"Better" Appreciation Thread

Ace Nova

I'll reserve my favorite Guns song untill I hear Soul Monster, Atlas Shrugged, and the rest of the collection.

That industrial prog rock jam (or something like that) in the middle of the song, along with the solo that follows is utterly brilliant. Better is a perfect example of why CD is such a great record. Its like 3 superb songs packed into 1.

• Like 1

I'll reserve my favorite Guns song untill I hear Soul Monster, Atlas Shrugged, and the rest of the collection.

That industrial prog rock jam (or something like that) in the middle of the song, along with the solo that follows is utterly brilliant. Better is a perfect example of why CD is such a great record. Its like 3 superb songs packed into 1.

Exactly.

When I first heard Better I actually didn't like it because it's so schizophrenic. Soon after the original leak in '06 I would get different sections of the song stuck in my head, so I went back and listened to it as a whole more. After about a week or so of really understanding it as a whole, I was sold.

Pretty much any pop/rock song. There's a reason why everyone thinks it could have been a hit. It sounds like shitty hits.

lol there is absolutely no generic pop/rock song out there with the same guitar work as Better :lol:

But that comes from a guy who thinks Kanie West is a genius. You want more generic than pseudo-rap?

Better is a masterpiece. I think it would be a classic track from years now.

Not a huge fan of current day rap, but I actually think Kanye is alright. He's one of the few (only?) rappers that has something to say and who raps about things other than bitches, blunts, and Bentleys. I work with a guy who loves him and who I turned onto Chinese Democracy. After he listened to the record he told me that Axl Rose was like the Kanye West of rock.

Exactly.

When I first heard Better I actually didn't like it because it's so schizophrenic. Soon after the original leak in '06 I would get different sections of the song stuck in my head, so I went back and listened to it as a whole more. After about a week or so of really understanding it as a whole, I was sold.

I've had Better stuck in my head for 5 years.

I'm very meh about Better. Has some good moments like when Axl kicks into the verse, and the foot stomping "now I know you better". But overall find the song too compiled and pre-organised for a rocker. Also find the high pitched guitar intro irritating and "no one ever told me when I was alone ...." too sympathy evoking.

There's an acoustic cover by some unknown dude out there on YouTube that someone posted on here ages ago. I love that version and gave me a new appreciation for the song, but still not gaga over the Guns version for reasons above.

2010-2012 he started singing the "I only wanted you to see things for yourself" line a bit weird:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJElSxO3mFo

But I think it was when I saw the video for this HOB show a week after that Atlantic City gig that he started singing it like on the album/like back in 2006:

And then by May-July, he'd dropped the rasp for the verses, which I think was a good move:

A bit too Mickey by 2013, but still rasp in the most important parts:

I listen to the audio bootleg of this show a lot, probably my favourite, but Better is a bit too harsh vocally for me, tend to skip it:

Miss those 2010 lights, tho :/

I kind of hated this song for a long time, thought it was too poppy and generic, but when CD finally came out it really grew on me and its probably my favorite post 93 GNR song. Finck did an amazing job on this one, still get goosebumps during that outro/solo when Axl comes in with "If I were you..", he sounds so fucking good right there, wish he used that low range more.

Is this the 2006 demo? I like some bits on it, but overall I prefer the album version:

EDIT: That little guitar bit at 3:37 in this demo is cool.

Yeah, that's it and that guitar part you're talking about is sweet. I listened to this for the first time in years a few months ago. I'd totally forgotten about the different lyrics in the second chorus. I was all shocked when they happened lol

Is this the 2006 demo? I like some bits on it, but overall I prefer the album version:

EDIT: That little guitar bit at 3:37 in this demo is cool.

Yeah, that's it and that guitar part you're talking about is sweet. I listened to this for the first time in years a few months ago. I'd totally forgotten about the different lyrics in the second chorus. I was all shocked when they happened lol

I think in Rock Am Ring, Tommy tries to sing the vocals from the 2nd chorus in this version but Axl sings the one from the album version (3:20):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rONL720cbc8

Edited by Amir