Is the band officially a joke in your eyes?

Blah blah people are a joke blah blah why do they come here blah blah let's focus on them instead of talking about the band we supposedly love blah blah blah.

D & N is not just about one member, it's about a multitude of members. All of whom, 25 years worth, including Slash, can be discussed in this section as they relate to Guns. This is not a forum dedicated to only the current band or to the fans who only want positive comments. So quit the fucking whining. There are posters who may think they're a joke now, but there was a time when this band wasn't in their eyes. Some people come to celebrate how good this band used to be. Some come to celebrate how good they think they are now. What's so fucking difficult to understand. Nobody here ever reminisces with friends and family about growing up, have conversations with others about things they've experienced and fun memories they have in the past? Right. Most people in the real world don't give a shit about this band. It's not easy to find someone able to discuss TB or a mickey voice because very few people will understand what you're talking about. People gather here to talk to others who do, even if they don't share the same opinion.

• Like 3

Well, we know Bumble is a hell of a player and songwriter even if it isn't setting the world on fire, you need marketing for that and the guy isn't justin bieber or nickelback. We have Ashba who has wrote some popular radio rock, I find it boring but it has sold well in Sixx:Am. Stinson was in The Replacements and Fortus is a touring musician. We don't know how they'd do on a GNR record but it would've been nice to find out. They can all play competently and their lead spots are decent enough, I even have hopes Ashba can do a couple solos well but not sure on the riffs and songwriting with him and he'd be Axl's second in command you'd think. From their performances and solo spots the signs are promising but we have only faith since Axl works in mysterious ways piecing things together.

Some people come to celebrate how good this band used to be.

Yeah, I am not talking about people who come here to actually celebrate but those losers who only come here to complain about a band they look upon as a joke. You see the difference, surely?

Edited by SoulMonster

I don't know why people always have to fall back on insulting Slash to somehow make their Axl worshipping seem more legit. It isn't a competition. Both artists have taken different paths with their careers post classic line-up.

Axl tried to create a masterpiece that would bury Appetite and the old band. When that failed, he has turned GnR into a touring band.

Slash isn't spending 20 years trying to write a masterpiece. He is a working musician, who puts out albums every couple of years for his fans to enjoy.

GnR being a touring band playing their old hits is a great thing for Axl fans who want to hear the songs they grew up with.

Slash putting out rock albums every couple of years, and working with a variety of artists, is great for music fans who love guitar driven straight forward rock albums.

No real reason for people to legitimately turn to insulting each other over our own personal preferences of which band we like better.

Soulmonster keeps making a good point about how much talent and potential that Axl seems to be pissing away. Several members of GnR have mentioned that they have written songs and want to record a new GnR album. And we know that in the studio, Axl is still one of the 2-3 best rock vocalists alive (in terms of singing and writing). To me, it seems like Axl has the keys to a Lamborghini that is parked in his driveway....but he chooses to drive his Honda CRV instead.

• Like 2

Well, we know Bumble is a hell of a player and songwriter even if it isn't setting the world on fire, you need marketing for that and the guy isn't justin bieber or nickelback. We have Ashba who has wrote some popular radio rock, I find it boring but it has sold well in Sixx:Am. Stinson was in The Replacements and Fortus is a touring musician. We don't know how they'd do on a GNR record but it would've been nice to find out. They can all play competently and their lead spots are decent enough, I even have hopes Ashba can do a couple solos well but not sure on the riffs and songwriting with him and he'd be Axl's second in command you'd think. From their performances and solo spots the signs are promising but we have only faith since Axl works in mysterious ways piecing things together.

You forgot Pitman ;)

Soulmonster keeps making a good point about how much talent and potential that Axl seems to be pissing away. Several members of GnR have mentioned that they have written songs and want to record a new GnR album. And we know that in the studio, Axl is still one of the 2-3 best rock vocalists alive (in terms of singing and writing). To me, it seems like Axl has the keys to a Lamborghini that is parked in his driveway....but he chooses to drive his Honda CRV instead.

A succinct analogy. He is focused on touring. Hopefully he will soon be focused on releasing. I have years ago accepted that he works in mysterious ways and given up on understanding him.

Blah blah people are a joke blah blah why do they come here blah blah let's focus on them instead of talking about the band we supposedly love blah blah blah.

D & N is not just about one member, it's about a multitude of members. All of whom, 25 years worth, including Slash, can be discussed in this section as they relate to Guns. This is not a forum dedicated to only the current band or to the fans who only want positive comments. So quit the fucking whining. There are posters who may think they're a joke now, but there was a time when this band wasn't in their eyes. Some people come to celebrate how good this band used to be. Some come to celebrate how good they think they are now. What's so fucking difficult to understand. Nobody here ever reminisces with friends and family about growing up, have conversations with others about things they've experienced and fun memories they have in the past? Right. Most people in the real world don't give a shit about this band. It's not easy to find someone able to discuss TB or a mickey voice because very few people will understand what you're talking about. People gather here to talk to others who do, even if they don't share the same opinion.

Good post P4A.

There are a few people who have made it their part-time job to police the forum of people they don't feel should post here.

Instead of just putting them on ignore, they must continually reprimand these people who they don't feel are posting in the forum properly.

Your Slash thing is valid as well. Because 20 die-hard fans post in one section and only 5 people post regularly in another section, that's not a valid sample size to essentially "rate" those artists entire careers. It is a joke that anybody would even think that. WOW, are you serious? On a GnR forum, more people talk about the current GnR than they do about a guitar player who hasn't been in the band for almost 20 years? That's funny. The question these people should be asking themselves is this: If Axl is really The Man, and Slash is a generic guitar player and evil person in life.........then why hasn't Axl buried memory of Slash? A "win" would be if people didn't bring Slash up because Axl/GnR 1997-2014 had buried and made people forget about Slash's 1987-1993 period with the band. That hasn't happened. I think it really makes a lot of slash haters on here furious that Axl and GnR still have to mainly rely on material that Slash helped create.

