The Hockey Thread

bacardimayne

Welp, that was a tough one for the Habs. It's not over til it's over of course but it's an uphill battle to say the least. Given MTL's possession stats this isn't totally surprising though. TBL are the picture of scoring depth, tough to match up. Also, Therrien had his bottom 6 out there on the last shift. Anyway, WSH-TBL will be a fun conference final.

Edited by bt88

Welp, that was a tough one for the Habs. It's not over til it's over of course but it's an uphill battle to say the least. Given MTL's possession stats this isn't totally surprising though. TBL are the picture of scoring depth, tough to match up. Also, Therrien had his bottom 6 out there on the last shift. Anyway, WSH-TBL will be a fun conference final.

They've really caught fire at the right time. I feel bad for Price, honestly. Hard to imagine he wins the Hart after this collapse - he still ought to get the Vezina, but it's hard to see a playoff collapse like this still end up with the MVP. 2.35 GAA when the cookies are on the table just don't cut it.

If I had to guess right now, I'd have to say Hawks beat the Ducks for the West, Bolts beat the Caps for the East, and who fuckin' knows what happens from there?

They've really caught fire at the right time. I feel bad for Price, honestly. Hard to imagine he wins the Hart after this collapse - he still ought to get the Vezina, but it's hard to see a playoff collapse like this still end up with the MVP. 2.35 GAA when the cookies are on the table just don't cut it.

If I had to guess right now, I'd have to say Hawks beat the Ducks for the West, Bolts beat the Caps for the East, and who fuckin' knows what happens from there?

Is it not like baseball where they vote right when the season ends? MVP is for the season only so I don't think this will or should take him out of the race. The language on the trophy reads "most valuable to his team." I look at that as "if the team lost this guy, how much would it have impacted them?" Without Price I'm not sure the Habs even make the playoffs. Though you could prob say that about Ovechkin too, and much like the Cy Young/MVP, people tend to default to the "goalies/pitchers have their own award, they shouldnt get the MVP." I dont agree with that, but it happens a lot. Though goalies winning the Hart is more frequent than pitchers winning the MVP, at least recently. Jose Theodore anyone? (also: Hasek totally deserved the back to back Harts he got. Guy was a legend)

So maybe you're right, maybe he doesnt and shouldnt win it. Tough call.

Ah fair enough. I thought NHL awards took the playoffs into account. My mistake.

Regardless, I'm not even sure Price was the most valuable goalie. I think it's pretty clear that Devin Dubnyk gets that title. That said, Price went wire-to-wire, while Dubnyk got traded and caught fire midway through. That said, we can speculate where the Habs would have been without Price. Dubnyk? We know. The Wild would have been dead last, and they were.

It's hard to see anyone but the Hawks as the favorites right now. They just demolished the hottest team in hockey over the last few months, and dispatched with 2 Vezina finalists. With the Rangers on the ropes, I have no idea who could take the Hawks down a peg. Fingers crossed that out 5th conference final appearance in 7 years brings us our 3rd cup in 5!

Me wanting a "new" winner, I'm rooting for the Ducks in the west. CHI will be hard to beat though.

If I were from anywhere else, I would totally agree with you. But here in Chicago? Nope. No need for new winners.

And hey, we have plenty of players on our team who haven't won cups yet, so you'll get some new winners: Darling, Terevainen, Vermette :D

Me wanting a "new" winner, I'm rooting for the Ducks in the west. CHI will be hard to beat though.

If I were from anywhere else, I would totally agree with you. But here in Chicago? Nope. No need for new winners.

And hey, we have plenty of players on our team who haven't won cups yet, so you'll get some new winners: Darling, Terevainen, Vermette :D

I don't care about those guys. Kimmo Timonen I'd be alright with :P

I don't care about those guys. Kimmo Timonen I'd be alright with :P

I'm pulling for him, too. I did my undergrad work in Philly and became a bit of a Flyers fan while there (2010 was hard - was afraid my parents would throw me out when I came home with my Richards t-shirt :P). Always did like Timonen. He's dogshit now, but he's had a great career and deserves to go out with a Cup on his resume.

Habs will win game 5 tomorrow night but lose game 6 in Tampa. I can't believe Calgary is actually hanging with the Ducks so far. Capitals better finish off the Rangers and not let them comeback. Surprised the Hawks swept the Wild.

Ok now if and it's a HUGE IF the Habs win game 6 in Tampa Bay would anyone bet against Montreal in MOntreal in game 7??? Man I hope they win game 6. The Bell Centre will explode if the Habs can get back there.

Ok now if and it's a HUGE IF the Habs win game 6 in Tampa Bay would anyone bet against Montreal in MOntreal in game 7??? Man I hope they win game 6. The Bell Centre will explode if the Habs can get back there.

Hard to imagine MTL clawing back, getting home for game 7, and fucking it up there. That said, it's equally hard to imagine TB fucking it up in TB in game 6. Gonna be a hell of a way to end the series either way.

That said, I'm rooting for every game 7 I can get right now, let the Hawks get some rest before Anaheim and the Finals if we get there.

Hard to imagine MTL clawing back, getting home for game 7, and fucking it up there. That said, it's equally hard to imagine TB fucking it up in TB in game 6. Gonna be a hell of a way to end the series either way.

That said, I'm rooting for every game 7 I can get right now, let the Hawks get some rest before Anaheim and the Finals if we get there.

I agree. Beating Tampa in game 6 is a huge task. Having said that Montreal has outplayed Tampa Bay almost the entire series. Aside from game 2 Montreal has carried the play, out shot Tampa Bay BUT have hit a ton of posts in this series. The series could easily have been over by now in MOntreal's favour but that's not the way life works. I have confidence Montreal can win game 6 if they keep playing the way they have been but reality is they forced a game 6 for the first time ever last night after falling down 0-3 in a series. Thy'd have to make more franchise history on Tuesday by beating Tampa Bay. Anything is possible I guess.