The Official FIFA World Cup Thread 2014

Tater Totts

Perhaps, but in my opinion the question to ask is not whether Italy can win their two games. The question to ask is whether England can beat Costa Rica (and then beat them by enough goal difference)! They were great against Uruguay.

It would actually be atypical England crappyness if Italy win their two games and give England the window, and England completely screw up in their game and get hammered 3-0!

Edited by DieselDaisy

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But you are assuming an Uruguay victory over Italy. i am sorry but most people would bet on an Italian victory over Uruguay.

T'other way around, England need Italy to win both their matches. And I agree the odds of it happening are not good. If Italy win tonight (which is not guaranteed either given the form that Costa Rica are in) the chances are they will take their foot off the gas against Uruguay

Not if they want to be certain of winning the group.

But you are assuming an Uruguay victory over Italy. i am sorry but most people would bet on an Italian victory over Uruguay.

T'other way around, England need Italy to win both their matches. And I agree the odds of it happening are not good. If Italy win tonight (which is not guaranteed either given the form that Costa Rica are in) the chances are they will take their foot off the gas against Uruguay

Not if they want to be certain of winning the group.

doesn't matter they always sit back and mess about instead of pressing home the advantage and making sure of the result. At the Euros they needed to beat Ireland 3-0 to make absolutely certain that they qualified IIRC. But after going 1-0 up they sat back instead of trying to score 2 more. Its incredibly frustrating for me as an Italy fan to see them play that way but it's the way they are

Linekar sitting with a Italy shirt on the BBC atm. They sure are putting alot stock in Italy atm, but say Italy do win here? Shouldn't they just play reserves in the next game against Uruguay?

I honestly doubt think England would get past the last 16 anyway and there's no chance in quarters. Greece were more convincing in 2004 with their 1-0 victory's.

Heck is there any guarantee England beat Costa Rica? :P. Let alone batter them for goal difference.

Edited by AtariLegend

Guest Len B'stard

They just take the piss out of it here, they pull it out on any totally obvious incident and the commentators are like 'well, they've got goal line technology and they're gonna use it' :lol:

The commentator for the match is British and he's hilarious about it. He said something like, "Well, we don't need the goal line technology because we saw it was a goal, but I guess it doesn't hurt." :lol: But the halftime host is a company man so he has to push the product and talk about how many different camera angles and how many frames per second and all that shit while Ruud just sits there and gives the long face.

Edited by magisme

This was a tough group and I couldn't see us progressing. We haven't. Same old story. We're simply not good enough.

However, I've really enjoyed the tournament so far, especially considering as I didn't think I'd be around to watch it so I'm not going to let it get me down.

Edited by ADPT

Well at least it has spared us the pain of waiting for Tuesday.

Stick Lampard and the subs on for tuesday to give them 90mins of 'world cup football'. Try and play for a bit of pride.

Hodgson should probably be removed after this mess. Ignoring the World Cups England did not qualify for (1974, 1978 and 1994), this was England's worst innings since 1958! That is a damning statistic - England managers have been removed for much superior performances than 2014. I do not throw all the blame on Roy, but he had a poor World Cup. Messing around with Rooney on the left - as late as the penultimate friendly - showed he lacked a clear formation ahead of Italy; it was also a reversion to the, 'square plugs, round holes' thinga la Sven. Roy also should have changed things around, arguably before half time v Uruguay. I wanted at that point, some Jose style changes, like when Mourinho sticks on three subs after a mere twenty minutes of a formation not functioning. It was disheartening to see the exact same team come out for the second half and play in the same way.

No, he had a poor Cup did Roy. I also thought Gerrard/Henderson played far too deep, so you had this big midfield gap in the formation (which the likes of Pirlo thoroughly exploited). The left, Baines, was also a completely mess.