The Hockey Thread

bacardimayne

Big ol' buckets of win for Tampa Bay tonight. Absolutely torched Montreal 4-1. Hell of a job by Montreal to get back in this series, and I'm sad that we can't push the start of the WCF a bit later, but a damn fine display of hockey all around.

Tomorrow's Rangers-Caps came ought to be an absolute wonder as well.

The Capitals are now 6-5 all-time in series they take a 3-1 lead in. Every other team in NHL history is a combined 203-16.

Man, fuck this. Even my playoff bandwagon team finds a way to reach a level of pathetic comparable to the Oilers.

Hopefully I won't need them now that my actual team might be good.

Fuck the Rags. Fuck the Ducks and fuck the Hawks. Go TBL.

Edited by bacardimayne

I'm downright fucking deliriously tired after that Hawks-Ducks game last night, but goddamn if I'm not thrilled with the outcome. Back to Chicago, and it's a best 3 out of 5 series where we have home ice. Like my odds to see another Stanley Cup final in our future.

Also, you can call off the Babcock watch. Toronto and St. Louis are the only teams left in the mix, and MLSE has a jet landing in Detroit this afternoon and taking off minutes later.

http://theleafsnation.com/2015/5/20/buffalo-and-detroit-out-on-babcock-mlse-private-jet-making-quick-trip-to-detroit-today

I thought he was deciding between Buffalo and Detroit?

He was. Toronto blew it up with a $20mil offer this morning and all sources are saying that it's down to Toronto and St. Louis at this point. He apparently told the Blues a couple days ago that he was out. While that could certainly change, his direction appears to be settling in at this point. This is what I expected all along, given that Babcock's old pal Shanny is running the TML show at this point.

Just made official that Toronto got him. 8 years at $50 mil or something to that effect. Sets a dangerous precedent for coach contracts.

I mean, we're not talking about Barry Trotz or Bruce Budreau here. Yeah, that's a ton of money, but you're talking about one of the all-time greatest, if not THE all-time greatest, coach in the history of hockey. I'm not sure I'd call it "dangerous" just yet.

I have never been less interested in a Stanley Cup finals than this year. I'm so tuned out that I actually watched the entire Golden State Warriors vs Houston Rockets NBA game the other night before turning it to the Blackhawks vs Ducks game. I don't even like Basketball haha. I cold care less who wins this year. Every team I would've cheered for is gone so.......

Just made official that Toronto got him. 8 years at $50 mil or something to that effect. Sets a dangerous precedent for coach contracts.

I mean, we're not talking about Barry Trotz or Bruce Budreau here. Yeah, that's a ton of money, but you're talking about one of the all-time greatest, if not THE all-time greatest, coach in the history of hockey. I'm not sure I'd call it "dangerous" just yet.

If you actually believe Mike Babcock is the all time greatest coach in the history of hockey you're nuts. He'd be hard pressed to crack the top 10 even. Sorry but that statement that if hes not one of the best he's THE best is absolutely ridiculous. Look who signed him. The idiotic Leafs. Where everyone who plays for them is an "all time great". The Oilers did WAY better hiring Todd McLellan for a fraction fo the cost. Babcock is a good coach but that is a ridiculous signing by a desperate franchise.

• Like 1

Honestly. Why care about the money? The Leafs are rich as fuck and there isn't a salary cap for coaches. He's without a doubt one of the best active coaches getting paid less than god damned Phaneuf. I think it's great that he might have set a new standard for top coaches. It's insane that some of the best coaches in the league makes as much as the third and fourth liners. Good for Babs'. If I was McLellan I would for sure wait for Babcock to sign his contract before I negotiated mine.

No wonder the Habs fan hates it.

Edited by CheapJon

If you actually believe Mike Babcock is the all time greatest coach in the history of hockey you're nuts. He'd be hard pressed to crack the top 10 even. Sorry but that statement that if hes not one of the best he's THE best is absolutely ridiculous. Look who signed him. The idiotic Leafs. Where everyone who plays for them is an "all time great". The Oilers did WAY better hiring Todd McLellan for a fraction fo the cost. Babcock is a good coach but that is a ridiculous signing by a desperate franchise.

