This I Love

If you've broken up with a girl that you literally adored, you'll 'get' this song.

Something similar happened to me, however I dunno This I Love just hasn't "clicked" with me yet musically.

For a song with those kind of heartbreaking emotions my go to song is always Black by Pearl Jam, man that is a powerful tune!

• Like 1

Izzy Stradlin wrote all of the lyrics to Patience and most of Don't Cry...

Izzy wrote some of Don't Cry. Him and Axl wrote it together after Axl got dumped by a girl that Izzy was dating beforehand. The girl told Axl "don't cry" after he started tearing up a bit. Atleast that's what Axl said in the making the fuc*kin videos thing.

Guest NGOG

If you've broken up with a girl that you literally adored, you'll 'get' this song.

Something similar happened to me, however I dunno This I Love just hasn't "clicked" with me yet musically.

Sorry to hear, man. I was in your position not too long ago, shoot me a PM if you're finding it tough.

I don't like this song either... Yeah, I too find it cheesy and depressing as hell.... Vocals are annoying. You can play this tune at the very same moment you decide to pull the trigger.

Was it written for Stephanie Seymour??

what a waste of music...!

The lyrics aren't as intense as Locomotive, Coma or Estranged but, as ever, the delivery really fucking hits you hard if you appreciate what Axl's delving into, it ought to be cheesy and cheap when you look at the components from the outside but it's stunning when you digest the ingredients as they are brewed in the cosmic cauldron of jaded lover syndrome.

• Like 3

The lyrics aren't as intense as Locomotive, Coma or Estranged but, as ever, the delivery really fucking hits you hard if you appreciate what Axl's delving into, it ought to be cheesy and cheap when you look at the components from the outside but it's stunning when you digest the ingredients as they are brewed in the cosmic cauldron of jaded lover syndrome.

"SO IF SHE'S SOMEWHERE NEAR ME, I HOPE TO GOD SHE HEARS ME...!"

• Like 1

It's just a great ballad period. Cheesy lyrics? Seriously? Just take the time to compare them with the likes of Patience and Don't Cry….

Patience

"Shed a tear 'cause I'm missin' you

I'm still alright to smile
Girl, I think about you every day now"

Don't Cry

"Give me a whisper
And give me a sigh
Give me a kiss before you
tell me goodbye"
:lol:

There's nothing cheesy about those Patience lyrics. As for Don't Cry, it's definitely cliche, but I don't know if I'd call it cheesy.

"SO IF SHE'S SOMEWHERE NEAR ME, I HOPE TO GOD SHE HEARS ME...!"

'It's hard to hold a candle in the cold november rain' / 'don't you cry tonight' / 'they're out ta get me, I'm fuckin innocent' :shrugs:

I don't really scream the lyrics of This I Love holding my dick with tears streaming down my face, but it does have some kind of authentic classic rock vibe that if it's going on in the background, you think this is definitely Axl Rose bringing it. I can't think of anyone pulling off such an overwrought emotional plea, just putting it out there and pulling it off. The song has an identity of it's own, it's kind of like pain & release. the verse are the pain and solo is the release from it, the solo seems to play off the verse really well. I think Axl is pretty convincing on that song. You need the vocals, lyrics and persona to pull it off.

• Like 3

Sorry to hear, man. I was in your position not too long ago, shoot me a PM if you're finding it tough.
I appreciate that man thanks :)

Pretty much this. I've loved this song since the day I heard it, but I just recently got dropped by a girl I was with for 5 years. The song tends to take new meaning after that.

Holy cow, sorry to hear that

Thanks man. I've survived thus far but it's never fun. Music can help you through rough times, you know?

And liquor. Lots of liquor. :lol:

all the "scroll down thru" opinions apart, I'd like to share a fact

not all of you know,

even tho the song wasn't a single, it reached number ONE on the Polish mainstream radio, and stayed put there for 3-4 weeks in early 2009

p.s. Poland is the european country between Germany and Russia. Ever heard of those?

Yeah, people seem to really respond to this song. I remember I was playing CD in the car many years back after it first came out and TIL came on. My friend was curious as to what song it was. At the Izod Center show a women next to me who was drunk as fuck asked me the name of the song when they played it. She also fell down the stairs later.

A couple years back the poster White Raven listened to the song (she never listened to CD) and she was obsessed with it for a little while.

Personally I really dislike some things about the way the song was recorded - particularly the vocals during the chorus. But I think it's a good song to show people who want to get into "NuGNR". Musically, it sounds like something that could come from the UYI's.

Edited by Broskirose

Btw, I think Robin really proved with his This I Love solo that he can hold a melody for a long period of time and construct a solo much like Slash used to do in Guns where it's very melodic with a very clear direction all while doing those bluesy bends and making it fit the song as a whole.

I don't like Axl's chorus melody, but other then that, I relate to it musically and lyrically.

Edited by Rovim