Someone should be a dear and make me a compilation of the best stuff from the Pikes series.

I'd be interested to hear that as well.

I would be seriously impressed if anyone here has actually listened to every single pike start to finish. Has anyone managed it? There's 59 now! :lol:

Something else I'm interested in (DCK can probably answer)... what's the difference between albums released as Buckethead and those released under Death Cube K? I haven't heard any of the DCK albums; just wondering if they're heavier, more experimental, ambient, etc... what's the deal?

Someone should be a dear and make me a compilation of the best stuff from the Pikes series.

I would be seriously impressed if anyone here has actually listened to every single pike start to finish. Has anyone managed it? There's 59 now! :lol:

Something else I'm interested in (DCK can probably answer)... what's the difference between albums released as Buckethead and those released under Death Cube K? I haven't heard any of the DCK albums; just wondering if they're heavier, more experimental, ambient, etc... what's the deal?

Dude, I own all 13 volumes of In Search Of The, and I don't even know if I've listened to all of those :lol:

Hard to choose, probably Population Override, Colma and Electric Tears.

I'm listening to Earth Heals Herself right now, great song:

Note choices and phrasing on that one are great. One of my favorite slow Bucket tunes.

I've listened to every Pike at least twice. Some Pikes dozens of times... I listen to music for a few hours every day at work, so it's really not that hard to get through it all :shades:

Yeah, you've pretty much answered your own question. Death Cube K (anagram of Buckethead) is really just an alter ego. He's released about half a dozen albums under this moniker and it's quite experimental, ambient kinda stuff.

Thirded. I just can't keep up on all of it.

Tbh, there's so many Pikes out there, it's hard to pick out the best ones and a lot of it is really good ;)

The one thing I would say though - As with all of Bucket's stuff, and especially with the Pike releases, it's best to listen to each album as a whole. Don't go picking random songs from different Pikes, don't skip through certain songs. Pick a Pike and listen to it from start to finish B-)

Tbh, there's so many Pikes out there, it's hard to pick out the best ones and a lot of it is really good ;)

The one thing I would say though - As with all of Bucket's stuff, and especially with the Pike releases, it's best to listen to each album as a whole. Don't go picking random songs from different Pikes, don't skip through certain songs. Pick a Pike and listen to it from start to finish B-)

How about a list of your favorite Pike albums at least?

How about a list of your favorite Pike albums at least?

I'll get back to you on that one... There's 59 Pikes, I can't name my favourites off the top of my head :D

Pike 51 I posted earlier is excellent, and Telescape (#23) is one I spin quite often. Telescape is a more "out there" Pike, but it's great stuff.

What album would you all suggest for someone who isn't a BH fan, based mainly on his time spent in Guns, but is willing to give him a try? Nothing too "out there".

You can't go far wrong starting with some his mellow albums. As already mentioned in this thread - Electric Tears, Colma, Population Override - All fantastic albums that anyone could appreciate.

Thanks DCK for the suggestions! I always felt like I was missing something because I wasn't a BH fan and so many people here are. I'm definitely leaning towards a "mellow-er" sound of his. I'm going to check it out.

If you dig the albums he mentioned, check out Captain EO's Voyage and A Real Diamond In the Rough.

I second this, it's probably the best way to go. Start with the big 3 (the ones that most people know and like), and follow with those two Rick mentioned, and I would add Shadows Between the Sky as well, and maybe Electric Sea. But definitely start with the big 3.

Lie back in a dark room and listen to Padmasana!

^ I almost added Shadows Between the Sky actually :lol:

I don't really care for the DCK stuff. But the great thing about Bucket is that for the most part he can release anything he wants to. Any type of song he can think up, unless he gave it to Axl, he puts out. So there's still no shortage of what I'd consider "quality" Bucket :D

Shadows between the sky and A real diamond in the rough are both awesome. A great place to start for any new comers. They both came out at the same time and always felt like part of the same family to me.

Shadows_Between_the_Sky_cover.jpg

220px-A_Real_Diamond_in_the_Rough.jpg

I really like these two albums, and Electric Tears also.

I like Maggot Dream from Death Cube K, but that's it. It's a bit too ambiental, even for me.

• 2 weeks later...

This

I always listen to the pikes from start to finish

60 pikes man, this is just utterly insane (each pike cca. 30 minutes so this is 30 hours of music

Finally getting around to listening to some Pikes lately. Listened to Balloon Cement earlier but I wasn't feeling the heavy metal vibe. Listening to Shores of Molokai now and totally digging it.

Rise of the Blue Lotus has been my favorite so far.

• Like 1

Shores of Molokai was the first Pike I bought along with Pike 15. It's great :D

For people looking for Pikes to start with, I'd go with: 3 ft Clearance, Worms for the Garden, The Shores of Molokai, Pike 13, Rise of the Blue Lotus, Look Up There, Wishes, Frankensteins Monsters Blinds. City of Ferris Wheels is pretty cool, it's a little 'out there' but not too much. There's probably better people than me to recommend starter Pikes though. Also, "Twisterlend" is a free album ;)

http://music.bucketheadpikes.com/album/twisterlend

Edited by RickRoses

He has so many albums it's impossible to know where to start. I think the first one of his that I heard was Dragons of Eden, and it remains my favourite. It is probably easier to talk in terms of favourite songs rather than albums, because so many of his albums have got one or two cracking songs plus 10 tracks of unlistenable noise

Electric Tears, though I admittedly stopped keeping up with his new releases a couple years back. I felt like his earlier works were better. He's clearly a musical genius and very creative but at the same time I feel like he's almost deliberately pushing out stuff way too quickly these days just to be kind of avant garde and eccentric. If he really took more time working on his material and honing it he might be better off.

• Like 1