Wrestling Thread Vol. 3

ssiscool

27 minutes ago, luciusfunk said:

Looks like Omega's staying in Japan for another year. 

Rumored Rumble/Mania plans have both Styles and Owens losing Sunday, Roman vs Taker at Mania. 

I seriously don't buy Taker winning the Rumble. I just don't. I can see him vs Roman, but I don't think it'll be a title bout. I like the theory that RKO takes the Rumble and Bray wins at the Elimination Chamber to set up their match at Mania. I'm also crossing my fingers that, if they do take the strap off Styles before Mania, that we see Joe vs AJ. Just think, ref goes down, AJ has Cena pinned, crowd gets hot, Joe pops out and beats the shit out of AJ, ref wakes up just as Cena hits the AA. Makes Cena's win totally not burying AJ, sets up AJ's feud for Mania for a match you know will get both him and Joe way the hell over, and leaves Cena without strings attached so an Elimination Chamber loss won't break up any business. That's just one scenario, though. I still want to see the entire Biz Cliz holding gold when Mania ends, but I doubt it'll happen. 

My favorite rumor so far: the entire NXT roster will be backstage Sunday night. So no stooge reports of who's backstage and possibly debuting. They're all there. Everyone is fair game. 

Maybe it's just cuz it's currently all directed towards Styles and I'm a huge fan of him, but I can't fucking stand Cena's new arrogant full of himself character. Downplaying everything AJ's done making it seem like it was nothing. But that's the Vince mentality. If it didn't happen in E, it simply didn't happen. Shame. 

The Nikki Bella imitation thing is pretty awful too. What's it accomplishing? Actually, the more I watch or hear of her the more and more I can't stand virtually everything about her. 

12 hours ago, Gunner55 said:

Maybe it's just cuz it's currently all directed towards Styles and I'm a huge fan of him, but I can't fucking stand Cena's new arrogant full of himself character. Downplaying everything AJ's done making it seem like it was nothing. But that's the Vince mentality. If it didn't happen in E, it simply didn't happen. Shame. 

The Nikki Bella imitation thing is pretty awful too. What's it accomplishing? Actually, the more I watch or hear of her the more and more I can't stand virtually everything about her. 

See I don't think he's running AJ down very much. I think he's pushing back at the fans, in a bit of a shoot that the fans deserve. Cena is a workhorse. Smarks hate him for his lack of indy experience and because the company pushes him, but all he's ever done is what he's been asked to do. And one of his key roles is to put new stars on the map. He gets blamed for "burying" people, but maybe it's not his fault, maybe he does everything he can to get them over when asked, and maybe some guys just can't get over. The "John Cena sucks" bit is old, tired, and clearly not true, and it wouldn't be believable for him not to snap. It's not knocking AJ's background and accomplishments, it's just saying there's more than one way to become The Face That Runs The Place, and maybe Cena's wasn't inherently less legit than AJ's. 

Thats what I like about this program. Everything they each say is straight-up true. Cena never was an indy worker and really has heat with the crowd, AJ really was disregarded by WWE for no good reason for his entire career. Even down to the words they use: Cena represents sports entertainment, AJ called him a "shoddy wrestler." The match will be great. And if Cena wins, so be it. AJ has had a longer first title run than many WWE legends, and this won't be his last, not by a long shot. 

Oh, and the poster for the Rumble being a work was fucking priceless. Perfectly executed, and every mark who complained about it should take this as a reminder that most of the time, HHH and co really are smarter than you. 

• Like 2

Yeah all true, but c'mon. Saying styles has only been hot for 6 months? Get real guys. And I'm sure a lot of the time the burying isn't Cena but there's been plenty of instances where it was him. Like Alex Riley and the finish of the nexus match at SummerSlam that 1 year. Pretty well documented that those were all him. 

On 1/27/2017 at 6:53 PM, Gunner55 said:

Ummmm..... the Cena thing is great. His attitude isn't as respectful as he's been in the past so it's almost as if Cena is heel already. How can you not like it. It just forces AJ to step up and fire back that's all. 