I'm not saying that Axl shouldn't play the songs he helped create. But wouldn't it be more of a win for Axl if there was a debate about that? If he had the hard choice of choosing songs from the four albums he'd released with this current line-up. Which appetite classics does he drop for the classic songs from CD2 and the third album this band put out? Does he drop Nightrain for one of the singles from the 4th album with this band? Want to erase or diminish Slash's contributions to GnR? Axl hasn't allowed that to happen. Chinese Democracy the album was a GREAT step in that direction, imo. But he needed to release several more albums to make it happen.

I disagree. I believe the currently line-up, Axl included, would be able to write and release great songs.

Dr. Phil says you can't argue with results. And results up until this point show that the band is definitely not able to write and release great songs. Or poor songs. Or mediocre songs. Or...songs.

A succinct analogy. He is focused on touring. Hopefully he will soon be focused on releasing. I have years ago accepted that he works in mysterious ways and given up on understanding him.

He is my favorite rock singer of all time. And I think Chinese D the album is just as good as either Illusions.

If we had four albums that were just the same quality as CD, I'd be the happiest person on this forum.

Warchild and Volcano would be calling me the "best poster in the forum" (like they used to) and maynard and Mags would be calling me a Nutter again.

There are a few people who have made it their part-time job to police the forum of people they don't feel should post here.

Instead of just putting them on ignore, they must continually reprimand these people who they don't feel are posting in the forum properly.

Are you talking about yourself here?

Yeah, I am not talking about people who come here to actually celebrate but those losers who only come here to complain about a band they look upon as a joke. You see the difference, surely?

But you don't think those people were ever fans at some point? I don't see it that way. Discussing how disappointing the band is now doesn't imply they weren't fans of the band at another time. Not liking Axl's voice these days is not the same as never having liked his voice - which I have not seen anyone here say. And since the discussions are not limited to the current band or fans of the current band, the only problem I see is a lack of tolerance for differing opinions.

• Like 3

But you don't think those people were ever fans at some point? I don't see it that way. Discussing how disappointing the band is now doesn't imply they weren't fans of the band at another time. Not liking Axl's voice these days is not the same as never having liked his voice - which I have not seen anyone here say. And since the discussions are not limited to the current band or fans of the current band, the only problem I see is a lack of tolerance for differing opinions.

Very well said.

It's a joke, has been since that yellow raincoat lol. But seriously to the average joe gnr started losing steam with the ridiculous estranged video and axls gay ass little nut hugging shorts. Just go up to anyone nowadays in the us and ask them about gnr, I dare you. I have, and it never goes well.

I disagree. I believe the currently line-up, Axl included, would be able to write and release great songs.

Dr. Phil says you can't argue with results. And results up until this point show that the band is definitely not able to write and release great songs. Or poor songs. Or mediocre songs. Or...songs.

Dr. Phil's a moron if he believes that just because a lineup hasn't been able to release anything for six years they will never be able to do it.

I am sure that everyone who spend time here like or have liked GN'R's music at some point in time. No reason for you to try to drum up some argument for why these disgruntled members used to be fans and have every right to be here. I agree with this, I find it trivial. My point is just that if they really have nothing better to do than hang around at a forum for a band they now consider a joke, then the joke is truly on them.

• Like 1

Haha I love the "Defenders of the Faith" Why do some people even bother defending this shit show. They are a joke. It's beyond pathetic. They don't even remotely try to etch out their own legacy they simply live off the past, a past all but one of them had absolutely NOTHING to do with. LEECHING is what they are doing.

This...

I am sure that everyone who spend time here like or have liked GN'R's music at some point in time. No reason for you to try to drum up some argument for why these disgruntled members used to be fans and have every right to be here. I agree with this, I find it trivial. My point is just that if they really have nothing better to do than hang around at a forum for a band they now consider a joke, then the joke is truly on them.

I'm not drumming up anything. I'm giving a rational explanation in response to your ridiculous assertions about certain members who post here. Even more absurd is that many posters like yourself waste more time trying to psychoanalyze people you know nothing about, instead of discussing the band you claim to be here for. Those people you keep putting down don't give a damn why you are here, and spend more time actually talking about GNR than you do. And yet you think that somehow your time is being better spent on this form than anyone's else's. Really? That's hysterical. You may want to rethink who the real jokes are on this forum.

• Like 1

I don't think it's a joke, but then again I don't spend my time wondering about GN'R and their possible joke/non joke status. To be honest, I'll be happy if they keep touring, or put out a new album or split up, whatever. I used to obsess over their every move as a kid, but being over 30 I have other things to occupy my mind with, and actual worries other then what Axl did in Bumfuck, Brazil last night :lol: If they come here, I'll go 10 times out of 10. Don't care what the line up is or what they play, it's been my favorite band/music for 22-23 years and it'll stay that way.

I check the news page to see if there's anything new, and see if there's any cool videos to check out, then I go on with my life. :axl: can do what he wants, no skin off my nose.

It's interesting to note, on Setlist.fm I'm seeing a lot of set notes saying "first time GNR has ever played here." We all know that nuGNR is quite popular in SA, but I really didn't think their popularity their was growing at such a rate in which multiple never before played venues (by any lineup of GNR) are being booked.

I'm giving a rational explanation in response to your ridiculous assertions about certain members who post here.

I am sorry but I must have missed your rational explanation as to why some people waste away their precious time dissing a band they don't like anymore.

I tried to rethink the matter, but no, again, the band is not a joke but those who think it is, yet still cling to the forum like ghosts of the past, are.

• Like 1