KK's Man Cave Thread

Ace Nova

What I find particularly amusing is single men making the effort of creating man caves in their own homes in case a woman should come by. You gotta appreciate the ingenuity of women for being able to leash men they don't even know.

You're so uptight lol. Men need their own space to be retarded, disgusting, and just like a kid again when you don't have to worry about looking like a fuckin' animal with your friends. Not that I worry too much about it around other people, but women are different in enough ways from men, that even confident guys still have man caves.

It's not in case a woman should come by. It's like a tree house for grown men. It doesn't always stems from negative shit between males and females. Just to have space for when you want to do a guy thing, and you know your chick will probably want to do other shit then what you're doing in there for a few hours. Think it's pretty healthy actually.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

What I find particularly amusing is single men making the effort of creating man caves in their own homes in case a woman should come by. You gotta appreciate the ingenuity of women for being able to leash men they don't even know.

You're so uptight lol. Men need their own space to be retarded, disgusting, and just like a kid again when you don't have to worry about looking like a fuckin' animal with your friends. Not that I worry too much about it around other people, but women are different in enough ways from men, that even confident guys still have man caves.

It's not in case a woman should come by. It's like a tree house for grown men. It doesn't always stems from negative shit between males and females. Just to have space for when you want to do a guy thing, and you know your chick will probably want to do other shit then what you're doing in there for a few hours. Think it's pretty healthy actually.

Can you imagine how much fun Soulmonster must be at parties.

• Like 2

You're so uptight lol. Men need their own space to be retarded, disgusting, and just like a kid again when you don't have to worry about looking like a fuckin' animal with your friends.

We do? :lol:

But you missed my point entirely: This isn't about whether men should be allowed to be "retarded, disgusting" and childish -- some men might want that and I don't care -- but about the fact that some men have agreed to be themselves only in a small confinement in their own homes AND present this as some great achievement on their part when it is OBVIOUSLY women who benefit more from the arrangement, AND the amusing fact that some men will even adapt to this peculiar arrangement when they don't even live with a woman.

You're so uptight lol. Men need their own space to be retarded, disgusting, and just like a kid again when you don't have to worry about looking like a fuckin' animal with your friends.

We do? :lol:

But you missed my point entirely: This isn't about whether men should be allowed to be "retarded, disgusting" and childish -- some men might want that and I don't care -- but about the fact that some men have agreed to be themselves only in a small confinement in their own homes AND present this as some great achievement on their part when it is OBVIOUSLY women who benefit more from the arrangement, AND the amusing fact that some men will even adapt to this peculiar arrangement when they don't even live with a woman.

Fuck no. Some men need caves. It's a primal thing imo. And of course you should always be yourself. You're only yourself anyway so it's a waste of time trying to be something you're not. But that doesn't mean ALL your time should be shared with your chick.

Funny as shit moments can look damn retarded to a chick or even to other people you know. The man cave is an escape from disinterested people and just doing your own thing for a few hours alone or with your buddies.

And I didn't miss your point. Maybe you've missed mine though.

I'm kind of with SoulMonster on this. I never really got the mancave thing. I can't think of anything I could do there that I can't do with my friends when we're in the living room. Or the kitchen. Or the backyard. Been living with the Mrs. for 6 years now and I've never really felt like I needed one. It kind of feels like over-compensating to me. No offence, I just don't see the need.

• Like 1

Relax guys, I am not arguing to take away your sanctuaries and I don't even object to you having them (just read what I write). Just making fun of the idea that a "man cave" (= small, secluded area of one's home where men are allowed to be "men") is something men should brag about having, especially if you happen to be single.

I'm kind of with SoulMonster on this. I never really got the mancave thing. I can't think of anything I could do there that I can't do with my friends when we're in the living room. Or the kitchen. Or the backyard. Been living with the Mrs. for 6 years now and I've never really felt like I needed one. It kind of feels like over-compensating to me. No offence, I just don't see the need.

A LOT of men marry women they don't like and need to get away. The women have the kitchen and laundry room for their space.

A LOT of men marry women they don't like and need to get away. The women have the kitchen and laundry room for their space.

So you're saying that people who make mancaves have bad marriages/relationships?

So you're saying that people who make mancaves have bad marriages/relationships?

One of many reasons I suppose. Some people just like having their area.

It is a paradox when the one room in, presumably, your own house where you are allowed by your wife/spouse/girlfriend to be yourself, a "yourself" that means reverting to adolescence, in what can best be described as a temple to lost youth, is referred to as a "man" cave. I know that many man caves are anything but childish and submissive, and can actually succeed at becoming bastions of maculinity in a house ruled by women, but if we are talking about a room meant to recreate a dorm experience then it is more of a "manchild cave", in my opinion.

• Like 1

I didn't realize it was such a fixed definition. If anything my room just looks like a room where I paint, record my podcast, listen to music, write, etc.

It's more like a little studio with all of my hobbies and personal interests. Its a productive area where I can work on projects or do things I enjoy(that my girlfriend might not) without any distractions.

Edited by Dan H.

I didn't realize it was such a fixed definition. If anything my room just looks like a room where I paint, record my podcast, listen to music, write, etc.

It's more like a little studio with all of my hobbies and personal interests. Its a productive area where I can work on projects or do things I enjoy(that my girlfriend might not) without any distractions.

It isn't a fixed definition, hence we are talking about some types of "man" caves.

It isn't a fixed definition, hence we are talking about some types of "man" caves.

Oh, I guess I'm not following then. Although I never refer to my room as a man cave, I guess that phrase does have certain immature implications

It's no different that men who have a room that they refer to as their "study".

Except that things like "study", "musicroom", "theatreroom", "hobbyroom", "garage", "basement", "attic" etc don't sound like you've been completely emasculated and you're desperately trying to cover it up.

• Like 1

Is it the term "man cave" that bothers people, or just the idea of one? My guy has an "office", his own room with his own computer, printer, fax machine, where he actually does a lot of his work from, decorated with sports memorabilia from his favorite teams, plus some trophies, awards and books he's acquired, etc. Some of these things were expensive and I don't dislike them, but I wouldn't want them displayed in my living room or bedroom either, so it's a win / win for both of us.

Is it the term "man cave" that bothers people, or just the idea of one? My guy has an "office", his own room with his own computer, printer, fax machine, where he actually does a lot of his work from, decorated with sports memorabilia from his favorite teams, plus some trophies, awards and books he's acquired, etc. Some of these things were expensive and I don't dislike them, but I wouldn't want them displayed in my living room or bedroom either, so it's a win / win for both of us.

lol nice. With the office and the sports memorabilia. Your man still lives free like an untamed horse. He may not display his expensive manly things in the living room, but he can just write "man cave" on a piece of paper and put it on his office door. Buy him a little basket to put above his trash can. Make it more personal.

Edited by Rovim

For me it's the term in the first place, but it also depends (strongly) on how it's put into practise. What you said - totally normal. But something actually designed to be as "manly" as possible just seems like overcompensating to me. Only a eunuch would need that.