Have we exaggerated how bad Dj's guitar skills are? Is he actually better than we give him credit for?

Towelie

Listening to the new Sixx:Am album two things struck me: 1. James Michael is a really good vocalist with mostly average material and 2. Dj is much better playing his own solos than covering other peoples.

It got me thinking, is Dj a better guitarist than we've given him credit for in the past? He is an easy target with the whole emo boy image, and the fact that he is playing in a band that once featured the likes of Buckethead and Slash doesn't help. But putting all of that aside for one minute, he isn't half as bad on the guitar as some of you make out, and perhaps he'd really come into his own if given the opportunity to create his own solos on a future GNR album.

Not everybody is like Ron or Bucket where they can literally play anything. Listen to Slash butcher EVH's Beat It solo on YouTube for an example of a great guitar player struggling to play another guitarists work.

Edited by Towelie

DJ wasn't bad live the first years. I'm not sure when it changed, but the way he has been playing lately with the Patience solo mess up and all never happened in the beginning more than the first times he played TIL. He has gotten far more shit than he deserves. I wish he'd go back into playing things as close to note by note as he can. I think the problem began when he tried to improvise live.

• Like 1

I hate his phrasing, don't really care for his tone, and his bends are fuckin' horrid. On top of that, he's kind of a douche and he looks like a joke.

His Ballad Of Death is nice, shows he is quite melodic as a car salesman. Gn'R deserves better. At least Fortus and Bumble can really play.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

I hate his phrasing, don't really care for his tone, and his bends are fuckin' horrid. On top of that, he's kind of a douche and he looks like a joke.

His Ballad Of Death is nice, shows he is quite melodic as a car salesman. Gn'R deserves better. At least Fortus and Bumble can really play.

Bends are often hit and miss live, even for the best guitarists. I've seen both Bucket and Fortus butcher the NR solo with bad bends.

• Like 1

Bends are often hit and miss live, even for the best guitarists. I've seen both Bucket and Fortus butcher the NR solo with bad bends.

They weren't often hit and miss live for Slash which is who DJ is attempting to replace.

Slash's playing was surprisingly consistent in Guns and he was fucked up a lot of the time.

And please...how many shitty bends have Bumble and Fortus played compared to DJ? This I love solo, Patience solo. That's where you can really understand how shit he really is as a guitar player.

I wanna witness DJ attempting to play one of Bumble's fretless guitars. :rofl-lol:

Edited by Rovim

I love the first Sixx AM album. The second one was a mixed bag, and the third sucks.

DJ is great for Sixx AM, not for GNR. I also hate how he's plastered all over Saints of LA, his wall of guitars drowning poor Mick Mars. Mars is an amazing guitarist, sooo much underrated.

There's posts here dating back to 06, and earlier but that's when I showed up, saying this about Robin, Bumblefoot, and DJ. Here's why, it's not so much do they match strides with Slash, the comparison unfortunately would be to Buckethead. No one plays like that guy so it's impossible to match up for anyone, including Slash. Unfortunately Buckethead had chicken on the brain.

DJ is a very good guitarist, but ya know who I've been impressed with is seeing some live gigs on screen of late, Fortus! The guy can play some licks!

Edited by axlskAmpf

There's posts here dating back to 06, and earlier but that's when I showed up, saying this about Robin, Bumblefoot, and DJ. Here's why, it's not so much do they match strides with Slash, the comparison unfortunately would be to Buckethead. No one plays like that guy so it's impossible to match up for anyone, including Slash. Unfortunately Buckethead had chicken on the brain.

DJ is a very good guitarist, but ya know who I've been impressed with is seeing some live gigs on screen of late, Fortus! The guy can play some licks!

What makes you think DJ is a very good guitarist? is he even a good guitarist? isn't he a horrid one? at least some of the time, there is something shocking about just how shitty he sounds.

Some guitar players make their guitar sing, scream, and weep. DJ makes his take a noisy shit.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Robin is sloppy. DJ is incompetent. There is a difference.

Most guitar players on the forum are more technically capable than DJ. The fact he is such a douchenozzle makes the shittiness of his playing all the more jarring. It would be one thing if he were nice, handsome, or intelligent, but he dresses like a Jar Jar Binks equivalent from an unreleased Nightmare Before Christmas reboot and tries to behave like Nikki Sixx did when he was a heroin addict.

He's a copy of a parody of a copy who sucks at guitar.

Yeah I've been playing for 35 years so I know what ya mean, all I'm saying is he's not nearly as bad as folks make him out to be, so he got a very good in that regard.

My only question is if someone calls him a dipshit, and you call him a douchenozzle, would this product help?

Nozzle%20Dip.jpg

I have always maintained that DJ has talent on the guitar, and I would even qualify him as a "very good" guitar player. A band like Guns N' Roses, however, requires something more than a "very good" guitarist. It requires an exceptional guitarist with a unique sound and identity. DJ just does not offer that.

In DJ's defense, I will wholeheartedly agree that my opinion could be very different if we actually had music DJ had a hand in writing and recording. I am not a fan of Beautiful Creatures of Sixx A.M. but I can definitely understand his guitar playing sounds better because he is playing to his own strengths rather than Slash's or Robin Finck's. Until we hear new Guns n' Roses songs with DJ playing, all we have to judge him by is how he plays the songs released by Guns N' Roses before he joined the band; and for the most part he does an extremely underwhelming job.

Of course many folk here go to absurd extremes, the guy is able to play to a decent enough level, he can play the bare minimum to be a viable member of the band but he's not brilliant, heck I don't even think he's a 'good' guitarist, he can come up with some cool pieces though, which gives me hope even if he gets on a record it can work out if he is restricted to a few solos and a lesser member of the songwriting. Livewise he is pretty weak but can get through the shows and shows enthusiasm even though it half the time seems too contrived and attention seeking, I'd rather he improved his playing first then focused on being a wrestler-like over the top caricature. In short, he can play geetahr okay but it's not really the greatest asset to have a guy who is just about at the 'decent' plateau ya know? This is ignoring the rest of the carnival he got going on.

DJ's a decent guitar player in that he gets the job done (mostly). The thing is for me though that the guy just doesn't seem to have an original bone in his body. I mean Robin was sloppy as hell live but he's a really original player, nobody really plays like he does. When Ashba joined the band I was pretty positive about him. I thought it was cool he wrote his own solo. I liked Saints Of Los Angeles and the first Sixx A.M. record but it seems to be diminishing returns with him; the second Sixx A.M. record was passable and the latest one I don't really like at all. He completely butchered Better in his remix of it and his This I Love solo isn't a patch on Robin's (and the solo is the best part of that song IMO).

I'm not a big fan of his image and he really doesn't do himself any favours wearing that hat. It seems DJ's main talent is writing/producing songs that get radio play and make their way into the mainstream. I figured that may be why he was brought on board as nowadays it seems a hit song or two is what it takes to reignite interest in a band/artist. I think that ship has sailed though. His endless promotion of his products can get rather tiresome as well. So all in all Ashba isn't as bad as some people make out but hes's hardly a great artist or a master guitar player.

Edited by BassistSeb