Is the band officially a joke in your eyes?

And as for the rest of what you said. Axl didn't destroy the old band for specific reasons. The AFD and UYI lineups disintegrated for a complex set of reasons (Axl being one of them). He could have retired but (fortunately) he continued with new guys. This resulted in CD (and more music in the future). It might not be a good music to you, and you may feel as scorned as you want about old GN'R failing to survive, but that actually doesn't make Axl and absolutely not the current lineup a joke.

This band is a joke because Axl destroyed the old one so he could move on, make modern and complex music and reach the artistic heights he couldn't with the old band. Why is that a joke? Because what happened was the complete opposite. CD is a regular pop/rock album and they keep playing more AFD than anything.

If you actually thought the band would stop leaning on material from AFD and UYI in concerts then you are an ever bigger joke.

Are you saying Axl hired new guys just to keep playing mostly AFD and UYI material? If that´s that case then it´s a bad joke.Just a tribute band with Axl. They should play mostly CD songs and a few classics like WTTJ, SCOM and NR. And make a new album as soon as possible. Otherwise it doesn´t make any sense.

He continued with a new lineup because he wanted to continue with the band, meaning both releasing new music and touring. But it should be obvious to anyone that the concerts would have to rely heavily on the songs the audiences would come to hear. Can you seriously imagine GN'R playing shows without the classics the huge majority of people pay tickets to hear? Like Sweet Child O' Mine, Welcome to the Jungle, November Rain, etc? Like any other band with a substantial and extremely popular back catalogue of songs GN'R is DOOMED to play shows with a core setlist of songs, lest they disappoint the audiences. Only if the current lineup succeeds at releasing equally popular songs could they stop playing the old classics.

And of course this makes sense. What wouldn't make sense was to continue with the name, change the majority of band members, and then STOP playing the songs that mad GN'R famous and which are intrinsically connected to the brand. That would be deceiving and moronic.

If you read my post I said they have to play a few classics. BUT the problem is they play mostly AFD and UYI songs. I want those new songs that would be as popular as the AFD songs. CD is failure when it comes to popularity. So they must make a popular album the sooner the better. But Axl doesn´t want to. Or maybe he can´t. Because he knows he will never top the popularity of AFD and UYI. Still he sould make an album with whatever and play 2 or 3 new songs from that new album

Yeah, I would like that, too. And I believe it will happen. But I have no expectations that future GN'R albums will feature music that will rival the classics in popularity and cause a skew in the setlists where songs off AFD and UYI will become the minority.

Its impossible to take them seriously as a viable band with anything new to say.

Of course not, they haven't "said anything new" since 2008. But just because they haven't released anything for six years doesn't make the band a joke.

Yes, this band is and has been a complete joke in my eyes for some time now.

I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise.

I would never be so bold as to argue why it isn't a joke in your eyes. But in my eyes a band that released a good record six years and tours successfully across the globe, simply isn't a joke. It might haven been a disappointment if I expected more.

I would never be so bold as to argue why it isn't a joke in your eyes. But in my eyes a band that released a good record six years and tours successfully across the globe, simply isn't a joke. It might haven been a disappointment if I expected more.

Six years wouldn´t be long if they would´ve released 2 or 3 albums between 98 and 2008. We only have one album. I don´t wanna wait another 10 years or more. And I´m not sure band members want to wait that long either. I expected a lot more. We´re talking about Axl Rose.

Six years wouldn´t be long if they would´ve released 2 or 3 albums between 98 and 2008. We only have one album. I don´t wanna wait another 10 years or more. And I´m not sure band members want to wait that long either. I expected a lot more. We´re talking about Axl Rose.

This. It is 100% joke and it can be explained in one sentence. In 20 years, Chinese Democracy is the only album we have of new original material since Use Your Illusion. Whether you think it sucks or you love it, thats 20 fucking years! I just don't know how you can't say thats a joke. Axl had a vision, it obviously didn't work out, and its become a joke because they aren't even trying to go further anymore. They tour the markets they know will make them money (which is really just South America) and no one is even attempting new music. So both of your points are shot right there. I'm willing to have a serious discussion about this, but there just doesn't seem to be an argument you can have that they aren't a joke at this point.

