Have we exaggerated how bad Dj's guitar skills are? Is he actually better than we give him credit for?

Towelie

He's a damn good guitarist. I like his energy, too.

I would like to see the pictures of all the people on this forum talking shit on DJ, so I can have a clear view of what perfection looks like. Hahahaha!!!

Don't forget he's a lead guitarist in 2 fantastic rock n' roll bands! Live and let live.

So. Many. Haters.

What is the relation between "personal pictures of forum members" and having/expressing an opinion about how good or bad a guitarist is? Why are you requesting something you're not able to share yourself? Is it because you look like utter shit? Is that was happening?

Talk. About. Double. Standard. ;)

• Like 3

He's probably better than all you turds that Bitch about him so much.

What does that have to do with anything?

Every pro sports player is a thousand times better than everybody on this forum. Does that mean nobody can criticize a sporting performance?

People bash Slash all the time....are you calling those people out?

So in your world, people can only criticize those that they are better than??? So every post on every forum would just be 100% worshipping.

And you call people vulgar names when you disagree with them? Seems a bit hypocritical of you.

You must be one of the turds I was talking about.

Do you play guitar? I'd say anyone who does knows how his live performances are on par with that of a kid who has only been playing for a year.
You have a right to your opinion even if you are wrong.
I'll assume you don't then?
If you think he is as terrible as you say he is your an idiot.

*you're

So... You don't then? My point is generally people who don't play an instrument have a somewhat skewed perception of what makes a guitarist good. I always thought Brian May was the best guitarist in the world, 11 years of playing guitar later I realise he's good but lacking the technical abilities of buckethead and bumblefoot. His phrasing and melodies are beautiful though.

DJ has none of that though, he isn't a technically gifted player like Ron, his phrasing is awful - he just about knows his scales, he can't bend to save his life - which is a simple thing you'd learn fairly early, even his vibrato sucks - the note is usually too sharp or flat, and he thinks scraping his pick along the frets is some amazing thing - it doesn't even sound good. There's a video from a SA 2014 show where DJ did an improvisation before the Jungle intro. It was painful. Almost as painful as his off tempo, garish Patience solos of recent, and his off key bends in his Nightrain and November Rain solos.

And this is why I think DJ sucks, and basically plays like a "noob" guitarist. If he said he's just started learning last year I'd believe him, if it wasn't for video proof..

And that's why I think he should not be in GNR. I'll take Finck's "sloppy" style any day.

• Like 1

It's still just your opinion. Dj is fine just like the rest of them. Your opinion matters but it's no better or worse than anyone elses.

Every pro sports player is a thousand times better than everybody on this forum. Does that mean nobody can criticize a sporting performance?

So in your world, people can only criticize those that they are better than??? So every post on every forum would just be 100% worshipping.

And you call people vulgar names when you disagree with them? Seems a bit hypocritical of you.

Do you play guitar? I'd say anyone who does knows how his live performances are on par with that of a kid who has only been playing for a year.
*you're

So... You don't then? My point is generally people who don't play an instrument have a somewhat skewed perception of what makes a guitarist good. I always thought Brian May was the best guitarist in the world, 11 years of playing guitar later I realise he's good but lacking the technical abilities of buckethead and bumblefoot. His phrasing and melodies are beautiful though.

DJ has none of that though, he isn't a technically gifted player like Ron, his phrasing is awful - he just about knows his scales, he can't bend to save his life - which is a simple thing you'd learn fairly early, even his vibrato sucks - the note is usually too sharp or flat, and he thinks scraping his pick along the frets is some amazing thing - it doesn't even sound good. There's a video from a SA 2014 show where DJ did an improvisation before the Jungle intro. It was painful. Almost as painful as his off tempo, garish Patience solos of recent, and his off key bends in his Nightrain and November Rain solos.

And this is why I think DJ sucks, and basically plays like a "noob" guitarist. If he said he's just started learning last year I'd believe him, if it wasn't for video proof..

And that's why I think he should not be in GNR. I'll take Finck's "sloppy" style any day.

Your completely fascinating , now I see it your way. Edited by gnfnrs1972

It's still just your opinion. Dj is fine just like the rest of them. Your opinion matters but it's no better or worse than anyone elses.

*you're

Your completely fascinating , now I see it your way.

Cool.

On another DJ related note, I'm kinda' frustrated as I'm watching a 2011 performance of Madagascar and DJ can clearly drum fine, keep a beat etc.

