BBC Spends £11 Million Being a Cunt!

Dazey

The thing that seems most ridiculous about this is that the British public are the main source of funds for the BBC domestic sector, yet BBC World which is a pretty standard channel on most international cable services and is broadcast all over the world, is funded by the British government. That just doesn't seem right, does it? The government will foot the bill for every non-British person to watch British news and content, but not for its own citizens to watch their own news and content.

Fuck I hate politicians.

They should bill you like they were Virgin or Sky...

Pay for them & the BBC. only, you don't get a choice with the BBC bill and even if you can't pay it'll be deducted out of your welfare so that way, pensioners can pay too, but make it monthly and affordable.

I'm not sure, are they still in White City or not?

Edit: :(

The BBC Television Centre at White City in West London was the headquarters of BBC Television between 1960 and 2013.

BBC Television Centre

240px-BBC_TV_Centre.jpg

One of the largest such facilities in the world
240px-Greater_London_UK_location_map_2.s
7px-Red_pog.svg.png
Location within United Kingdom Greater London

General information Type Television broadcast facilities Location West side of Wood Lane (A219) in White City, opposite Wood Lane tube station Address White City, W12 7RJ Country United Kingdom Coordinates 17px-WMA_button2b.png51.5099°N 0.2263°WCoordinates: 17px-WMA_button2b.png51.5099°N 0.2263°W Elevation 6 m (20 ft) Completed 29 June 1960 Inaugurated 29 June 1960 Renovated 2013–15 (due to be complete by 2020) Closed 31 March 2013 Cost £10m
adjusted by inflation: £102m Owner Stanhope plc Technical details Floor count 8 (above ground) Floor area 5.7 hectares (14 acres) Design and construction Architect Graham Dawbarn Architecture firm Norman & Dawbarn Structural engineer Mr Marmaduke T Tudsbery Main contractor Higgs and Hill (superstructure), George Wimpey (foundations)

Edited by Snake-Pit

As my flat was empty for around a year, my letterbox was piled high with them upon my arrival. I would get one a month, every month. Even after I went online to declare that I don't own a TV, nor watch live TV online, they continued to send them. The tone they are written in is more aggressive than any scam email I've received. Come to think of it, I used to receive BNP mailings under a pseudonym as part of my dissertation research, and the BBC TV lisence letters were far worse.

Also, their online ads saying that a BBC TV licence inspector could visit unexpected any day of the week. I can't imagine any of them agreeing to work weekends!

Do I understand correctly that there's no satellite or cable companies in the UK, instead it's just the BBC that provides access to all television therefore payments go only to the BBC? Monopolies like that are never good. So what's the going rate and how many channels does it get ya?

No, you have the satelite services (e.g. Sky, BT) also. You also have the other terrestial services such as ITV, Channel 4 and 5.

is this just for over the air channels or is this cable tv? if it is cable i had the shittiest cable tv company in the world comcast. i was triple billed in one month paid almost 500 dollars and still was disconnected, so 230 dollars wouldnt be that bad :lol: if it is for over the air channels, i pay 2 dollars a month for that.

Edited by bran

Do I understand correctly that there's no satellite or cable companies in the UK, instead it's just the BBC that provides access to all television therefore payments go only to the BBC? Monopolies like that are never good. So what's the going rate and how many channels does it get ya?

Not the case at all. We have both satellite and cable companies and they have nothing to do with the BBC. There are four BBC TV channels I think and a bunch of Radio stations.

Guest Len B'stard

BBCs basically just what you get for free, 5 free channels that you get if you've just got a TV. Then Satellite and Cable are seperate entities altogether that you pay for.

is this just for over the air channels or is this cable tv? if it is cable i had the shittiest cable tv company in the world comcast. i was triple billed in one month paid almost 500 dollars and still was disconnected, so 230 dollars wouldnt be that bad :lol: if it is for over the air channels, i pay 2 dollars a month for that.

It's simply a fee to watch live or record live TV broadcasts. The provider makes no difference.

Freeview's pretty much mandatory now since the switch to digital, am I correct in saying that? So I guess for £20 for a Freeview box (or a TV with a built-in box) plus TV license you get about 40-50 channels, though only about 5 are any good (yay BBC4!).

Well you don't have to go to the post office but yes, that is the principle. Don't other countries have em then? Before that you had your wireless lisence and that. When i was a lad they used to say the telly people drove around with detector vans, dunno if that was true or a myth. Then again, back then they said if you watched anything but the BBC it was alright cuz BBC don't have no adverts so thats how it's funded by lisence fee but ITV and Channel 4 have adverts so they pay for em through that :lol:

We have TV fee in Norway, too. It is supposed to cover the costs of building the TV network, or whatever, in Norway.

As a poor student I just sent them a letter lying about my TV getting thrashed at a party and asked them to stop sending me the TV fee bills. It worked.

It's simply a fee to watch live or record live TV broadcasts. The provider makes no difference.

ouch that sucks.

Edited by bran

Guest Len B'stard

BBCs basically just what you get for free, 5 free channels that you get if you've just got a TV. Then Satellite and Cable are seperate entities altogether that you pay for.

The BBC is charging people for those 5 channels, isn't that what the OP is about? So how can it be called "free"? :question:

Sorry, mis-stated that, i just think of it as free cuz it's the channels that were just there as a kid, cable and satellite was thought of as the shit you pay for where you get variety, to this day i call those five (four when i was a kid) channels as free but they're not, you're damn right.

It's illegal but it's not 100% illegal, you can watch it in certain designated places like your dorm room. And if the tv police come around they can't make you pay unless they talk to you, that's a right they actually don't have.

It's public broadcasting that rather than raising money through advertisements or telethons, it ensures a good quality of service by making it ours and it's ours in a sense that we have to pay for it. - The BBC does do telethons, which are good, I like them, they often involve house hold names raising money for charity, not the BBC, so that is good.

Comedy Relief has sort of turned into Sports Relief and some years; that's around March - Children In Need, that's always in November.

They are a founding member of Eurovision, so as such, get to treat us to a night of BBC phone voting too!..

Ones I liked that can find/cba to post right now.