7 hours ago, Gunner55 said:

Yeah all true, but c'mon. Saying styles has only been hot for 6 months? Get real guys. And I'm sure a lot of the time the burying isn't Cena but there's been plenty of instances where it was him. Like Alex Riley and the finish of the nexus match at SummerSlam that 1 year. Pretty well documented that those were all him. 

Oh my god. Saying he's only been hot for 6 months is how you build the feud. AJ has only been hot for 6ish months in WWE and that's where they both work. Don't get so offended when they blend shoot with promo to make a great feud. Basically what you're saying is you'd prefer Cena to just do the same old tired routine. Safe and polite and blah blah blah. AJ / Cena is the best part about Smackdown right now and yes it has a lot to do with how Cena is cutting his promos 

Yes.

Looked at the NXT Takeover card for tonight.

It might be a great show, but om paper that doesn't seem like a great card. A year I wouldn't have though Nakamura would have went from Tokyo Dome and classics at the G-1 to headlining WWE's developmental brand. I'm sure the entrance will be great, but I've little interest in watching Nakamura working a tone-d down WWE style half heartedly against Booby Roode.

Really should have been talking Nakamura vs. John Cena or The Undertaker at this point... a year ago. 

Edited by AtariLegend

Why is their a 3rd person on the NXT announce team tonight?

It's ridiculous, it's like Vince is trying to prove he isn't racist by adding a terrible 3rd black commenter to every desk.

They probably have enough announcers under contract now to hold their own 30 man Royal Rumble.

Edited by AtariLegend

14 hours ago, PsychoKiss344 said:

You think we could possibly also see Nakamura tomorrow with Joe and Dillinger?

As much as I'd love it, that would also be a mistake. Having Joe and Nakamura debut at the rumble AND get them into meaningful Mania programs would be really hard. They both deserve to make a big impact and possibly insert themselves into at least IC/US title pictures rapidly. It'd work too because they're both well-known, over and deserving. But doing both for Mania seems like rushing it. It would either be in meaningless feuds or at the cost of other people. Save some for SummerSlam. The card is already (a little too) full. 

I could see Dillenger doing a cameo tonight and then staying on NXT a while longer. Kind of like Bayley when she teamed with Sasha. 

I mean, fuck, you have AJ, Cena, Taker, Brock, Goldberg, Rollins, Reigns, KO, Jericho, Miz, Strowman, Wyatt and Orton in there. Add the underused Zayn, Rusev and maybe Ziggler, Harper and Ambrose and you should be able to create a full and good card. And that's without even counting the mandatory tag, women's and cruiserweight matches. Or a possible Balor return. Or a possible Angle match. It's hard to still work either Joe or Nakamura in there and have it mean something. Let alone both.

Edited by username

1 hour ago, username said:

I mean, fuck, you have AJ, Cena, Taker, Brock, Goldberg, Rollins, Reigns, KO, Jericho, Miz, Strowman, Wyatt and Orton in there. Add the underused Zayn, Rusev and maybe Ziggler, Harper and Ambrose and you should be able to create a full and good card. And that's without even counting the mandatory tag, women's and cruiserweight matches. Or a possible Balor return. Or a possible Angle match. It's hard to still work either Joe or Nakamura in there and have it mean something. Let alone both.

The last two people at Mania to get their plans set in stone for Mania according to the Observer were A.J. and Cena.

Honestly I'd prefer to see Nakamura vs. A.J. round 2 or Cena vs. Nakamura (very unlikely)

Spoiler

(or released so he can go back to NJPW and work the G-1 this year)

over whatever they decided to do with Joe. Unlikely, but remember last year at Mania there were more audible Nakamura chants during Roman vs. Triple H than their was for the two guys in your main event that night (before they messed with the broadcast audio on delay).

Angle might show up tonight, but remember he hasn't been in good condition recently and he's at the end of his career. It'd be a shock if they gave anything like an A.J. match at Mania.

The Mania show last year went on forever and was mediocre.