The Linguini Occurrence

I think all of the lyrics from ADKOT are brand new from DLR. At least, I think they are. I know that Big River and Beats Workin' are pretty close musically to their old demos (Big Trouble and Put Out The Lights), but the lyrics are completely different.

I'm not sure about some of the others, though. I believe EVH's solos are also refined from older takes, but also have a lot of newer parts to them.

Edited by Zeppelin

Big River used to be called Big Trouble or Trouble, something like that.

From Wikipedia:

"The songs on A Different Kind of Truth were described by Roth as "a sort of collaboration with [Van Halen's] past."[7] Seven tracks that appear on the album are based on material which Roth notes, "Eddie and I generated, literally, in 1975, 1976, and 1977",[7] and Eddie added that some tracks were written "when I was still in high school and even junior high."[3] "Blood and Fire" dates back to 1984, when it was an instrumental known as "Ripley" featured in Eddie's score for the movie The Wild Life.[8] The original title was inspired by Eddie using a Ripley guitar on the demo, and he sent the guitar back to Steve Ripley for fixing to use it on the album version.[3]"

So 7/13 is less than I thought. And I know you weren't trying to change my opinion, I do genuinely appreciate you guys pointing this out to me.

EDIT: Yup, Zeppelin posted that as I was typing this, didn't see it until I posted. And relistening to those demos posted above, they sound great to me. I know they are sonically not as high quality, but I much prefer them over the ADKOT versions.

I always thought this one didn't get the attention it deserved:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-XAeT5ACVg

Edited by OmarBradley

I dislike the argument that Sammy Hagar more or less started about VH using old material. So what if they didn't write anything "new". Us gnr fans would shit a gold brick of Axl and Slash someday finished up the illusion leftovers and 96' sessions and released that. So thats complete BS for me or any other "fans" to use that arguement against VH.

I dislike the argument that Sammy Hagar more or less started about VH using old material. So what if they didn't write anything "new". Us gnr fans would shit a gold brick of Axl and Slash someday finished up the illusion leftovers and 96' sessions and released that. So thats complete BS for me or any other "fans" to use that arguement against VH.

I want to say that I agree with that completely now, but I'm not sure I do yet. On the one hand I want to say that's completely right, and I don't have exigence to my argument. I don't have a good argument against it other than that I simply like everything GNR (85-96) did. I would with full confidence say that I would love/like all of those UYI leftovers and unfinished 96 session work (though perhaps by then the band had changed too much). Basically, I like VH a lot, but there are songs I don't like/think are not that good.

So I guess I'm saying the "using old riffs/compositions" thing depends on the band and how you feel about them. I don't think VH should have done that because of how I feel about VH in general. Don't get me wrong, I saw them twice during the reunion tour a few years back and had a great time. But there's really nothing that the classic GNR lineup did that I can say I don't like. Yeah so... you're right, but I still feel the same way. :P

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1

Actually, some of the songs were completely new on ADKOT. I don't know which ones exactly but I think Stay Frosty, Outta Space, and China Town were all new. And even if most songs used an old idea like a riff or two, all lyrics, solos, and most of the structures and ideas were new so it did show they are capable of great things in the future.

And even if a lot of it was old ideas, it worked. It is still 100% their music, is it really different from Axl releasing songs 10+ years old?

And it is a huge bummer they did not play more tracks from it live. I only got Tatoo, China Town, and The Trouble with Never at the shows I went to. I thought they were all great, but the show would have been a ton better if they added stuff like Blood And Fire, Big River, As Is, Stay Frosty, hell, any combination of more new tunes into the set.

They didn't do She's The Woman at your gigs?

Speaking of She's The Woman, AFAIK that was the only song that was really a completed song in the old days (And even then it got new lyrics). According to setlist.fm, there was a song called Bullethead played live one time in 1977, but listening to the song on ADKOT, I doubt they have anything in common other than name. Otherwise, I haven't listened to all those early VH demos, but are there any old unreleased song where any riffs/licks/lyrics from ADKOT pop up? That's a legit question, I really don't know.

Oh yeah, I meant to type that out too. Still, would have wanted more new tunes!

Seriously, they should've kept Blood And Fire in the set. The Trouble With Never sucked live. China Town was good when Dave didn't fuck it up (He did at all 3 gigs I saw, don't know how often this happened). She's The Woman and Tattoo were both great live; the latter was a huge improvement over the studio version.

I love that they borrowed heavily from old demos. It's like we got a lost Van Halen album from the 70s. I expected a pile of crap album from the reunion, but they absolutely blew me away. I do know now though to not go several hours out of my way to see the live shows though, Dave does everything within his power to ruin them.

I love that they borrowed heavily from old demos. It's like we got a lost Van Halen album from the 70s. I expected a pile of crap album from the reunion, but they absolutely blew me away. I do know now though to not go several hours out of my way to see the live shows though, Dave does everything within his power to ruin them.

Never saw 'em live. What is Dave doing?

Wasn't ADKOT a compilation of old unused riffs? This album won't live up.

I think it was a mix of both, old demos as well as new stuff.

Either way, it was great, and I look forward to more!

I saw them live in April here in Australia, and while the band sounded absolutely amazing, DLR was all over the place, out of key, out of tune, and completely out of sync.

It's like he couldn't even hear the band he was that much out of time. Maybe he couldn't...

Wasn't ADKOT a compilation of old unused riffs? This album won't live up.

I think it was a mix of both, old demos as well as new stuff.

Either way, it was great, and I look forward to more!

I saw them live in April here in Australia, and while the band sounded absolutely amazing, DLR was all over the place, out of key, out of tune, and completely out of sync.

It's like he couldn't even hear the band he was that much out of time. Maybe he couldn't...

Naw he was like that in Detroit too. Still a great gig though!

I love old VH's catalog to death so I am not knocking DIamond Dave but lets face it he isn't the best singer in the world...great front man but as a singer? Mediocre at best IMHO...................

So it is going to take 18 months huh? hope they can keep it together without killing each other for that long...........