Led Zeppelin officially being sued for Stairway

bacardimayne

I like Led Zeppelin.

I remember reading Classic Rock one afternoon where there was a buyer's guide to Black Sabbath albums. It said that Slash's riff in Paradise City was taken from Zero The Hero from Born Again.

that is why i said iommi should sue slash :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YiVVpughTM

this lawsuit is asinine it happens all the time in rock music and music in general.

• Like 1

zeppelin was inspired by blues artists, who wrote music in a genre where riffs were constantly recycled or variations thereof. people go overboard, i think, with the whole 'stealing' thing, because there's a line there between homage/reference and outright theft. yeah, zeppelin took a lot of classic blues riffs and re-worked them, but that doesn't mean they didn't have creativity or use it in different ways, and i think given the context of their time and where they were coming from, the 'theft' was appropriate and not particularly egregious. people nowadays are stricter with not recycling riffs, especially in the age of hip-hop sampling, without their dues, but back in the 60s and 70s stuff wasn't quite as clean-cut and you hear a lot of bands from that era using each other's ideas. to me, it's just not a big deal.

• Like 1

Just listened to "Taurus" by Spirit....not a chance they win anything from Zeppelin.

A. Not enough similarity....and Stairway To Heaven has so much more to it.

B. Way too much time has passed and this is obviously a cash grab by the heirs of this guy's estate....and any judge/jury with any sense will be able to see that.

Edited by Kasanova King

Guest Len B'stard
zeppelin was inspired by blues artists, who wrote music in a genre where riffs were constantly recycled or variations thereof.

Yeah but they came up in an era where the rules were different and I'm sure they knew as much. Don't get me wrong, i think the lawsuit is bullshit too but this idea that cuz they were inspired by an era that they didn't come up in means that they thought the rules were the same for that day as they were back in those other guys days don't really stand up.

zeppelin was inspired by blues artists, who wrote music in a genre where riffs were constantly recycled or variations thereof.

Yeah but they came up in an era where the rules were different and I'm sure they knew as much. Don't get me wrong, i think the lawsuit is bullshit too but this idea that cuz they were inspired by an era that they didn't come up in means that they thought the rules were the same for that day as they were back in those other guys days don't really stand up.

There weren't many plagiarism lawsuits, plus some publishing companies were pretty shady, so going after someone who's got friends making cement shoes on the side wasn't exactly a good idea.

Zeppelin should sue Ritchie Blackmore for "Stargazer" (Kashmir) and the Hendrix estate should sue him for Catch The Rainbow ( Little Wing)...or Sabbath should sue Alice Cooper for Dirty Diamonds ( Paranoid )...or a whole heap of people should sue Marilyn Manson...

As Bran posted, the riff from Paradise City is lifted from Zero The Hero...you would think there would be a time limit for legal action though, right?

Zeppelin should sue Ritchie Blackmore for "Stargazer" (Kashmir) and the Hendrix estate should sue him for Catch The Rainbow ( Little Wing)...or Sabbath should sue Alice Cooper for Dirty Diamonds ( Paranoid )...or a whole heap of people should sue Marilyn Manson...

As Bran posted, the riff from Paradise City is lifted from Zero The Hero...you would think there would be a time limit for legal action though, right?

The way you stated it. This whole music industry is going to be in shambles if everyone is going to sue everyone. No one is going to make it out alive, if that's the case, except the lawyers and the judges.

blackmore could sue iommi for using the riff from lady of the lake for master of insanity :lol: or tom scholtz of boston could sue the estate of kurt cobain for using the riff from more than a feeling for smells like teen spirit.

some of this is laughable since people are inspired and like certain parts of songs either a riff or a collection of notes, and they use it and change it up or do something with it to make it their own. the taurus song sounds nothing like stairway except for a very small snippet of some open notes.

'Shackler's Revenge' re-uses that same riff that all of the Nu-metal bands (Korn etc) used, that 'du-du-dee, du-du-dee...'. If you want to talk about rip-off artists, Kiss are the very worst offenders. There is a song on Revenge which rips-off the main riff in Zeppelin's The Wanton Song. There is a Stanley song on Psycho Circus which is basically a remake of Alice Cooper's Eighteen. The music video for 'Let's Put the X in Sex' is a rip-off of 'Addicted to Love.'

People just like to jump on Zeppelin because they were the best. Many rock/metal fans like to try and knock Zeppelin down by saying "they stole this, they stole that, all there hits are stolen" blah blah blah...

Should Page have given more credit to the people that inspired him? Yes probably, but whats done is done. Besides most of the "stealing" was done with lyrics, not the music itself. Yes Stairway and Dazed and confused are the exceptions. But if you read the fine print, the old blues guys DID NOT sue based upon the music, but the lyrics. Willie Dixon for example sued over Whole lotta love and Bring it on home, both of which he was suing over Roberts lyrics, not the music its self. Which really begs the question, if Zeppelin are so guilty of stealing everything, then wouldn't he sue for the music also? Which can only mean one of two things, Zeppelin changed the music enough that it is not the same, or perhaps even more damning, Dixon stole the music himself. Any lawyer worth a damn could rip him a part on the stand because suprise suprise he didn't write that music either. Bring it on home for example is an old blues riff known as the railroad blues. It is actually legal for ANYONE to use that riff now because it is PUBLIC DOMAIN. The main riff for Whole lotta love on the other hand I am not sure about. I would have to listen to Dixon's song again to be able to tell. But one thing I do know about that riff is I have heard MANY other artists steal it as their own. Kid Rock for example has a song he plays live that is 100% the whole lotta love riff.

'Shackler's Revenge' re-uses that same riff that all of the Nu-metal bands (Korn etc) used, that 'du-du-dee, du-du-dee...'. If you want to talk about rip-off artists, Kiss are the very worst offenders. There is a song on Revenge which rips-off the main riff in Zeppelin's The Wanton Song. There is a Stanley song on Psycho Circus which is basically a remake of Alice Cooper's Eighteen. The music video for 'Let's Put the X in Sex' is a rip-off of 'Addicted to Love.'

KISS was sued by Alice Cooper's publisher and they settled out of court.

Lol at insecure Zeppelin fans entering maximum damage control mode

Their biggest hit will forever have another band for a writing credit. It's as clear as day. They are the exact same song. Jimmy Page is a hack.

Edited by bacardimayne