Bad Obsession

Great tune. One of my favorites.

They obviously like the song too. Played at every show for almost 2 years.

Complete and total ripoff of 'Life During Wartime' by Talking Heads though. I assume it was that inevitable lawsuit had it been released as a single that kept it an album cut.

This song's one that Izzy and West co-wrote with Axl so as far as who actually brought it in and wrote it, not sure if Axl or Izzy discussed it in interviews. West brought the band a lot of songs so it could have been one of his that Axl and Izzy had added to it. Axl said it predates Mr Brownstone so maybe Marc knows more about it.

Edited by dalsh327

This is all I got:

Slash: For 'Bad Obsession' I didn't do [the slide playing] overhand in the studio. I did it regular [Guitar For The Practising Musician, April 1990]

Axl: This is a song that uh, we wrote long before we wrote Mr. Brownstone. It's kind of the same, it's something called Bad Obsession [Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, WI, USA, May 24, 1991]

Duff: It's a follow-up of 'Brownstone', really. Actually it was written before "Brownstone". 'Bad Obsession' is us objectively looking at ourselves. Duff, Slash, Axl, you're screwing up. You got a bad obsession [GN'R on WNEW 102.7 - September, 1991]

Axl: A song we wrote about a year before we wrote Mr Brownstone. It’s somewhat similar [stockholm, Sweden, Globen - August 16, 1991]

• Like 1

Great tune. One of my favorites.

They obviously like the song too. Played at every show for almost 2 years.

Complete and total ripoff of 'Life During Wartime' by Talking Heads though. I assume it was that inevitable lawsuit had it been released as a single that kept it an album cut.

Some similarities actually...but I wouldn't call it exactly a ripoff...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzORu1dqEE0

Great song.. I have a demo with Izzy singing it, and his voice suited the song better.

This would be a cool song for Slash to do witrh his band.

Share said demo please!

And thanks for the info guys!

• Like 2

Whats your take on this song? Me, I love it a lot. Aside from the bluesy tune, the song you can relate to whatever addiction you may have - booze, liquors, women, Orton, etc.

That said, anyone knows what Axl was talking about as his bad obsession?

gay-seal_large.jpg

I used to like Bad Obsession, but I don't care much for it now. I prefer the live version from the Tokyo video though.

I had the song played during my high school graduation.

'I called my mother, she's just a cunt now, she said I'm sick in the head'

black-kid-oh-snap17uxe.gif

I like the demo, "called your mother, she's just a cunt now".