Why are everyone's opinions so black or white here?

The drums on CD are programmed. They aren't even a live track.

Why does that matter? One of the annoyances on UYI is the generic plodding on every track, might as well be robot. AFD just sound like are recorded in a garage. If you listen to drums its like boy they are shitty sounding. But youre not meant to listen to them. CD is ear candy, sound fetish album.

What enough are you talking about you wasted moron? Appetite has the best drum sound since DJ Fontana.

Why does that matter? One of the annoyances on UYI is the generic plodding on every track, might as well be robot. AFD just sound like are recorded in a garage. If you listen to drums its like boy they are shitty sounding. But youre not meant to listen to them. CD is ear candy, sound fetish album.

What enough are you talking about you wasted moron? Appetite has the best drum sound since DJ Fontana.

It sounded poxy last time I listened. But the looseness of AFD drums and lots of 90s albums kind of gave the much a freshness and doesn't distract from the the riffs and vocals. Whereas CD is a drum/bass and synth album really. If you don't like drums and strings you're not going to like it.

Everyone likes different things, there's no right opinion.

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

I simply do not understand where you are coming from. Adler's drum sound on AFD is, of the gods. He is tight and on the button. It is not loose in the slightest. You speak a right load of cack some times.

They just sound weak to me in comparison with Better and TWAT or latter day Zepp drums. But generally you can't hear them because Slash is playing over it all the time. It So Easy drums are labored and almost detract from the momentum of the song, listen to them they are comical. I think it works well on Brownstone. But on the whole AFD is recorded pretty poorly, and that adds some energy and allows Axl's vocals to shine, whereas CD is a wall of perfection, it's Axl's vocals seem weak in that mix.

Black Ice drums, even Spaghetti Incident drums are better than AFD drums. AFD is carried by Axl vocals and Slash's riffs and solos.

Edited by wasted

It's not that people's opinions are "so black or white," it's that many posters purposely try to mischaracterize other posters' viewpoints. Everyone thinks I'm this big Slash hater. They ignore all the times I've said his sound and style was an integral part of old GnR's sound. They ignore all the times I've said his right-handed picking technique is one of the core elements of GnR's classic songs' sound. Instead, they wage this bizarre propaganda war ("OMG WHY U HATE SLASH SO MUCH?!" or "YOU WORSHIPPER, YOU'RE A WORSHIPPING WORSHIPPER!" or "YOUR WORSHIPPING IS PAGAN IDOLATRY"(notice though, these "worshipper" accusers always seem to look the other way when people are an auto-pilot fighting "the good fight" for Slash on the internet by being mean-spirited, shit-talking assholes who say horrid shit about Axl. But nooo, make one crack about Slash, and they freak out and rant and rave)).

These rabid anti-nu-Guns brigadiers just don't seem to *want* to understand that I just care more about Steven's sound in the band. Everyone has their favorite. To me, if I could have either Slash or Steven back in the band, I'd pick Steven. It's that simple. It doesn't mean I hate Slash. I just goof on Slash the same way people goof on Axl. Slash is pudgy and takes his shirt off- that should be fair game, right? He wears his top hat everywhere, but claims to be distancing himself from GnR. People talk shit about Axl's voice, but apparently Slash made a brilliant move in making Myles his singer. Gimme a fuckin break. Myles is the DJ of Slash's band. Anyway, I digress.

Those who have gotten to know me, know that I'm more nuanced than I'm given credit for. But people don't want shades of grey, they want drama! The difference between me and them is that I'm just more accepting of reality. Axl ain't putting the band back together. Time to get over it and stop being delusional about reunion possibilities.

Looooong before it became en vogue for some people to become professional drama queens and crying about what they disapprove of in the band, I had a strong dislike for Matt's drumkit sound on the UYIs. I felt like GnR had been hollowed out. Even as kid, I noticed it right away. Popcorn's snare drum tuning was gone. His cowbell was gone. His groove was gone. In his place, was this sterilized generic timekeeper who spammed the "November Rain drum fill" in almost every song. It took a long time to warm up to Matt.

Post of the thread.

Black Ice drums, even Spaghetti Incident drums are better than AFD drums.

no

Another poster who thinks their opinion is better anyone else's. And mine, which is completely unacceptable god damn it.

But this kind of illustrates the OP's question.

Why are people's opinion's so black and white? Because it makes for better threads, a better forum, a better internet and in the end makes for a better life and we do a lot of valuable charity work as well as saving the world from banal threads.

Shut up, pick a side and quit whining about it.

A maniqueist point of view is a bad option to explain a series of facts that lead to an end. Slash said a lot lies, so do Axl. Slash did a lot of shit (Snakepit), so do Axl (Rhiad, Scraped, If the World). Both of them moved on in some kind of way and don't seem to be positive about a reunion. Everybody had some kind of participation in what happened, that's undeniable. Being maniqueist, led you getting blind to lots of things that happened.

Seriously, do half of you even think for yourselves?