The guys on stage right now were neither the creative force behind the "current" album or the ones made 20 years prior to them being in the fold.

That is what I mean as not a viable band. This is a touring band that plays other people's shit. Whether that be Rose/Stradlin or Rose/Huge/Finck...these guys are all gone.

What good record did they release? I must've missed it. Also, the 6 year long same shit different day cover tour ft. #DJ #Ashba # demented #swag #AshbaSwag #bullied is hardly a success. And neither is the utterly incompetent management team that has failed to do ANYTHING at all in 6 years other than insult and angry the band's fans isn't really successful either. Appetite For Democracy anyone? I'm sorry to say this, but what GnR turned into is just plain pathetic.

• Like 1

The band doesn't become a joke just because you had high expectations. That is lashing out. And I am not saying your expectations were misplaced or unfounded. Not at all. You might argue that Axl convinced you that you would get more than you have - and you could make a good case for that. At the very least this makes Axl a joke for not being able to realize his lofty goals, or you for believing an artist with such visions of grandeur. But it simply doesn't make the current band a joke because the current band, all our subjective expectations aside, is touring successfully, and have been releasing music that was well received (and low productivity is never an objective criteria for an artist being a joke), which means that it fullfills the minimum of what we would expect from a non-joke band.

This. It is 100% joke and it can be explained in one sentence. In 20 years, Chinese Democracy is the only album we have of new original material since Use Your Illusion.

Low productivity simply doesn't make an artist a joke. There is plenty of big artists throughout history who didn't release much. It is the nature of art. Only when we factor in your own expectations does the low productivity become a problem. But then we beg the questions whether the current band is to blame for your failed expectations and whether the joke really isn't on you ;).

The guys on stage right now were neither the creative force behind the "current" album or the ones made 20 years prior to them being in the fold.

That is what I mean as not a viable band. This is a touring band that plays other people's shit. Whether that be Rose/Stradlin or Rose/Huge/Finck...these guys are all gone.

Uhm, of the current lineup Axl, Dizzy, Chris, Richard, Ron and Tommy were part of making CD. Most of them have writing credits. So I disagree with you. But this is really irrelevant because I also disagree with your notion that a band is only "viable" (whatever that means in this context) when all members have been part of the process of creating and releasing music for that band, or when the lineup that released their last record is intact. A band is real as long as it it a group of musicians who play music. You might disagree with this and claim that a group of musicians who only cover other artists (which isn't the case for this lineup at all) isn't a "band", but you are still far away from arguing why it is a "joke of a band".

What good record did they release? I must've missed it. Also, the 6 year long same shit different day cover tour ft. #DJ #Ashba # demented #swag #AshbaSwag #bullied is hardly a success. And neither is the utterly incompetent management team that has failed to do ANYTHING at all in 6 years other than insult and angry the band's fans isn't really successful either. Appetite For Democracy anyone? I'm sorry to say this, but what GnR turned into is just plain pathetic.

Another case of "I don't like it, it is a joke". Nothing I can argue against. I don't like Dj either, but that doesn't - to me - make the band a joke. I am not happy with the management either - although I believe they must be credited for running lots of successful tours - but again, that is simply not enough to make the band a joke (there are lots of management jokes around, luckily that doesn't automagically make all the bands they manage jokes, too).

To be blunt: I see lots of fans who are very frustrated and disappointed with the situation and hence lash out a bit wildly. People seeing things from the outside would see a band that has dropped in popularity but still tours successfully and released a record six years back that sold millions. They would not understand why the band should be called a joke.

Another case of "I don't like it, it is a joke". Nothing I can argue against. I don't like Dj either, but that doesn't - to me - make the band a joke. I am not happy with the management either - although I believe they must be credited for running lots of successful tours - but again, that is simply not enough to make the band a joke (there are lots of management jokes around, luckily that doesn't automagically make all the bands they manage jokes, too).

