Have we exaggerated how bad Dj's guitar skills are? Is he actually better than we give him credit for?

Towelie

Axl saw something in DJ that he liked - and its Axl's band and his vision of where he wants to take it. I think DJ looks like a douche and I can't stand how phony he is. BUT for him to have the career he has had, he has to have some guitar playing talent? He is currently in two pretty successful bands.

I really am holding back my judgment on him until seeing what the man comes up with in terms of studio music. If he inspires Axl, or if he teams up with Axl to create some kick-ass songs - then we, the fans, will be the winners!!!

Hopefully we'll get an album in 2015 that will feature DJ's creativity, so we can fully judge how good/bad of an addition he was to GnR.

I was at the front on the last Vegas tour and right in front of me he made a massive deal of taking a swig of Jaeger. Then he went behind the amp and spat it out. Could see it perfectly from where I was. I thought it was pathetic.

:rofl-lol:

Seriously, where is that photo of him making cigarette burns on a Les Paul backstage? I think it was from the 2012 Vegas shows, I can't remember for sure.

• Like 1

The thing is, DJ was ok at the start. We ALL bitched when he was announced but when Taipei 2009 rolled around, almost everyone was singing the Ashba praise. His playing was much closer to the original material than Robin with Slash's material and he did the new parts ok too, his tone was alright, he seemed thrilled to be in the band, and he even looked alright. Hell, the flannel and hat looked kind of cool at first. His playing wasn't like a technical marvel, but it was pretty good for GNR. I even gave him a ton of credit for writing a little piece for his solo spot, that was neat. I saw the band 3 times in total- 2010, 2011, and 2012. During the 2010 show he was finding his stride, but was pretty good. His best playing was when I saw him in 2011.

Then something happened. His attire became more and more terrible. He went from jackets and button downs to the worst t shirts and tackiest shit I have ever seen in my life. He has literally become a walking commercial for the shittiest of things. Monster logos everywhere, his stupid designs, really tacky swear words and profanity to look "cool", nightmare before Christmas reject shit, etc. I think this got really bad in like 2012. He also seemed to get cockier, advertising his shittier brand more, and getting sloppier at guitar.

The thing is, DJ was ok at the start. We ALL bitched when he was announced but when Taipei 2009 rolled around, almost everyone was singing the Ashba praise. His playing was much closer to the original material than Robin with Slash's material and he did the new parts ok too, his tone was alright, he seemed thrilled to be in the band, and he even looked alright. Hell, the flannel and hat looked kind of cool at first. His playing wasn't like a technical marvel, but it was pretty good for GNR. I even gave him a ton of credit for writing a little piece for his solo spot, that was neat. I saw the band 3 times in total- 2010, 2011, and 2012. During the 2010 show he was finding his stride, but was pretty good. His best playing was when I saw him in 2011.

Then something happened. His attire became more and more terrible. He went from jackets and button downs to the worst t shirts and tackiest shit I have ever seen in my life. He has literally become a walking commercial for the shittiest of things. Monster logos everywhere, his stupid designs, really tacky swear words and profanity to look "cool", nightmare before Christmas reject shit, etc. I think this got really bad in like 2012. He also seemed to get cockier, advertising his shittier brand more, and getting sloppier at guitar.

Tread lightly bro.

Remember, DJ has gotten in the face of the maid who tried to harass him about his smoking in a no-smoking room.........and he kicked the ass of some dude who was messing with Axl at a party.

You don't want DJ coming after you.

• Like 1

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

Slash ran behind the amps to puke.

Ashba runs behind the amp to spit out a mouthful of Jaeger.

I was at the front on the last Vegas tour and right in front of me he made a massive deal of taking a swig of Jaeger. Then he went behind the amp and spat it out. Could see it perfectly from where I was. I thought it was pathetic.

Seriously, where is that photo of him making cigarette burns on a Les Paul backstage? I think it was from the 2012 Vegas shows, I can't remember for sure.

That is hilarious!

• Like 2

Taipei 09 was the site of his TIL disaster, so no, he's been shit since the very beginning.

What happened in Taipei?

:no:

Axl: "Train Wreck, Inc."

This was a few months after DJ had said that TIL was his favourite song in rehearsals...

