Is the band officially a joke in your eyes?

Only Axl and Caram know what's releasable, and other than royalty checks, there wasn't much communication between GNR and Interscope since 2008.

People are hoping for new music but they're not waiting for it. I think we'll get new songs but no new album.

I think the band's attitude about it is - it sucks it's not out, but we got paid well for it and it's Axl's decision on what he wants to do with it.

After Metallica and Prince acquired their master tapes, there is going to be questions about what other artists are also getting theirs, which in GNR's case is going to be interesting. Axl may have a reason to talk to Slash when the time comes, and Duff of course would be a part of it. Record companies are doing fire sales at this point because they're losing their value.

Here it is ''We opened for him once in Long Beach during the early days. This was back when Axl used to wear those chaps with his ass hanging out and no underwear. I remember it was backstage, and Johnny Thunders said, `What are you, some kind of biker fag?' Axl goes, `I'll fuckin' kill you.' Really wanted to kick his ass. And Johnny just sat there smoking his joints and drinking his Budweisers. Great first impression."

• Like 1

Here it is ''We opened for him once in Long Beach during the early days. This was back when Axl used to wear those chaps with his ass hanging out and no underwear. I remember it was backstage, and Johnny Thunders said, `What are you, some kind of biker fag?' Axl goes, `I'll fuckin' kill you.' Really wanted to kick his ass. And Johnny just sat there smoking his joints and drinking his Budweisers. Great first impression."

:lol::lol:

johnny was cool as fuck

Axl just settled for the guys he has now. They weren't a part of his original vision. He's not inspired by these guys, so the lack of new music is probably just par for the course these days. Had Robin and Bucket never left, then perhaps we'd have a few new albums by now, but due to Axl's laziness or whatever it is that is going on in his mind, it all fell apart and this is what we're left with.

After Metallica and Prince acquired their master tapes, there is going to be questions about what other artists are also getting theirs, which in GNR's case is going to be interesting. Axl may have a reason to talk to Slash when the time comes, and Duff of course would be a part of it. Record companies are doing fire sales at this point because they're losing their value.

Axl speaking to Slash seems so far fetched, didn't he not speak to him when they were inducted into the hall of fame? Axl didn't even bother to show up. :(

Only Axl and Caram know what's releasable, and other than royalty checks, there wasn't much communication between GNR and Interscope since 2008.

People are hoping for new music but they're not waiting for it. I think we'll get new songs but no new album.

I think the band's attitude about it is - it sucks it's not out, but we got paid well for it and it's Axl's decision on what he wants to do with it.

I'd like Appetite to be remixed. Like the dry mix of Mr. Brownstone for example.
  • Like 1

Axl speaking to Slash seems so far fetched, didn't he not speak to him when they were inducted into the hall of fame? Axl didn't even bother to show up. :(

It's far fetched, but there's a difference between being in the public eye going up on a stage and playing nice, or just talking to each other in private. It's more awkward when siblings have a falling out because there's some reason or other they're obligated to talk to each other.

So far Axl has had no reason to talk to Slash.

Thunders had way more onstage and offstage brawls than Axl ever has. Duff pretty much said he was a disappointment when he met him. The documentary should be out soon.

Ya, much more likely to be done via correspondence, like the Live Era double disc...and that turned out great :P

They wouldn't need to speak directly: their lawyers would act as intermediaries which is what happened with Live:Era and when they were on the same side of lawsuits.

Couldn't bother reading to people who replied to my posts. But for those saying the complainers are the joke, you're correct. Except we are all PART of the joke, not the joke. From mods to cupcakes.

If you simply can't understand that besides the touring, having a stable lineup, Axl still being to breathe, there are many other negative aspects surrounding this, and they matter more to me than they adding a new cover and DJ playing La Vida Loca, then you have a problem.

This band is a joke because Axl destroyed the old one so he could move on, make modern and complex music and reach the artistic heights he couldn't with the old band. Why is that a joke? Because what happened was the complete opposite. CD is a regular pop/rock album and they keep playing more AFD than anything.

If you can't tolerate frustrated fans, this is not the place for you. If you can't tolerate jokes about GNR, go to MLS forum, HTGTH or that forum with statistics with only one active member.

I don't take this place seriously, I don't take this band seriously. It's all a joke I'm not really proud to be part of, but like I always say. I like the community a lot.

Edited by ProstituteComa
  • Like 1

This band is a joke because Axl destroyed the old one so he could move on, make modern and complex music and reach the artistic heights he couldn't with the old band. Why is that a joke? Because what happened was the complete opposite. CD is a regular pop/rock album and they keep playing more AFD than anything.

If you actually thought the band would stop leaning on material from AFD and UYI in concerts then you are an ever bigger joke.

If you actually thought the band would stop leaning on material from AFD and UYI in concerts then you are an ever bigger joke.

