The Official FIFA World Cup Thread 2014

Tater Totts

I am really enjoying the over the knee socks, the neon shoes and the current trend for two different coloured shoes on one player.

The bit at the end where they remove their shirts is pretty good too, I must say. It's great compensation for an unsatisfying score.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

England were so poor. How many times did Baines and Wellbeck give the ball away on that left side in the first half? Gerrard also had a shocker. Fluffed passes, balls been kicked out, passes to Uruguay's players (second goal) - awful. England are actually having a worse world cup than 2006! I cannot believe how shit we were.

And the other half while Uruguay just tried to defend tthe 1-0? And even after England scored. They had a few minutes where it looked like the 3 points were closer to England.

Yes but the onus was on England. I actually agree with you as, England played much better when Barcley came on, but that first half was a horror show. Just horrible fluffed passes and useless defending. That is the sad thing about it as I actually feel Uruguay did not play very well. England defeated themselves. England did play some decent stuff against the Italians.

Why are we so cack at this sport? You cannot even blame it on, simply being cack at all sports, as England broke the Ashes thing in 2005 and produced one of the best cricket sides circa 2009-2013 (alright, our fortunes have sunk since then but we will be back); we won the Rugby world cup in 2003 and still remain a moderately competitive force in Rugby Union to this day (case in point, some close run affairs in NZ recently); we beat the Australians in medals at the Olympics and even broke Fred Perry's Wimbledon victory with Andy Murray at Wimbledon. England are actually rather good at a lot of sports (especially boozy sports like snooker and darts). But for some reason, we are simply hopeless at football. Passes go stray, wobbling into the crowd. Experienced players commit complete defensive cock ups which would never happen for their domestic clubs. Natural goalscorers suddenly cannot score for love or money when that three lions top is placed on them. Managers who have won everything (e.g. La Ligues, Serie As, Champions Leagues) suddenly look like complete dickheads when managing eleven Englishmen.

We are terrible. Yet we invented this fuckin’ sport and possess arguably the best, most competitive, domestic competition in the world! It makes no sense?

Why are we so cack at this sport? You cannot even blame it on, simply being cack at all sports, as England broke the Ashes thing in 2005 and produced one of the best cricket sides circa 2009-2013 (alright, our fortunes have sunk since then but we will be back); we won the Rugby world cup in 2003 and still remain a moderately competitive force in Rugby Union to this day (case in point, some close run affairs in NZ recently); we beat the Australians in medals at the Olympics and even broke Fred Perry's Wimbledon victory with Andy Murray at Wimbledon. England are actually rather good at a lot of sports (especially boozy sports like snooker and darts). But for some reason, we are simply hopeless at football. Passes go stray, wobbling into the crowd. Experienced players commit complete defensive cock ups which would never happen for their domestic clubs. Natural goalscorers suddenly cannot score for love or money when that three lions top is placed on them. Managers who have won everything (e.g. La Ligues, Serie As, Champions Leagues) suddenly look like complete dickheads when managing eleven Englishmen.

We are terrible. Yet we invented this fuckin’ sport and possess arguably the best, most competitive, domestic competition in the world! It makes no sense?

I hear you!! It's even more senseless than having to separate your garbage!!

it's blame of Mick Jagger

The fame of jinx the leader of the Stones began when he went to South Africa in the World Cup 2010 and saw the England team being eliminated by Germany 4-1. Then he went on to cheer the United States, but witnessed another elimination, this time in a 2-1 Ghana. Your third option was twisted Brazil, the country of his son Lucas. Shortly after declaring his sympathy, but the team lost to the Netherlands by 2-1 and said goodbye to the World. Not satisfied, he still tried to wish luck to Argentina, which was thrashed by Germany 4-0 in the next game.

http://g1.globo.com/musica/noticia/2014/06/pe-frio-mick-jagger-da-azar-pela-terceira-vez-seguida-na-copa.html

Edited by Lucky girl

Relying on individuals... we seem to be transitioning to having a couple legit technical players rather than just gung-ho and beckham cross it that we tried for years in the past. Although we had five of the impressive liverpool team to link up this time and that did fuck all. Shoulda thrown this guy upfront in the 88th minute.

JOnes.jpg

Edited by RandallFlagg

Fuck off.

AndyM.jpg

In all fairness, the top teams from Italy's Serie A, Spain's Liga and Germany's league usually stand up well against top teams from the English Premier League. They're usually neck in neck.

Edited by Kasanova King

In all fairness, the top teams from Italy's Serie A, Spain's Liga and Germany's league usually stand up well against top teams from the English Premier League. They're usually neck in neck.

Wouldn't you say that the EPL is the best in terms of overall consistency/quality in teams though? There's seems to be a pretty big disparity between the likes of Barcelona / Real Madrid and the lower teams in La Liga.

I don't pretend to know much - I really enjoy watching/playing football, but I'm no follower of any particular league.

Oh, come on. If you are going to select the top domestic league, you are only really going to arrive at either the Spanish or English leagues. My point is, there is a huge disparity between the wealth and strength of the English divisions, and the English national team.

Just going off the posts here and on my Facebook....

I have never met a more pessimistic bunch of fans than the English. One of my English co-workers, after I commented that it was time to start cheering for Italy:

No, I hope we don't go through. We don't have the players to compete so would rather them go home early! England's full backs are rubbish and the centre backs aren't much better! Time to go home!
:lol:

I have never met a more pessimistic bunch of fans than the English. One of my English co-workers, after I commented that it was time to start cheering for Italy:

No, I hope we don't go through. We don't have the players to compete so would rather them go home early! England's full backs are rubbish and the centre backs aren't much better! Time to go home!

Italian fans weren't too far off in 2010. I was there all summer and just about everyone I spoke to over there said we were doomed from the start.... :lol:

• Like 1

Look at the history though, the heroic last stands we we are defeated on pens, the hand of god, Becks v Simione. England football fans have a lot to be pessimistic about. We do not even bother with the hooliganism now we are so pessimistic haha.

Look at the history though, the heroic last stands we we are defeated on pens, the hand of god, Becks v Simione. England football fans have a lot to be pessimistic about. We do not even bother with the hooliganism now we are so pessimistic haha.

I think a healthy dose of pessimism in regard to most (if not all) aspects of daily life is just part of the experience of being English. :P