good as Master of puppets? probably not, but it's still a good album with advancements on the metallica sound... CD is a good record for completely different to the reason UYI or Appetite are good records and it's really hard to explain why... at the end of the day it's up to you if you like something or not but for me I listen to the album all the time and that proves to me at least that it as something beyond a name (many flaws admitted, but some amazing moments).

Now... to answer your question, yes If said material existed I would want to hear it, it would be amazing (definitely not of the calibre of SCOM or Jungle... you don\t forget about songs like that!!!)... although I think I'd prefer a UYI era song.

Second, even in hypothetic land, why would a song that is on the same level of Jungle and SCOM would not make it on Appetite or Illusions? a VERY odd reason indeed.

Sorry to burst your bubble as hypothetical as it is but, GnR used the left over appetite tracks on the Illusions albums (You could be mine, Don't cry etc.) and I actually love shacklers revenge! not so much Scraped though... definitely misguided.

People do not seem to understand the word 'hypothetical' on here (I am well aware that the bulk of the leftovers ended up on Illusion and that there was nothing else recorded for Appetite)!

I guess this question rests on how much you liked Chinese Democracy and place that album in relation to the old albums. I personally thought the album was a complete mess for many reasons (over production, horrible lyrics, etc), whereas, I happen to rank Appetite in my 'top five albums of all time' list. The question therefore is a complete no brainer for me. Also, there is a tendency (however incorrect) to believe that the 'best' of those 1998-2002 era sessions ended up on the first album which is Democracy. So if you consider Democracy ‘weak‘, it does not bode very well for future albums of the same material, does it?

But on the other hand, what if the song is on par in terms of quality with Anything Goes and Sentimental Movie, while the new band album is full of songs on the caliber of TWAT and Catcher?

I would be happy with an album of

Josh Freese

Chris Pitman

Dizzy Reed

Buckethead

Bumblefoot

Fortus

Stinson

Axl

Simply put, replaced dj with bucket, replace frank with josh, and you would have the best gnr lineup ever.

"Best" based on what? I'm sorry, but opinions like this are dumb as shit. That group of musicians has NEVER made music together. That group minus BBF made some of CD, so no need to say more to 99% of the music listening public. So on what criteria from the real world would they be the best GNR lineup ever? Just cuz they're your randomly assembled favorite individuals?

This is just like that other thread with some people saying GNR with Frusciante would have been the best EVAAAAAARRRR!!! You can't just pick your personal all-star team, call them a band, and assume they'd pump out classics. Music doesn't work like that. Never has, never will.

• Like 4

Josh Freese

Chris Pitman

Dizzy Reed

Buckethead

Bumblefoot

Fortus

Stinson

Axl

Simply put, replaced dj with bucket, replace frank with josh, and you would have the best gnr lineup ever.

"Best" based on what? I'm sorry, but opinions like this are dumb as shit. That group of musicians has NEVER made music together. That group minus BBF made some of CD, so no need to say more to 99% of the music listening public. So on what criteria from the real world would they be the best GNR lineup ever? Just cuz they're your randomly assembled favorite individuals?

This is just like that other thread with some people saying GNR with Frusciante would have been the best EVAAAAAARRRR!!! You can't just pick your personal all-star team, call them a band, and assume they'd pump out classics. Music doesn't work like that. Never has, never will.

This.

One example I always think of when it comes to this is the VHIII debacle. Being a fan of Extreme and Cherone in general, I was stoked when he was announced as the replacement for Sammy. On paper, it was a perfect. Then came the album. Outside of the lead single, there wasn't any good music on it at all. I like a lot of the musicians on that list up there and I like the way a lot of them have contributed to GN'R here and there, but none of that means they'd work when trying to put out a GN'R album together.

• Like 1

Josh Freese

Chris Pitman

Dizzy Reed

Buckethead

Bumblefoot

Fortus

Stinson

Axl

I couldn't agree more.

Josh Freese

Chris Pitman

Dizzy Reed

Buckethead

Bumblefoot

Fortus

Stinson

Axl

Someone should have told Axl that back in the day, might have avoided 20 years of gibberish.