Are you saying Axl hired new guys just to keep playing mostly AFD and UYI material? If that´s that case then it´s a bad joke.Just a tribute band with Axl. They should play mostly CD songs and a few classics like WTTJ, SCOM and NR. And make a new album as soon as possible. Otherwise it doesn´t make any sense.

And as for the rest of what you said. Axl didn't destroy the old band for specific reasons. The AFD and UYI lineups disintegrated for a complex set of reasons (Axl being one of them). He could have retired but (fortunately) he continued with new guys. This resulted in CD (and more music in the future). It might not be a good music to you, and you may feel as scorned as you want about old GN'R failing to survive, but that actually doesn't make Axl and absolutely not the current lineup a joke.

Are you saying Axl hired new guys just to keep playing mostly AFD and UYI material? If that´s that case then it´s a bad joke.Just a tribute band with Axl. They should play mostly CD songs and a few classics like WTTJ, SCOM and NR. And make a new album as soon as possible. Otherwise it doesn´t make any sense.

He continued with a new lineup because he wanted to continue with the band, meaning both releasing new music and touring. But it should be obvious to anyone that the concerts would have to rely heavily on the songs the audiences would come to hear. Can you seriously imagine GN'R playing shows without the classics the huge majority of people pay tickets to hear? Like Sweet Child O' Mine, Welcome to the Jungle, November Rain, etc? Like any other band with a substantial and extremely popular back catalogue of songs GN'R is DOOMED to play shows with a core setlist of songs, lest they disappoint the audiences. Only if the current lineup succeeds at releasing equally popular songs could they stop playing the old classics.

And of course this makes sense. What wouldn't make sense was to continue with the name, change the majority of band members, and then STOP playing the songs that mad GN'R famous and which are intrinsically connected to the brand. That would be deceiving and moronic.

• Like 1

More music in the future? What alternate reality are you living in? Sure it would be nice but it just ain't happening.

I believe that GN'R will release more music in the future, and I am certainly confident that we will get to hear more music after Axl dies. The vault will sooner or later be opened, it is simply worth too much...unless Axl burns it, of course.

I hope and believe you are mistaken. It seems to me that Axl's motivation and drive comes in cycles (long-cycled bi-polar?). Suddenly he might find himself in the mood for being productive again, and yes, I know this will not give immediate releases :D but sooner or later the music will find its way out to us. It always seeps out.

And as for the rest of what you said. Axl didn't destroy the old band for specific reasons. The AFD and UYI lineups disintegrated for a complex set of reasons (Axl being one of them). He could have retired but (fortunately) he continued with new guys. This resulted in CD (and more music in the future). It might not be a good music to you, and you may feel as scorned as you want about old GN'R failing to survive, but that actually doesn't make Axl and absolutely not the current lineup a joke.

He continued with a new lineup because he wanted to continue with the band, meaning both releasing new music and touring. But it should be obvious to anyone that the concerts would have to rely heavily on the songs the audiences would come to hear. Can you seriously imagine GN'R playing shows without the classics the huge majority of people pay tickets to hear? Like Sweet Child O' Mine, Welcome to the Jungle, November Rain, etc? Like any other band with a substantial and extremely popular back catalogue of songs GN'R is DOOMED to play shows with a core setlist of songs, lest they disappoint the audiences. Only if the current lineup succeeds at releasing equally popular songs could they stop playing the old classics.

And of course this makes sense. What wouldn't make sense was to continue with the name, change the majority of band members, and then STOP playing the songs that mad GN'R famous and which are intrinsically connected to the brand. That would be deceiving and moronic.

If you read my post I said they have to play a few classics. BUT the problem is they play mostly AFD and UYI songs. I want those new songs that would be as popular as the AFD songs. CD is failure when it comes to popularity. So they must make a popular album the sooner the better. But Axl doesn´t want to. Or maybe he can´t. Because he knows he will never top the popularity of AFD and UYI. Still he sould make an album with whatever and play 2 or 3 new songs from that new album

Its impossible to take them seriously as a viable band with anything new to say.

They are a touring band playing the songs of one of the biggest acts in rock.

These are not unfair statements.

That is exactly what is happening.

The sad thing for me, as a life-time diehard Axl ran, is that I believed in the dream and with his vision. I didn't think he would ever match Appetite again (or bury it), but I thought with his talent and amazing voice that he would put together a post-Slash/Duff/Izzy career that would match any other bands out there during the time period.

When I saw them live and heard The Blues, Madagascar, and Rhiad (I think it was 2002), I fully expected that in the following decade Axl would release 3 albums that would all be dynamite, sell 5-6 million copies each and produce 2-3 rock hits on each album.

I didn't think he would bury Appetite or the old band, but I was certain he would create a band that could stand beside the old band with their head held high. OBVIOUSLY you aren't going to replace SCOM, Jungle PC, Nov Rain, YCBM during live shows. But with Axl's voice and amazing talent, there is no reason that he couldn't have created music over the past 15 years that would replace songs like Brownstone and ISE on the set-list.