-Chinese Democracy is either a piece of shit or a masterpiece

- Axl is 100% responsible for the old lineup splitting, or it's Slash's fault

-Chinese Democracy was either a commercial failure or a grand success

- etc

Why is there no kind of middle ground with so many GNR forum-goers? It's a crazy way of thinking.

Chinese Democracy is at least an alright album.

Old GNR broke up mostly because of creative differences.

Chinese Democracy sold quite well but didn't reach expectations.

Because we're bipolar.

Being bipolar is different of being maniqueist

Shut up, pick a side and quit whining about it.

I simply do not understand where you are coming from. Adler's drum sound on AFD is, of the gods. He is tight and on the button. It is not loose in the slightest. You speak a right load of cack some times.

They just sound weak to me in comparison with Better and TWAT or latter day Zepp drums. But generally you can't hear them because Slash is playing over it all the time. It So Easy drums are labored and almost detract from the momentum of the song, listen to them they are comical. I think it works well on Brownstone. But on the whole AFD is recorded pretty poorly, and that adds some energy and allows Axl's vocals to shine, whereas CD is a wall of perfection, it's Axl's vocals seem weak in that mix.

Black Ice drums, even Spaghetti Incident drums are better than AFD drums. AFD is carried by Axl vocals and Slash's riffs and solos.

You speak a load of cack - honestly. Even people who do not like Adler usually concede that his drumming on Appetite was simply, perfect.

It's not that people's opinions are "so black or white," it's that many posters purposely try to mischaracterize other posters' viewpoints. Everyone thinks I'm this big Slash hater. They ignore all the times I've said his sound and style was an integral part of old GnR's sound. They ignore all the times I've said his right-handed picking technique is one of the core elements of GnR's classic songs' sound. Instead, they wage this bizarre propaganda war ("OMG WHY U HATE SLASH SO MUCH?!" or "YOU WORSHIPPER, YOU'RE A WORSHIPPING WORSHIPPER!" or "YOUR WORSHIPPING IS PAGAN IDOLATRY"(notice though, these "worshipper" accusers always seem to look the other way when people are an auto-pilot fighting "the good fight" for Slash on the internet by being mean-spirited, shit-talking assholes who say horrid shit about Axl. But nooo, make one crack about Slash, and they freak out and rant and rave)).

These rabid anti-nu-Guns brigadiers just don't seem to *want* to understand that I just care more about Steven's sound in the band. Everyone has their favorite. To me, if I could have either Slash or Steven back in the band, I'd pick Steven. It's that simple. It doesn't mean I hate Slash. I just goof on Slash the same way people goof on Axl. Slash is pudgy and takes his shirt off- that should be fair game, right? He wears his top hat everywhere, but claims to be distancing himself from GnR. People talk shit about Axl's voice, but apparently Slash made a brilliant move in making Myles his singer. Gimme a fuckin break. Myles is the DJ of Slash's band. Anyway, I digress.

Those who have gotten to know me, know that I'm more nuanced than I'm given credit for. But people don't want shades of grey, they want drama! The difference between me and them is that I'm just more accepting of reality. Axl ain't putting the band back together. Time to get over it and stop being delusional about reunion possibilities.

Looooong before it became en vogue for some people to become professional drama queens and crying about what they disapprove of in the band, I had a strong dislike for Matt's drumkit sound on the UYIs. I felt like GnR had been hollowed out. Even as kid, I noticed it right away. Popcorn's snare drum tuning was gone. His cowbell was gone. His groove was gone. In his place, was this sterilized generic timekeeper who spammed the "November Rain drum fill" in almost every song. It took a long time to warm up to Matt.

I understand what you´re saying. But one thing doesn´t justify the other. Look, if Axl fucked up NR in RIR he just fucked up. And I´m not gonna give him an standing ovation with or without Slash in the band.Nor I´m gonna try to spin it to make Axl look good.

If there is a reunion and Axl is in bad shape well I´m gonna say he is in bad shape. If the former members reunite under the name GN´R and they have Myles as the singer. I´m gonna tell them to go fuck themselves because there are much better singers out there. I check the solo projects section. I´ve never seen any of the Slash fans saying that Myles is better than Axl. But I´ve seen fans here saying that DJ is great for GN´R. I´ve never seen Slash fans posting a poll where Myles is among the best singers. Slash fans are not out there trying to justify how amazing Myles is.

But it seems that the Axl fans or Nu band fans are always trying to spin things to find a way to say something good about DJ or Ron or whoever. Maybe you´re right and we will never have a reunion. That doesn´t mean that I have to agree with everything that Axl does. If I don´t like CD I just don´t like it. If Axl is performing with hired guys he is just performing with hired guys. Ron himself admitted in the AMA chat.

So if Axl sounds like Mickey Mouse don´t bring up Slash. The issue is Axl´s voice not Slash or Myles. The problem is blind people who will always say that Axl is amazing when he is not.

• Like 1

You speak a load of cack - honestly. Even people who do not like Adler usually concede that his drumming on Appetite was simply, perfect.

