Is the band officially a joke in your eyes?

I disagree. I believe the currently line-up, Axl included, would be able to write and release great songs.

You disagree with Axl himself, then.

When has he ONCE said anything at all about his employees' ability to write music?

I have no idea what Axl thinks about the current lineup, but it is disconcerting that he raved about all he would do with the 2001 lineup yet has been ominously silent about his future recording plans with the current. But that doesn't mean that I can't believe this lineup could make a great record.

I disagree. I believe the currently line-up, Axl included, would be able to write and release great songs.

Dr. Phil says you can't argue with results. And results up until this point show that the band is definitely not able to write and release great songs. Or poor songs. Or mediocre songs. Or...songs.

I love Finck's solos on Better, TWAT, TIL, but if you look at his output before ChiDem, would you have ever guessed he was capable of such work? And as much as I like some of Bucket's more recent work, if you showed me his work before ChiDem I would never have believed he would come up with one of my favourite solos of all time for TWAT, or even the other solos of his I love from that album like Sorry and Prostitute. I'm not the biggest Bumble solo fan but I love his solo on Catcher and dig his Shackler's solo. Axl's a meticulous bastard, brings out the best in the musicians he works with, so if one single person is capable of the miracle of making DJ Ashba™write a good song, it's Axl.

I'm giving a rational explanation in response to your ridiculous assertions about certain members who post here.

I am sorry but I must have missed your rational explanation as to why some people waste away their precious time dissing a band they don't like anymore.

I tried to rethink the matter, but no, again, the band is not a joke but those who think it is, yet still cling to the forum like ghosts of the past, are.

The band not being a joke is simply your opinion. One of many opinions here. Some you may agree with, some you may not. None hold more validity over another. For someone who likes to deal with facts, charts and statistical data, I shouldn't really need to explain it to you, though you do seem to be having some difficulty with comprehension today.

And please explain why you think you, or anyone else here, can determine whose time is "precious" and how they should spend it? Was there a memo? Certainly as a husband and father, some people might think your time would be better spent with your family as opposed to arguing with or analyzing complete strangers on an internet forum dedicated to a band from the 1980's. I imagine free time is a luxury when you've got a career, a partner, kids to raise, and a home to take care of. I bet half or more of the people you keep calling jokes and putting down have less responsibilities and a lot more free time than you do. Yet they aren't the ones spending that time judging others or questioning why posters are here. You may want to rethink who is really wasting more of their "precious" time.

• Like 1

Axl on new music, Oct 2012:

New music: "All the guys are writing, and we recorded a lot of songs over the years. We'll figure out what we feel best about. Chinese was done in piecemeal with one person here and one there at different times. Appetite for Destruction was the only thing written with lyrics and melody fitting the guitar parts at the same time. After that, I got a barrage of guitar songs that I was supposed to put words to, and I don't know if that was the best thing for Guns. I do want to lean more toward lyrics and melody."

"I feel good about their creativity. This lineup has been coming together more and more."

Maybe he means it, maybe he doesn't, but it's unfair to say he's been silent, there's a couple of interview quotes I can't be bothered to find right now.

Dr. Phil says you can't argue with results. And results up until this point show that the band is definitely not able to write and release great songs. Or poor songs. Or mediocre songs. Or...songs.

I love Finck's solos on Better, TWAT, TIL, but if you look at his output before ChiDem, would you have ever guessed he was capable of such work? And as much as I like some of Bucket's more recent work, if you showed me his work before ChiDem I would never have believed he would come up with one of my favourite solos of all time for TWAT, or even the other solos of his I love from that album like Sorry and Prostitute. I'm not the biggest Bumble solo fan but I love his solo on Catcher and dig his Shackler's solo. Axl's a meticulous bastard, brings out the best in the musicians he works with, so if one single person is capable of the miracle of making DJ Ashba™write a good song, it's Axl.

I agree with you on all of this. But like I said, you can't argue with results. Or, in GnR's case, lack of results. What they might be able to write is irrelevant when they're just unable to actually put out music. It's a miracle CD even came out. And Axl didn't even like that. That's the part I doubt with GnR as a unit and their management. Their ability to put out music. And results so far prove I'm right to do so.

That being said, I'd love to be proven wrong.

I agree with you on all of this. But like I said, you can't argue with results. Or, in GnR's case, lack of results. What they might be able to write is irrelevant when they're just unable to actually put out music. It's a miracle CD even came out. And Axl didn't even like that. That's the part I doubt with GnR as a unit and their management. Their ability to put out music. And results so far prove I'm right to do so.

That being said, I'd love to be proven wrong.

Tbh over the past year or two I've come to agree with the theory that ChiDem was only released because of the Skwerl leaks, and that Iovine or someone in Interscope purposefully made sure they got out so they could just release the damn thing. The Azoff-negotiated Best Buy deal was a godsend for the label.

Quotes from a year and a half ago are about as meaningful at this point as quotes from twenty and a half years ago.

