Led Zeppelin officially being sued for Stairway

bacardimayne

Stairway definitely derives inspiration from it however in order to win a case you have to have a substantial similarity, and the songs are standalone enough to where I don't think much is going to come of this case. This isn't as clear cut as say the Jake Holmes situation.

As for the greater whole, the majority of Zeppelin's controversies stem from the first two albums. Not that I think the lack of proper credits were the morally right thing to do however I always find that the camp of people who do nothing but call Zeppelin theives are severely misrepresenting the actual tendencies of the band as a whole and how prolific they really were.

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

The original writer of the song, Randy Wolfe (better known as Randy California) passed away in 1997, but a trust that handles his royalties are working with Spirit's founding bassist Mark Andes to build the case. Besides the obvious financial compensation, the band's goal is to get California the writing credit for ‘Stairway' that they feel he rightfully deserves.

meh, just another cashgrab

Probably will settles off court

Edited by Crash Diet

They stole a small section of music here but it turns out it's the most important part of Stairway To Heaven. Seriously, once you here that intro you know what song it is.

Hope they lose, no band that stole that much deserves the praise they get.

• Like 2

Like someone on another forum said, they might as well sue Bach for writing a song with descending half steps in it's intro, resolving on the root. It's seriously the only thing that is the same, and it's extremely common in classical music. It's like filing a lawsuit over stealing a chord.

Maybe Paschebel's state can now sue Vitamin C, Green Day, Avril Lavigne, The Beatles etc. for stealing that one progression from Canon. :rolleyes:

Edited by moreblack

Well, even though this is a fact, the statue of limitations has really got to be in play for this right? I mean it's not like the store where Slash stole the tophat is going to come after him or something (I actually remember him saying that the statue of limitations has to be in play for this from an episode of Top Gear).

All of Led Zeppelin's hits have plagiarism.

When you sit and listen to all their stuff front to back, this really isn't the case. There's the ones everybody knows about, and then there's the slightly more obscure ones, but they did create a lot more, the majority of their music, that wasn't nicked from anything.

• Like 1

Like someone on another forum said, they might as well sue Bach for writing a song with descending half steps in it's intro, resolving on the root. It's seriously the only thing that is the same, and it's extremely common in classical music. It's like filing a lawsuit over stealing a chord.

Except these guys toured with Zeppelin two years before they wrote Stairway. And a lot of the other songs on those first couple of albums have, through numerous lawsuits, had writing credits retroactively added. Zeppelin have been successfully sued for Whole Lotta Love, Babe I'm Gonna Love You, The Lemon Song and Dazed and Confused (The latter settled as recently as 2012 so clearly the statute of limitations does not apply).

So why shouldn't these guys get the same credit? I don't think it's outright thievery - just a case of Zeppelin ommiting the details of certain 'inspirations'. No big deal. Just give the guys the credit they are due.

Except these guys toured with Zeppelin two years before they wrote Stairway. And a lot of the other songs on those first couple of albums have, through numerous lawsuits, had writing credits retroactively added. Zeppelin have been successfully sued for Whole Lotta Love, Babe I'm Gonna Love You, The Lemon Song and Dazed and Confused (The latter settled as recently as 2012 so clearly the statute of limitations does not apply).

Thing is, those were much more close to the originals, outright covers they credited to themselves. That's not necessarily the case with Taurus. There's a part that's similar, but the rest of the song has nothing to do with Spirit.

I get that Page honed his craft as a session musician but it was a dick move to not acknowledge or thank anyone in the credits that inspired some of the songs. I mean Axl thanked Elton for "You Could be Mine", that's pretty much what some of the songwriters and musicians wanted.

George Harrison lifted a lot from other guitarists and was blatant about it, but they let him have it. James Taylor could have had credit for The Beatles' "Something" but he was grateful to have his first album recorded by them and made enough "Fire and Rain" money not to care.

There's bands who wrote lyrics to an existing melody and over time, changed the chords to it

"Dazed and Confused" was really blatant in not acknowledging Holmes at all.

Unfortunately what might be in Zeppelin's favor is that the estate or the guy himself waited so long to act. They could argue that the silence implied consent. Sort of like if a guy builds a fence and it goes into your yard and you don't say anything for years, legally it becomes his property.