Listen: Axl covers Elton John at house party

Yikes. He's saying he didn't promote his own god damn album because of the artwork?

Well, I mean, I'd be pissed as fuck too if I were already an art enthusiast and had very carefully chosen the artwork for my next album- and Universal is all, "NOPE. We're releasing this one [draft-only], so fuck you..." In response, I'd be like, "Oh yeah? Well fuck you too, then. Say hello to my little friend, 'Not Promoting the Album.'"

Is he talking about the Chinese Democracy artwork? Cause the one thing I don't understand about that is that I read in a concert from like 2000 he actually showed the crowd what the cover of the album was gonna be... and lo and behold, 7 years later that was exactly what it was. I forget where I read it, but it was a review of a concert from the early 2000s and it writes about how he showed the crowd a picture of the empty bike artwork. By all accounts, this appeared to be written before the album was released.

So what artwork is he talking about that didn't come out the way he wanted it? The unreleased next album?

EDIT: Here it is:

http://www.gnrontour.com/

08.14.02 - Summer Sonic Festival, Hall 3, Hong Kong Convention And Exhibition Centre, Hong Kong, China
opening acts: Fake?
attendance: 2,000 +/-
set: Welcome To The Jungle, It's So Easy, Mr. Browstone, Live And Let Die, Think About You, You Could Be Mine, Sweet Child O'Mine, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Out Ta Get Me, Madagascar, Guitar Solo [buckethead], Piano Solo, November Rain, Rocket Queen, Chinese Democracy, Patience, The Blues, My Michelle, Nightrain
encore: Paradise City
audio/video recording?: no
notes: GN’R hit the stage around 10 p.m., about 90 minutes after the opening band, for their first-ever concert in China. The lineup was Axl, Dizzy, Chris Pitman, Robin Finck, Buckethead, Brain, Tommy Stinson & newly-added rhythm guitarist Richard Fortus. During Buckethead’s solo, he played parts of the ‘Star Wars Theme’ and ‘Pirates Of The Caribbean.’ Buckethead also did his famous nunchuk dance, during which he threw his nunchuks into the crowd. Before ‘Chinese Democracy,’ Axl explained the title of the album and showed the crowd [on the video screen] the artwork for the new album. The artwork is black and white and features a bicycle, with a wall behind it that someone painted with “Guns N’ Roses!!” The video screen at the start of ‘Paradise City’ depicted the flag of China, then several shots of Hong Kong from a car and a helicopter. During the song, pyros and fireworks were shot off followed by shots of red and yellow confetti, which then fell from the ceiling.

• Like 4

:rofl-lol:

Nice work, gunsfanoldie. I wouldn't be surprised if Axl told the record company at the 11th hour that he wanted to change the artwork and the record company rightfully told him to go fuck himself. Of course I'm speculating.

• Like 2

He is butthurt because the booklet was riddled with weird pixelated placeholder artwork and lame pictures of the band any 15-year old with Photoshop skills could make. The artwork of the Red Hand booklet or the Grenade booklet was his original vision.

ok, so i have to ask... what would the label lose by using axl's artwork? they would have to spend more in ink or paper or something like that? pay royalities? why axl was so worried with the artwork but didn't fix the blip on Scraped?

He is butthurt because the booklet was riddled with weird pixelated placeholder artwork and lame pictures of the band any 15-year old with Photoshop skills could make. The artwork of the Red Hand booklet or the Grenade booklet was his original vision.

this. Cover B and Cover C look much better, and I can understand Axl's frustration regarding the artwork and UMG publishing a draft booklet. One of the worst offenders in Cover A is "Prostitute", with the awful pixelated pink and green place holders and a picture of Frank, as opposed to Johnnie Hurtig's "Scream" (inside Cover B) or Natalia Fabia's "Peacock Dancer" (inside Cover C).

ok, so i have to ask... what would the label lose by using axl's artwork? they would have to spend more in ink or paper or something like that? pay royalities? why axl was so worried with the artwork but didn't fix the blip on Scraped?

I've always believed that "blip" to simply be an effect on Axl's vocals, not an error with the recording or anything.

What's the timecode for the blip on Scraped? Never noticed it before.

How have you not noticed it? Are you even a fan? Why are you even here?

Saddest part is I actually like Scraped :/

What's the timecode for the blip on Scraped? Never noticed it before.

How have you not noticed it? Are you even a fan? Why are you even here?

Saddest part is I actually like Scraped :/

Yeah, because of that blip. (I'd like to know where the blip is too. Haven't noticed it either.)

Guest Len B'stard

When clicking on this thread the title read 'Axl covers Elton Johns...', was thinking 'ooh, Ashba Swag branching out into wigs now too?'. Axl Rose covers Elton Johns cueball! He wants to start getting tips now actually cuz Eltons gonna have competition in the 'bald piano playing poof' stakes before long!

Edited by Len B'stard

Is he talking about the Chinese Democracy artwork? Cause the one thing I don't understand about that is that I read in a concert from like 2000 he actually showed the crowd what the cover of the album was gonna be... and lo and behold, 7 years later that was exactly what it was. I forget where I read it, but it was a review of a concert from the early 2000s and it writes about how he showed the crowd a picture of the empty bike artwork. By all accounts, this appeared to be written before the album was released.

So what artwork is he talking about that didn't come out the way he wanted it? The unreleased next album?

EDIT: Here it is:

http://www.gnrontour.com/

08.14.02 - Summer Sonic Festival, Hall 3, Hong Kong Convention And Exhibition Centre, Hong Kong, China

opening acts: Fake?

attendance: 2,000 +/-

set: Welcome To The Jungle, It's So Easy, Mr. Browstone, Live And Let Die, Think About You, You Could Be Mine, Sweet Child O'Mine, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Out Ta Get Me, Madagascar, Guitar Solo [buckethead], Piano Solo, November Rain, Rocket Queen, Chinese Democracy, Patience, The Blues, My Michelle, Nightrain

encore: Paradise City

audio/video recording?: no

notes: GN’R hit the stage around 10 p.m., about 90 minutes after the opening band, for their first-ever concert in China. The lineup was Axl, Dizzy, Chris Pitman, Robin Finck, Buckethead, Brain, Tommy Stinson & newly-added rhythm guitarist Richard Fortus. During Buckethead’s solo, he played parts of the ‘Star Wars Theme’ and ‘Pirates Of The Caribbean.’ Buckethead also did his famous nunchuk dance, during which he threw his nunchuks into the crowd. Before ‘Chinese Democracy,’ Axl explained the title of the album and showed the crowd [on the video screen] the artwork for the new album. The artwork is black and white and features a bicycle, with a wall behind it that someone painted with “Guns N’ Roses!!” The video screen at the start of ‘Paradise City’ depicted the flag of China, then several shots of Hong Kong from a car and a helicopter. During the song, pyros and fireworks were shot off followed by shots of red and yellow confetti, which then fell from the ceiling.

Thank you for that. :lol:

As always, Axl is lying to his fans. What a guy!

• Like 1