This interview from April 1990 is still meaningful. If Axl was to speak openly and honestly today he'd probably say the same things: http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=4

If Axl wants to make new music, and he doesn't believe the current lineup is cutting it, what would stop him from bringing in new musicians and minimizing the roles of the current members? That's why I think the whole "they don't inspire Axl" excuse is just that. Axl's just in a 6 year slump because of CD's reception, and because he lost the last guy that did inspire him.

The problem with GnR making new music is two-fold. For one, Axl has to get his mojo back. If the spark isn't there, forget any new music at all, even the vault music. Secondly, if his inspiration does return, who knows how long it could take to make. And I guess a third facet would be Axl's voice. I'm sure in a studio setting Axl can still get it done, but given his perfectionist ways it's tough to say what kind of standard he would hold himself to (speaking purely about studio stuff since live is ummm a different story). And then the 4th thing would be the label involvement.

I'm giving a rational explanation in response to your ridiculous assertions about certain members who post here.

I am sorry but I must have missed your rational explanation as to why some people waste away their precious time dissing a band they don't like anymore.

I tried to rethink the matter, but no, again, the band is not a joke but those who think it is, yet still cling to the forum like ghosts of the past, are.

The band not being a joke is simply your opinion. One of many opinions here. Some you may agree with, some you may not. None hold more validity over another. For someone who likes to deal with facts, charts and statistical data, I shouldn't really need to explain it to you, though you do seem to be having some difficulty with comprehension today.

And please explain why you think you, or anyone else here, can determine whose time is "precious" and how they should spend it? Was there a memo? Certainly as a husband and father, some people might think your time would be better spent with your family as opposed to arguing with or analyzing complete strangers on an internet forum dedicated to a band from the 1980's. I imagine free time is a luxury when you've got a career, a partner, kids to raise, and a home to take care of. I bet half or more of the people you keep calling jokes and putting down have less responsibilities and a lot more free time than you do. Yet they aren't the ones spending that time judging others or questioning why posters are here. You may want to rethink who is really wasting more of their "precious" time.

Of course it is just my opinion, have I ever claimed otherwise? Isn't this thread about sharing one's opinions on whether the band is a joke?

Still waiting for that "rational explanation" of yours as to why some people waste away their precious time dissing a band they don't like anymore.

"Precious time" is just an expression. I don't waste my time hating on a band I don't like anymore and I feel genuinely sorry for those that do. They really are the jokes here. Nice of you to worry about my own time spent here, but no need to, I don't waste my time hating on a band I don't like and I can guarantee that the time spent here has no effect on my responsibilities elsewhere in life. And even if I were some loser sitting in my folks' basement with no job, family, friends or, well, life, I wouldn't spend one second of the ocean of time available to me hanging at forums for bands I have stopped liking just to express my ridiculous bitterness over the fact that the band isn't as great as it used to be. Haha. Oh wait, if I really were a loser that would probably be exactly what I would do.

At first it wasn't a joke, but I've gotten to the point where waiting for new music is just exhausting. I just don't really care about NuGuns anymore. That's not to say I wouldn't see them if they ever came to my town, but I've lost mad interest in them.

At first it wasn't a joke, but I've gotten to the point where waiting for new music is just exhausting. I just don't really care about NuGuns anymore. That's not to say I wouldn't see them if they ever came to my town, but I've lost mad interest in them.

Which is natural. Losing interest in something that never takes place, is what any normal human being would do.

What is less common, but still human in many ways, is to become so butthurt that you remain just to criticise the band, even for years on end. I guess some people just can't handle their disappointment and failure of expectations in a gentle and cool manner.

• Like 1

Which is natural. Losing interest in something that never takes place, is what any normal human being would do.

What is less common, but still human in many ways, is to become so butthurt that you remain just to criticise the band, even for years on end. I guess some people just can't handle their disappointment and failure of expectations in a gentle and cool manner.

Agreed. I'm not here to bash any line-up of any sort, I've just waited and wanted new music for so long that I just don't ever see it happening. I've also been gone from the forum for quite some time and I'm not up-to-date with the band at all.
  • Like 1

I've just kinda settled into "it is what it is" I mean would I prefer a reunion of the classic lineup, sure. Do I dislike DJ Ashba being in the band, sure. Would it be cool if they release some more albums, of course.

no amount of whining will change those things. I follow the band for axl and the rest can be whoever at this point.

I just don't think axl is has much confidence in the current lineup or we would have seen an album by now.

He really doesn't get the irony, folks. :lol:

• Like 1

Guest Gunns

When the lead guitarist of an 80s rockband says he sees himself more of an entrepreneur than a rock star , you know things are looking grim.

#ashbaswag #momoney

Haha I love the "Defenders of the Faith" Why do some people even bother defending this shit show. They are a joke. It's beyond pathetic. They don't even remotely try to etch out their own legacy they simply live off the past, a past all but one of them had absolutely NOTHING to do with. LEECHING is what they are doing.

This...

"Defenders of the Faith" :lol:

that's exactly what some nugnr fans have become

It's a joke, has been since that yellow raincoat lol. But seriously to the average joe gnr started losing steam with the ridiculous estranged video and axls gay ass little nut hugging shorts. Just go up to anyone nowadays in the us and ask them about gnr, I dare you. I have, and it never goes well.

yep