I don't think he's the greatest, I think it's pretty hard to top Herb Brooks in that regard. But look at Babcock statistically throughout his career. He's 35th all time in years coaching, but 18th in points and with plenty of career left to climb that ranking. 4th all time in points percentage among coaches with more than 500 games under their belts. He's only failed to make the playoffs once in his 12 year career. I don't care who signed him, he's an all-time caliber coach.

McLellan is probably a better dollar-for-dollar value, I'll give you that. But he's a good deal where he's at. I wouldn't call the Babcock deal a dud just yet. I don't think it's ridiculous, and I don't think it's a sign of desperation (though I won't dispute that Shanny has his work cut out for him at MLSE...).

Honestly. Why care about the money? The Leafs are rich as fuck and there isn't a salary cap for coaches. He's without a doubt one of the best active coaches getting paid less than god damned Phaneuf. I think it's great that he might have set a new standard for top coaches. It's insane that some of the best coaches in the league makes as much as the third and fourth liners. Good for Babs'. If I was McLellan I would for sure wait for Babcock to sign his contract before I negotiated mine.

I dont hate it. I could care less. I just think the Leafs had options out there that were equal to Babock and for a fraction of the cost. The Leafs made this signing for more than hockey reasons. They needed to make a splash and they did. I have no problem with coaches getting paid but when you have other incredibly good coaches out there why break the bank for one guy? Why would I hate this as a Habs fan. The Leafs are going to fucking suck again regardless. They need to change player personal before they start to get good. Until then go ahead and throw money around for flashey hires. I don't care.

I don't think he's the greatest, I think it's pretty hard to top Herb Brooks in that regard. But look at Babcock statistically throughout his career. He's 35th all time in years coaching, but 18th in points and with plenty of career left to climb that ranking. 4th all time in points percentage among coaches with more than 500 games under their belts. He's only failed to make the playoffs once in his 12 year career. I don't care who signed him, he's an all-time caliber coach.

McLellan is probably a better dollar-for-dollar value, I'll give you that. But he's a good deal where he's at. I wouldn't call the Babcock deal a dud just yet. I don't think it's ridiculous, and I don't think it's a sign of desperation (though I won't dispute that Shanny has his work cut out for him at MLSE...).

Herb Brooks is the best coach ever? :facepalm:

I dont hate it. I could care less. I just think the Leafs had options out there that were equal to Babock and for a fraction of the cost. The Leafs made this signing for more than hockey reasons. They needed to make a splash and they did. I have no problem with coaches getting paid but when you have other incredibly good coaches out there why break the bank for one guy? Why would I hate this as a Habs fan. The Leafs are going to fucking suck again regardless. They need to change player personal before they start to get good. Until then go ahead and throw money around for flashey hires. I don't care.

Break the bank? You do know how fucking rich the leafs are, right? They're paying Nathan Horton an average of 5.3 million a year until 2020 to never play a game for them and they're doing it gladly instead of paying Clarkson for playing for them. Yes they are going to suck. that's the plan, for them to suck in the first years while rebuilding. For a guy who doesn't care, you sure have a lot of opinions.

Break the bank? You do know how fucking rich the leafs are, right? They're paying Nathan Horton an average of 5.3 million a year until 2020 to never play a game for them and they're doing it gladly instead of paying Clarkson for playing for them. Yes they are going to suck. that's the plan, for them to suck in the first years while rebuilding. For a guy who doesn't care, you sure have a lot of opinions.

No I live in Canada, grew up playing hockey my whole life, watch it numerous times a week, watch and listen to hockey talk on radio and tv and have no idea how fucking rich the Leafs are. Explain it to me please. I made a comment about what right now is the biggest story in the league. So you can STFU with this shit about "for a guy who doesn't care you have a lot of opinions" So what Im not allowed to comment on the matter at all? When I say "break the bank" it doesn't take a rocket scentist to figure out what I mean. He just signed by far the largest contract EVER for a coach. If you wanna play semantics an twist words around to create some sort of meaningless argument go ahead. You're the one who said "No wonder the Habs fan hates it" and based that comment on nothing whatsoever. I knew the Leafs were going to geta good coach, I just don't see any reason why they had to throw that much money at a guy when there were plenty of really really good guys available. The reason they did it is because it's Toronto and they wanted to make a splash. It was more than a hockey signing for them and that is obvious. I explained my opinion on it. You don't like it then tough shit.

Edited by Bono