Have we exaggerated how bad Dj's guitar skills are? Is he actually better than we give him credit for?

Towelie

Recording to pro tools, with enough time and money anybody can sound good. The real proof of a good or bad player is what they do in a live situation. I'm not going to write someone off who has one or two off nights but I will write someone off who makes the same *errors each night and doesn't fix things... *meaning bad intonation, accuracy, timing. I don't count changing a solo as bad, I do count changing a solo and messing up royally to be be bad though. As far as I'm concerned Robin Finck was not one of my favourite players and I was happy when he left, but he put some great solo's down on CD. I don't think Dj has the skill / ear to add additions to the Better or this I love solo's... I'd rather he stayed faithful to them. Slash is obviously a favourite of everyone here, and I don't think Dj can ad-lib a better solo than Slash so I would much rather if he just stuck to the sheet music and put 0.1% of DJ in there. When CD II comes out or whatever it's going to be called Dj will have his chance to write his own work within his limited style and he should be able to pull it off live, leave the existing work alone.

Strictly critiquing him from the 'professional musician / guitarist' stand point, he is not a very accomplished player, but he is fantastic at self promotion and many would consider him entertaining on stage (he's a little much for me, so I just watch the other guys). I think there's a very honest opinion on his work and it may be negative but it is truthful nonetheless.

He's probably better than all you turds that Bitch about him so much.

Thought this whole forum was turning into a DJ bitchin place, dj isn't as bad as most make out , it's his shit image and his emo stage clothes that are rubbish. At least dj wants to be a part of guns in the future unlike bumble who's a selfish turd

He's a terrible guitarist. Good enough for a bar cover band, not good enough to work with someone like Axl Rose.

Some people just give him too much of a kick in, he ain't that bad, since he's been in Guns I've seen them 9 times . He ain't that bad at all! But Axl has employed better in the past