APPEAL TO THE BAND: Please play The General this year

Maybe Axl really has been using the clean voice for longevity (recently it's because of laziness/"autopilot" a lot of the time though). He really did look like he was going all out in 2010, and if the rumor about the rejected album/re-release is true it explains the recent performances. But in 2010 maybe he believed another album was on the horizon?

So if they plan to play 3* new songs, maybe he believes the ball is rolling again? If that's the case, I think his voice will improve. How much longer does he want to perform for? He doesn't seem like the kind of guy that will wanna put up with "the hassles of touring" in his 60s-70s, so that would leave 1 more album/tour [and then probably more GH a few years afterwards] but he'd probably want to/try to go out on a high note. Meaning all out, with rasp.

......hopefully.

Really though I think the shape he comes out in on this tour will give us a good impression of how the rest of the year is gonna go.

My theory at least show by show is that he does put less into some songs as a voice saving thing. Like he almost always puts nothing into YCBM or SCoM but the average Joe at a GN'R show is so busy rocking out to the former or singing along with the latter that they don't even notice. So I think he put less into those so he can possibly muster more for the song before or after.

I figure it's less to do with "saving it for the next song" and more that he probably just hates singing 'Sweet Child O Mine' every show :lol:

So I got to thinking that there's a minuscule possibility that a fan appeal on the biggest Guns forum might result in this song being played.

I know we have no right to make demands of our favourite band, but we can have hope and let's be honest: from what we've heard from intros The General should be an amazing song.

So let's start an appeal, and keep a thread alive without trolling or vitriol.

Maybe, just maybe, it might work.

\m/

Go Gav

Maybe Subsy will forward on your request.

I would rather hear Jackie Chan, Soul Monster, or Berlin.

Honestly, The General is probably over hyped. It's been hyped up on these forums so much that people are expecting it to be some big heavy industrial song that's going to be a big hit. I doubt it. From what we've heard on the intros of shows, it's probably nothing more than an over produced ballad.

If there's ever been a time to be optimistic about GNR in the last few years, it's now.

Bumble says the band have not written together and has indicated that he thinks the album process is too much for Axl to get into.

Mother Goose says they can't be bothered releasing an album.

The 40 year old EMO kid has gone very silent about all the new music he wrote for Axl.

Band members are picking up other gigs everywhere.

I don't see new music coming this year. "New Songs" will be most likely old songs this band have not covered from the UYI catalogue.

• Like 1

As much as I would like to hear new songs, and am optimistic that we do, there's a striking comparison between the term "3 new songs" and the number of unreleased songs we have heard.

I want new music, I'm kind of expecting it, but at the same time I'm telling myself it probably wont happen.

Most likely, we'll get Going Down, Silkworms, and OMG. That said though, I can't see them playing Going Down and Silkworms without some sort of release on the horizon.

• 1 month later...

If they aren't already planning on playing what is supposedly a complicated song less than two days before the first show, I somehow doubt this thread is going to have Axl calling an emergency rehearsal session to learn it.

I don't know about that, man- this thread- this earnest and heartfelt plea to the band- has generated an overwhelming response... close to SEVENTY die-hard fans have come here to make their voices heard!

I've heard like 40seconds of The General... I can't make a judgement on it one way or the other, for all we know the rest of the song is a droned low E string to a 4 to the floor dance beat, we don't know what it sounds like and it's possibly one of the weaker songs up for selection. #PLAYANEWSONG #DON'TPLAYTHESAMESET worthwhile requests.

maybe there is a reason The General never made it on CD... it has been used as an intro at times but maybe other than that Axl has pretty much trashed it? I have no basis for this thought but I also dont understand how we have made it into this unicorn like entity...

So I got to thinking that there's a minuscule possibility that a fan appeal on the biggest Guns forum might result in this song being played.

I know we have no right to make demands of our favourite band, but we can have hope and let's be honest: from what we've heard from intros The General should be an amazing song.

So let's start an appeal, and keep a thread alive without trolling or vitriol.

Maybe, just maybe, it might work.

\m/

Axl baby, hurry down my chimney tonight?

This is the problem I have with these mythical titles like The General, Atlas Shrugged, Checkmate/Jackie Chan/whatever the fuck it's called, etc. People work themselves up over what are most likely working titles, and that's all we have are titles. They could all suck. The sad thing is we will probably never know.

I honestly don't think Axl gives two shits about what the fans want. He probably could care less about playing new songs or unheard old CD era songs. Why should he? The general audience only wants to hear the classics.

Axl was once a man full of ambition. In 1999-2002 there were all these plans about making great records and destroying the old band (impossible mind you) and now all has turned to shit and we are left with someone who just wants to line his pockets for his eventual descent into hibernation.

Look, I know we haven't heard The General in full, but we have heard the intro. FACT

I think that intro sounds pretty f?&kin cool...has a real sense of foreboding...so uopn that I am basing my assumption that The General will be a quality tune.

Could I be wrong?...of course...but we've been told by Uncle Axl that cd2 will be more of the same as Chinese, possibly darker and meaner. Now I f?@kin love chinese, so believe I will enjoy the next bunch of tracks.

Edited by gavgnr