• Like 1

The guitar wasn't tuned, but he should have stopped the song and gotten another one.

Anyways, I never really said I hate the dude. Hell, I met him a few years back. He was nice enough, and I even think he does adequate enough in GNR. I enjoyed him the times I saw him live before he got REALLY bad and even like the first 2 Sixx AM albums as a sort of a guilty pleasure. But, he looks like a preteen emo girl's nightmare, he acts like a tool to "look cool" or "hardcore/rocknroll", his playing has gotten sloppy, his behavior is questionable (seriously, those stories from a while ago and his cocky attitude, and his constant advertising of his horrible brand are all more than enough to say "I am not really the biggest fan of this guy." He is a literal cartoon character. Slash sort of has that status, but at least he lived, breathed, and built that persona and image on real experiences.

He is a tool and although he is ok at guitar, he just doesn't hold a candle to guys like Ron and Richard. Robin was sloppy, but he was creative and unique. DJ is not creative, even with his original material with Sixx AM. It isn't really an insult, that's just how I see it. Not every guitar player needs to have that special creativity. When he replaced Robin at first he was pretty faithful to the source material, the past few years have seen him get more arrogant and sloppier. His constant antics like jumping around, hand gestures, stupid dances, etc also lead to mess ups. He has messed up the beginning of Civil War especially a lot because of this. That is a very easy part. When you are sacrificing ability for "coolness" then that is where a problem starts. The constant bullshit interviews and self promotion don't help him either. AFD- ChiDem should NOT be on his website and he should not dress like a Monster Energy, Ashba Swag endorsement like he does on stage. Bucket and Robin sure looked weird, but DJ just looks like he is a moron.

Edited by ZoSoRose

Its like I almost hope the band sucks at major events now because it is so damn funny

I kind of agree. I mean, give me the Axl singing Prostitute in Vegas every day of the week, but if he's gonna be terrible like he's been at most shows over the past 4 years then give me the lulz.

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

DJ's playing from a technical point of view is not anything to write home about. IMO they should have Fortus be the lead guitar player and DJ mostly on rhythm

Yes!!

That won't do. You can't show off as much as a rhythm guitarist.

DJ's playing from a technical point of view is not anything to write home about. IMO they should have Fortus be the lead guitar player and DJ mostly on rhythm

Yes!!

Ha! Good point, although I am sure DJ would still be doing his fair share of fake-Jaeger shots and Hulk Hogan ear gimicks to compensate

Yes!!

Ha! Good point, although I am sure DJ would still be doing his fair share of fake-Jaeger shots and Hulk Hogan ear gimicks to compensate

The problem with DJ is, imo, like people here have said already, is that he views his position in Gn'R as a role. He puts up a show on stage that doesn't really rings true to me. He craves attention and money and he'll do whatever it takes to have it, even if it means that it comes at the expense of the quality of his playing.

The Jager incident show to me that he's aware his guitar playing will sound worse when drunk so instead of not drinking at all, he still wants to sell his image to the crowd, even if it's fake. He doesn't care about it being real, just that it will look cool.

Every time I think I can't possibly lose more respect for Ashba, he does something or says something that proves he's far from being good enough to be in Axl's band.

Edited by Rovim

Guitar International: Did you pull pranks on each other?

DJ Ashba: Definitely, yeah, we do. I remember there was a time when me and Axl got in a bar fight. We kicked the livin' shit outta this dude. [Laughing] First of all, he snuck into this private after show party that was just held for the band and the crew. So it was this drunk, obnoxious guy, big dude. He walks in and he's telling everyone there he's our manager and we're like "What the fuck is he talking about?" Anyway, he was asked to leave several times and didn't. He actually turned around at one point and punched one of our tour managers. I saw it so I grabbed the guy by his throat and slammed him up against the wall and I said, "You need to fuckin' leave now!" I walked him over to the door, and he turned around and punched me in the face, so I just started unloading on him. Axl saw him hit me and flipped and jumped in, so we're stompin' this guy to a pulp, but it was all in good fun. Then, what was funny about it is, about three hours later we get done partyin', went up and the guy's a bloody mess sittin' in the lobby. We walk up and he apologizes for being a douchebag and then he asks if he can get pictures with us and autographs. So we're taking pictures with this guy we literally kicked the shit out of. It was all good; we all laughed about it at the end, he even laughed. He was like "Yeah, it was my fault. I was bein' a total dick." It was one of those things where it was just a funny moment.