I certainly wouldn't say Adler's drumming was tight. His drumming was loose, but that's what gave it flavor. It was based on groove instead of precision. I think the drums sound dated (and perhaps a bit corny) on AFD, but that works for me. Dated sound isn't necessarily a bad thing. His drumming had personality, vitality, and exuberance on that record. Dated yes, loose yes, and I wouldn't change it at all. AFD was a perfect representation of that band, the players, their mindset at that particular point in time. His style was fitting for that record, for those songs- but I couldn't envision him drumming on a lot of the Illusions stuff. Estranged, November Rain, Breakdown, even Locomotive- I just can't see it. Sorum's more polished, more authoritative robotic churning was a better fit in sound for those records. He doesn't have the same swinging vibe, but that's fine- because the band that made UYI was not the same band that made AFD. They were taking it more seriously on UYI, taking themselves more seriously, more pressure, higher stakes, different sound, more complex arrangements. I just can't see nor hear Steven's drumming fitting with the vast majority of the material on those records, but for AFD (and Lies) he was the right guy.

What was the thread topic again?

Edited by Mr. Dude

I mentioned because you called the drums awesome. It's something any person with Superior drummer and etc could create. It has nothing unique. If you're going to program drums, why try to mask them as genuine drums? I'm not saying programming drums is always bad or mostly bad. It just doesn't hit you in the face like a real drummer. Especially one like Brain. Once you program em, you sacrifice a lot of the feeling for perfect clicks. A clicking clock seems to have perfect rhythm but it can put ya to sleep.

Also, AFD is not a garage record. That's retarded. AFD is actually a pretty awesome mix and the snare pops in your face.

Are you smoking crack?!

Spaghetti drums better than AFD? TSI's drums are crap.

Edited by Rustycage

People talk shit about Axl's voice, but apparently Slash made a brilliant move in making Myles his singer. Gimme a fuckin break. Myles is the DJ of Slash's band. Anyway, I digress.

I completely agree with this.

The sad part is the best is behind us, for both Slash and Axl. It makes me sad for both of them. Don't get me wrong they are both capable of great music individually, but together they were perfect. It's depressing as a gnr fan really.

Somewhere in the darkness, you must look up to the light. All the ex-gnr alumni are making music: music that has a piece of GnR it. Slash owns a piece of the GnR name. He doesn't need a piece of paper. People get hung up on the paper, but that's a tangent. I think all former members have something to offer musically. Dude no bullshit, "Fall to Pieces" touched me. That song has a great stark and profound sound. I dig Izzy's stuff and Adler's. There's a little GnR magic in every one of their endeavors.

I agree that they are capable of great music indiviually, I even said so in my post. But they were capable of magic together. Fall to pieces was good yes, but if you imagine Axl's vocals on it, and his ear for melody, it would of been HUGE. That's the difference. Same goes for CD, I like Finck's solo on TIL, but Slash's would have been epic.

The Snowmasses Bobbos and Nice_Guy's of this forum are every bit as bad as the Volcanoes and Brainsabers... Just two cheeks of the same arse, really.

For my part, I have always said:

I got into Guns in 2005 through Appetite and the Illusions, I love and respect the work the old guys did.

The 2006 line-up of the band remains the best live show I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of gigs.

I enjoyed the album.

I have an attachment to everyone who is in the band at the moment, they're the line-up I associate most with the name.

I don't want a reunion to happen because I don't want all the current guys' hard work to be thrown back in their faces, I feel I owe them loyalty because of all the good times I've had following them.

I'm incredibly frustrated that GN'R can't function like a normal band and doing even the smallest of tasks seems like pulling teeth, while all the people waiting eagerly are ignored or treated like we're totally unreasonable enemies of what the band are trying to achieve.

If you disagree with me, fair enough. If you try and force your opinion on me, fuck you.

Guest cbgnr666

Love the old band and the new.I would have prefered a reunion up until the current cast took the stage.The new band needs to release a couple simple catchy appeal to the masses kind of songs,like the old guys.They need a big hit.An earworm.

• Like 1

But it seems that the Axl fans or Nu band fans are always trying to spin things to find a way to say something good about DJ or Ron or whoever. Maybe you´re right and we will never have a reunion. That doesn´t mean that I have to agree with everything that Axl does. If I don´t like CD I just don´t like it. If Axl is performing with hired guys he is just performing with hired guys. Ron himself admitted in the AMA chat.

So if Axl sounds like Mickey Mouse don´t bring up Slash. The issue is Axl´s voice not Slash or Myles. The problem is blind people who will always say that Axl is amazing when he is not.

Well you are on what is supposedly a "GnR fan messageboard." So it shouldn't come as a surprise that there will be gushers and super fans on here who are overly positive and cheery. You call it a "problem" but I think maybe you're just not that familiar with fan message boards. There are always people like that. Deal with it.

Not sure what your point is about Ron. I think everyone knows that the people in the band work for Axl now. It's not some revelation. Despite them being "hired hands," they still get to help create music (supposedly).

You can ding Axl for sounding like Mickey to your heart's content. As I said before though, it's interesting that you're more bothered by the Axl gushers than you are by the people who say hateful, horrid shit about Axl. But if anyone makes an analogy to Slash, WATCHOUT! It's laughable really.