I find it a real shame in particular because I absolutely love Axl's cleaner vocals in this rendition. Not that I dislike the raspier TIL vocals from 2010, but there was something beautiful in the fragility of his voice here. If someone was to ask me how I'd make the distinction between genuine "clean" Axl vocals and the Mickey Mouse crap we've heard in the past couple of years, I'd point to the verses in this clip.

:no:

Axl: "Train Wreck, Inc."

This was a few months after DJ had said that TIL was his favourite song in rehearsals...

I find it a real shame in particular because I absolutely love Axl's cleaner vocals in this rendition. Not that I dislike the raspier TIL vocals from 2010, but there was something beautiful in the fragility of his voice here. If someone was to ask me how I'd make the distinction between genuine "clean" Axl vocals and the Mickey Mouse crap we've heard in the past couple of years, I'd point to the verses in this clip.

God... Axl sounded incredible there! Was DJ always that bad?

It's horrible, TIL is probably my favourite guitar solo on CD :(

Edited by izzlestrizzle

It was DJ's first show, so at the time I just out it down to not being rehearsed enough. After a few shows though he just gave up trying to play it like on the album and instead came up with the way he's been playing it since:/

He's probably better than all you turds that Bitch about him so much.

What does that have to do with anything?

Every pro sports player is a thousand times better than everybody on this forum. Does that mean nobody can criticize a sporting performance?

People bash Slash all the time....are you calling those people out?

So in your world, people can only criticize those that they are better than??? So every post on every forum would just be 100% worshipping.

And you call people vulgar names when you disagree with them? Seems a bit hypocritical of you.

You must be one of the turds I was talking about.

Do you play guitar? I'd say anyone who does knows how his live performances are on par with that of a kid who has only been playing for a year.
You have a right to your opinion even if you are wrong.
I'll assume you don't then?
If you think he is as terrible as you say he is your an idiot.

Can you please knock off the name calling as per forum rules. Thanks

Is it OK for me to THINK they are turds and idiots?

Every pro sports player is a thousand times better than everybody on this forum. Does that mean nobody can criticize a sporting performance?

So in your world, people can only criticize those that they are better than??? So every post on every forum would just be 100% worshipping.

And you call people vulgar names when you disagree with them? Seems a bit hypocritical of you.

Do you play guitar? I'd say anyone who does knows how his live performances are on par with that of a kid who has only been playing for a year.

You can think what you like as long as you don't type it!

Have we exaggerated how bad Dj's guitar skills are? Is he actually better than we give him credit for?

No and no.

I don't usually say this about any musician, but DJ is shit in every possible way. Couldn't play to save his life, looks like a 14 year old emo reject, twitters like one too, stage performance stolen from Hulk Hogan, Slash and some other people, talks bullshit in interviews getting people's hopes up when he doesn't actually know shit and on top of all that he uses more hashtags than my 12 cousins between the ages of 8 and 25 combined.

Edited by username
  • Like 1

You can think what you like as long as you don't type it!

It don't amount to a hill of beans.Some of these people are calling Dj nasty names which is not constructive criticism as stated in this forum rules.

He's a damn good guitarist. I like his energy, too.

I would like to see the pictures of all the people on this forum talking shit on DJ, so I can have a clear view of what perfection looks like. Hahahaha!!!

Don't forget he's a lead guitarist in 2 fantastic rock n' roll bands! Live and let live.

So. Many. Haters.

I would like to see the pictures of all the people on this forum talking shit on DJ, so I can have a clear view of what perfection looks like. Hahahaha!!!

Don't forget he's a lead guitarist in 2 fantastic rock n' roll bands! Live and let live.

So. Many. Haters.

Ok, my picture is to my left there and you can hear my guitar playing in "Nice Boys"

• Like 1

So. Many. Haters.

Ok, my picture is to my left there and you can hear my guitar playing in "Nice Boys"

BAM!

ZoSo with the answer.

So. Many. Haters. LOL, how old are you?

Not liking a musician doesn't make somebody a hater. It just means they don't like a specific musician.

People have pointed out why they don't like DJ. From his looks, fake "i'm a rock star" persona, and his apparently not being talented enough to play a lot of the required GnR solos. You obviously don't understand the definition of a hater. These posters are stating specific reasons why they don't like him.

• Like 1