Have we exaggerated how bad Dj's guitar skills are? Is he actually better than we give him credit for?

Towelie

He'd be a much better guitarist if he focused on playing guitar rather than showing off. Showing off only works if you have the skill to back it up like Hendrix, Page etc. Plus I agree he tries to hard to act like a "rockstar".

Edited by BassistSeb

Guitar International: Did you pull pranks on each other?

DJ Ashba: Definitely, yeah, we do. I remember there was a time when me and Axl got in a bar fight. We kicked the livin' shit outta this dude. [Laughing] First of all, he snuck into this private after show party that was just held for the band and the crew. So it was this drunk, obnoxious guy, big dude. He walks in and he's telling everyone there he's our manager and we're like "What the fuck is he talking about?" Anyway, he was asked to leave several times and didn't. He actually turned around at one point and punched one of our tour managers. I saw it so I grabbed the guy by his throat and slammed him up against the wall and I said, "You need to fuckin' leave now!" I walked him over to the door, and he turned around and punched me in the face, so I just started unloading on him. Axl saw him hit me and flipped and jumped in, so we're stompin' this guy to a pulp, but it was all in good fun. Then, what was funny about it is, about three hours later we get done partyin', went up and the guy's a bloody mess sittin' in the lobby. We walk up and he apologizes for being a douchebag and then he asks if he can get pictures with us and autographs. So we're taking pictures with this guy we literally kicked the shit out of. It was all good; we all laughed about it at the end, he even laughed. He was like "Yeah, it was my fault. I was bein' a total dick." It was one of those things where it was just a funny moment.

:rofl-lol:

But what can you expect from someone who used to write like this:

WtqtCfA.jpg

And who has shit fans like these:

qnD8xVJ.jpg

Have people really forgotten how bad Robin was?

Have you really forgotten how much shit Robin got for being a shitty live guitarist? Because I haven't.

My point is a lot of people are praising Robin and how he was in comparison to DJ...When back in 2002, 2006, he was the DJ Ashba of that era. Everyone hated him until he was gone. Now that he is, there's this nostalgic respect and people just seem to forget what a joke this band was considered to be by PEOPLE HERE, largely because of Robin, back in 2002.

Saw on DJ's facebook yesterday that he has been nominated for "Best Guitar Player" award by some magazine or other alongside Slash and a whole host of other legitimate guitar players :blink:

EDIT: just noticed there's a thread on that already: http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/210351-vote-for-slash-andor-ashba-in-end-of-year-awards/

Edited by sturginho

Anyone who thinks Ashba is comparable to Finck is a fucking moron.

Anyone who thinks anyone is a "fucking moron" simply because they have diverging or dissenting musical opinion is...making a solitary silly remark that doesn't in any way necesarilly present an accurate reflection of that person's maturity and or knowledge about human personalities and the subjective nature of musical and art taste in general.

Robin Finck is probably my favorite guitar player ever and I'll always remember how it gave me goosebumps whenever I watched him playing "La Mer" or "The Wretched". As for his GNR work, I like all the solos he created, I liked most of his versions of Slash solos. But I can't deny(yyyyy) that he his solo spots were just unlistenable (excluding the duets with Fortus/BH). I'm sure Robin himself is not really into showing off for 5 minutes...

He's perfect in NIN and I'm glad he's back and that Trent probably won't tour again without Robin by his side.

In GNR, he has great moments but the whole project is a major failure, not surprisingly he chose to leave.

Oh I forgot to talk about DJ... He sucks, his music sucks, his mistakes have made me lol over the years and I hope he never leaves Axl, he's like the band's clown, even his bandmates enjoy his goofiness.

Edited by maynard
  • Like 1

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

He butchered the intro to Better a few years ago. I do love his studio work and hope that some of it remains on CD2

Terrible live on so many occasions but great in the studio. Worked well with axl

• Like 1

But doesn't anyone remember how everyone here hated Finck? Doesn't anyone remember his guitar masturbation faces from 2006 where he was obviously trying to parody being in Axl's band? The shitty sloppy solos?

The day DJ leaves, people will be lamenting his loss and singing his praises. It's happened with every nu-GNR member who has left. People hated Bumblefoot with a passion until it was clear he was on his way out.