Dj NEEDS to be sacked

Guest Gunns

Wow, you guys are actually bitching about a guitar that was out of tune? It was an honest mistake.

Are you for real?

This guy is supposed to be functioning as a guitar player at the highest level. He should have the experience to know how to handle a situation like this.

Grimly plowing on is not the correct option - and never is in a situation where you are playing a song famous for its opening guitar line.

Who knows...maybe it would have been more awkward to stop the song

Well, you can bitch and moan about DJ all you want, but you can't blame him for how poor Axl's voice is now a days. I agree this band isn't best suited for him because he has to cover 20 year old #1 hit songs, but his own material is actually really good. Withs Axls voice and failure to stay in shape, we lost the Guns N' Roses we once knew. Funny how nobody on this forum is pointing out his low points and everyone is so quick to trash other members and show producers, but Axl is left untouched. I just hope that if new material is to be released Axl can hit the notes because the other night was just abysmal.

Guns n' Swedes, forget about Sweet Child O' Mine, what about his This I Love solo?

I need to listen again. Can't now as I'm working. I only watched it once and I didn't notice anything obvious though. Now what did he do? :o

It was terrible. All the way through the middle and the end was atrocious. There was a problem in Better too, I think.

This is crystal clear to me, if you're going to make rock n' roll poses to look cool on stage, at least focus on your playing, otherwise stay quiet and hit the right notes.

Edited by Nosaj Thing

They're a cover band these days, get over it :D

Problem there is that cover bands tune their guitars... to go out playing the Sweet child opening riff and not double check tuning is such an amateur mistake... it really is! the problem here is that I've seen at least 3 other videos of him doing the same thing on the same song... not to mention that he can't bend a note in pitch, either shoots just below or way over... rarely on the money!

I would say that Dj needs to be replaced because he really isn't a good player, I've also listened to some of his music and... it's bland, it's American rock radio "grade A baloney" GnR are not Shinedown or papa Roach, this guy is out of depths even thinking about writing for this band "you're out of your element!!!"

You don't have to be a virtuoso musician to be a good songwriter but you have to have something special... a great sense of rhythm, dynamics, knowledge of chord progressions... good ears. I can honestly say that I think Dj has none of those things. I will say that Dj is great in one area, that's PR, that man has that area down... that's why I'd make him manager of GnR... let him run the Twitter, FB and book the tours... get him off the stage and either let Rich and Ron handle the guitars or get a player that can actually nail the parts.

• Like 1

Wow, you guys are actually bitching about a guitar that was out of tune? It was an honest mistake.

Are you for real?

This guy is supposed to be functioning as a guitar player at the highest level. He should have the experience to know how to handle a situation like this.

Grimly plowing on is not the correct option - and never is in a situation where you are playing a song famous for its opening guitar line.

Who knows...maybe it would have been more awkward to stop the song

Because never in the history of Guns N' Roses has a song been stopped midway to deal with a technical issue.

• Like 1

All of these failures hint that the only option for Axl is reunion..They "tell" Axl that he should get in contact with the old lineup who could make things done...Even one original member (Duff) could bring more charisma and energy to GnR than all of the current members combined together <_<

I don't really have a problem with DJ to be honest. I know I can't do much better, most of us can't.

I promise you just about any one who posts in the musician's section of the forum can do better. The annoyance with DJ is heightened when you're a musician, who knows how to play what DJ tries to play but can't. The guy is plainly incompetent.

• Like 2

We're not complaining only because of an out of tune guitar. It's a whole disaster, it's a completely awful performance. Let me talk about it.

As if the riff being played out of tune wasn't enough, he hit'd/ a couple off/missed notes as well before the intro was over. Everything's smooth until the chorus - he missed the right time to play the main riff while Axl is singing. Chorus sounded bland. Okay, the first solo sounds good/okay-ish. Everything's smooth until the chorus again - this time the fucker didn't even bother with the main riff, he simply does not play it at all, so the chorus sounded way off. The second solo sounds okay-ish again. On to the main solo - the first bend is atrocious. Other than that, he does okay-ish until Ron takes over. The ending solo is okay-ish as well.

So yeah, he didn't simply play the main riff out of tune - he turned the whole band's performance into a world class awful all around performance.

The guitar being out of tune is his technician's fault and has probably been sacked, honest mistake or not this was the most exposure Guns have had musically in a good few years (in North America at least). Regardless of whose fault the tuning was, it was DJ's fault for not adapting to it or stopping to get another guitar. He's supposed to be a fucking professional musician, it was laughable.

Overdose of American Idol makes ppl think that every performance has to be perfectly executed.

But i must be loosing my mind for enjoying the 8 songs, i think i need professional help.

In this instance it isn't a matter of precise execution, it's about playing with his guitar out of tune and hardly noticing or caring. That's not profession. It's like a drum playing with a hole in his snare drum head or a singer singing while the mic is feed backing or cutting in and out. Fix them problem, then give a proper performance. Mistakes are mistakes.

However, in DJ's case it's not like we're talking about the occasional slip up. We're talking consistent collossal fuck ups that ruin songs. There's a reason we don't trash Richard or Ron like this. The guy cannot play his instrument or conduct himself in a manner that you would think his job would require him too.

Edited by TeeJay410

Anyone who is a competent guitar player can see that Ashba isn't particularly special or even that accurate playing GNR songs, which aren't even difficult apart from a couple solos, he's no amateur and obviously knows his shit, which he fucking ought to do, but the band would be a lot better if they get someone else in who is a superior player and it doesn't even have to be an overly enthusiastic figure since RON is actually better with the fans anyway. Ashba should be doing clinics and honest q and a's if his whole positive standing in the band is Axl's number 2/lead player ya know but he'd have a job entertaining at a clinic. He'd probably set up a swag stall and say 'so this is the guitar I used to put my cigarette out on, this is an amp, you can get an Ashbaswag cover to put over it, these are my stagepants also from ashbaswag, see that bottle of monster energy on top of the amp?... etc

I don't really have a problem with DJ to be honest. I know I can't do much better, most of us can't.

I promise you just about any one who posts in the musician's section of the forum can do better. The annoyance with DJ is heightened when you're a musician, who knows how to play what DJ tries to play but can't. The guy is plainly incompetent.

Haha that's why I'm glad I'm no guitarist myself. I still manage to hear past these 'mistakes', it's getting harder tho.