The Official FIFA World Cup Thread 2014

Tater Totts

We are terrible. Yet we invented this fuckin sport and possess arguably the best, most competitive, domestic competition in the world! It makes no sense?

In all fairness, the top teams from Italy's Serie A, Spain's Liga and Germany's league usually stand up well against top teams from the English Premier League. They're usually neck in neck.

Wouldn't you say that the EPL is the best in terms of overall consistency/quality in teams though? There's seems to be a pretty big disparity between the likes of Barcelona / Real Madrid and the lower teams in La Liga.

And thats why Atlético beat them both.:lol:

La Liga for me is more interesting. Even the middle class teams do it better than Brits as it proves the Europa League.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They need a Carlsberg team talk

I remember that ad.

I'm not even English and it still gets to me when they get to the Bobby Robson bit where it goes completely silent.

That, and I think that's Bobby Moore at the top of the steps with the lion isn't it?

Edited by moreblack

We are terrible. Yet we invented this fuckin sport and possess arguably the best, most competitive, domestic competition in the world! It makes no sense?

In all fairness, the top teams from Italy's Serie A, Spain's Liga and Germany's league usually stand up well against top teams from the English Premier League. They're usually neck in neck.

Wouldn't you say that the EPL is the best in terms of overall consistency/quality in teams though? There's seems to be a pretty big disparity between the likes of Barcelona / Real Madrid and the lower teams in La Liga.

And thats why Atlético beat them both. :lol:

La Liga for me is more interesting. Even the middle class teams do it better than Brits as it proves the Europa League.

You cut the part of my post where I said I didn't pretend to follow any leagues or know anything. :lol:

Just going off the posts here and on my Facebook....

I have never met a more pessimistic bunch of fans than the English. One of my English co-workers, after I commented that it was time to start cheering for Italy:

No, I hope we don't go through. We don't have the players to compete so would rather them go home early! England's full backs are rubbish and the centre backs aren't much better! Time to go home!
:lol:

Italian fans weren't too far off in 2010. I was there all summer and just about everyone I spoke to over there said we were doomed from the start.... :lol:

That's cos we were cack in 2010 but the players clearly thought that they would get out of the group just by turning up.

I didnt see much of the game last night but what i didsee was lots of silly errors from england that simply wouldnt happen playing for their clubs. Also the Uruguay number 3 should have gotten a second yellow card.

Hopefully Italy will win against Costa Rica tonight and Uruguay next week so that England get a chance to redeem themselves.

Guest Len B'stard

So basically Italy need to win their next two games and we need to beat Costa Rica and have a good goal advantage to go through?

So basically Italy need to win their next two games and we need to beat Costa Rica and have a good goal advantage to go through?

Yup, Two wins for Italy would put them on 9 points, a win for England against CR would then have them all on 3 points and it would come down to goal difference. Uruguay's GD is -1, England's is -2 so they would need a good win over CR to catch up

Yup, Two wins for Italy would put them on 9 points, a win for England against CR would then have them all on 3 points and it would come down to goal difference. Uruguay's GD is -1, England's is -2 so they would need a good win over CR to catch up

Not really. If Italy win both games, then they're making Uruguay and Costa Rica's GD even worse. Costa Rica are to lose both games, they'll be on at least -2. If Uruguay are to lose their next game, they'll be on at least -2. And if England are to beat Costa Rica, they'll be on at least -1. As long as Italy win both and England beat Costa Rica, they're through. They don't need a big goal swing.

And thats why Atlético beat them both. :lol:

You cut the part of my post where I said I didn't pretend to follow any leagues or know anything. :lol:

Well, you're the admin. Ban me.

Guest Len B'stard

Not really. If Italy win both games, then they're making Uruguay and Costa Rica's GD even worse. Costa Rica are to lose both games, they'll be on at least -2. If Uruguay are to lose their next game, they'll be on at least -2. And if England are to beat Costa Rica, they'll be on at least -1. As long as Italy win both and England beat Costa Rica, they're through. They don't need a big goal swing.

So I'm officially an Italy supporter for their next two games :D

Costa Rica are currently +2 so If Italy win both games 1-0 for example and England win 1-0 then Costa Rica would be 0, England -1 and Uruguay -2. So CR need to lose at least one of those games by 2 clear goals for England to go through.

Well when you think about it, sans the superb form of Costa Rica, that is the prediction most would give. You would predict an Italian victory over Costa Rica and Uruguay (although they may play the final for a draw) and if England v Costa Rica was a friendly in Wembly, you would expect England to score three goals.

Costa Rica are currently +2 so If Italy win both games 1-0 for example and England win 1-0 then Costa Rica would be 0, England -1 and Uruguay -2. So CR need to lose at least one of those games by 2 clear goals for England to go through.

4883191+_3986780f434f11a5ea0dc94a555b705

But you are assuming an Uruguay victory over Italy. i am sorry but most people would bet on an Italian victory over Uruguay.

T'other way around, England need Italy to win both their matches. And I agree the odds of it happening are not good. If Italy win tonight (which is not guaranteed either given the form that Costa Rica are in) the chances are they will take their foot off the gas against Uruguay

Edited by sturginho