To be blunt: I see lots of fans who are very frustrated and disappointed with the situation and hence lash out a bit wildly. People seeing things from the outside would see a band that has dropped in popularity but still tours successfully and released a record six years back that sold millions. They would not understand why the band should be called a joke.

You're probably right about a fair lot of those things. But people that cared about GnR just see them becoming a poor man's GnR coverband and the butt of a sitcom joke. It saddens me that a once so great band has turned into a hired hand touring only unproductive poorly managed that plays classic songs worse than they deserve to be played. That's what I see.

Today I am thankful that we have Soulmonster here to educate us on what we can and cannot like, what we can or cannot think of as a joke, and how are feelings should or shouldn't be about Guns n Roses. And he is also kind enough to give us reasons why we must feel the way we do.

I don't know how billions of people function in the world without Soulmonster being there to educate them if they are doing things correctly or not, or if their opinions are validly formed or not. Sometimes the arrogance is a bit much.

As for the actual topic.

People are free to think of GnR as a joke (or not) for whatever reasons they want. If the reasons are valid to you personally - then they are valid reasons.

I personally don't think the band is a joke at all.

They are a good touring band, they are providing a fun outlet for people to go see a rock concert and hear classic hits. And I think Axl is still talented enough to release several more quality albums. If you disagree with me, for whatever reasons you want, that's your prerogative. My opinion is no more valid than yours. Your opinion is no more valid than mine.

GnR is a joke end of story. From album output, to live shows which do nothing but live off the old band's legacy, to the lead singer who sounds liek a mockery of his former self, to the joke that team Brazil is, to the joke of current members saying this si the best version of GnR, to the way they are now percieved by the general public. Guns N' Roses are the epitome of what a joke is when it comes to a band.

• Like 2

I honestly don't know what disqualifies GN'R from being a "real band". They released a record six years ago. Is six years too much? Are you automatically demoted from real band status after four years? Five years? They tour their music all across the world. Is that wrong? I don't get it. Should they tour less? Play shorter shows?

It's actually 1 album in 23 years; and they've been touring chidem for 14 years -- that maybe why some people refer to them as a joke

To me the band isn't a joke because they haven't released a new album in years, but because many of the members actually want to, and can't. It's a joke when one of it's members can't contact their own management and has to turn to twitter for answers. It's a joke when members can't discuss future plans for the very band they're supposedly a part of. It's a joke because other than being told when it's time to do another tour, there is nothing else that indicates it's an actual band.

Isn't this thread about sharing one's opinions on whether the band is a joke?

Yes, it is. I didn't realize you've been struggling with the meaning of the topic this whole time. Explains a lot. What confused you, the fact that the words band and fan both contain the letters a and n?

Axl's rise and (I think we can fairly say) permanent fall is an old story - he got exactly what he wanted, which was complete control, and once he got it, it all went to shit. He couldn't do it all by himself and he couldn't direct or force anyone else to do it. He thought he was the reason GnR was so massive, but he wasn't - it was all of them together.

Axl had a great voice and he could write songs (though not, in my opinion, as well as Izzy) but he was never the multi-gifted musical genius he thought he was. He's not Todd Rundgren or someone like that - he needs a band, not employees, and all he's had since Slash left is employees. Some of those employees have talent of their own but he strangles it because he doesn't want any equals. He simply doesn't have the vision or the temperament to do whatever it is he thought he was gonna do twenty years ago.

He should've just gone with a solo career. He was a hell of a showman, when he bothered to show up and didn't start fights with the audience, and he had a great voice.

• Like 2

To me the band isn't a joke because they haven't released a new album in years, but because many of the members actually want to, and can't. It's a joke when one of it's members can't contact their own management and has to turn to twitter for answers. It's a joke when members can't discuss future plans for the very band they're supposedly a part of. It's a joke because other than being told when it's time to do another tour, there is nothing else that indicates it's an actual band.

When was our wedding again?

I'm still waiting for the explanation as to why it's okay for some "fans" to say horrid, disrespectful, evil shit about Axl. No one seems to want to tackle that one.

So Axl wasn't being disrespectful all those years he delayed CD? He's not being disrespectful now when we all want news about new music and there is only silence? What goes around comes around.