The Hockey Thread

bacardimayne

Hamburglar was the only reason Ottawa made the playoffs in the first place (not that Anderson played a bad tilt yesterday). Without that sparkplug, the car won't go. Ottawa were done as soon as he collapsed. That said, the sabremetrics don't favor Montreal down the stretch, so it will be interesting to see where things go from here.

Hawks did a mighty fine job of sending a message to the Perds yesterday. Hopefully they can use this to run games 4 and 5 down Nashville's throats and make this a nice quick series. I sure don't envy Quenville having to choose between Crow and Darling for game 4...

Sabermetrics and psuedo stats don't mean shit in the playoffs. If they did the LA Kings and their otherworldy puck possesion would be in the playoffs. I'm not saying the Habs aren't in tough in the next round I'm just saying relying on these stats is dumb. Montreal won last night going 0/6 on the powerplay. Statistically that shouldn't happen but it did and it has the entire series. If Montreal could ever get their powerplay going even a tiny bit they'll be really tough to beat regardless of sabremetrics or corsi reports or whatever we're using to predict outcomes.

I'm running for President of the NHL. My first order of business is to give the referees stun guns so they can assert their authority. Next up, overtimes will be 5 minutes of 5 on 5, then 5 minutes of 4 on 4, then 5 minutes of 3 on 3, then 5 minutes of 2 on 2, then 5 minutes of 1 on 1, then 5 minutes of just the goalies going at it. If it continues past the 5 minutes of goalie vs goalie, then they just flip a coin. Home team calls it. Vote for me in the election.

Flashbacks to the Bruins series of 2013. What a goddamn game last night, and holy hell Brent Seabrook lowers that boom stick when he wants.

The big question for the Hawks if this continues: do you out Crow on the block? He makes $5mil a year, we have cap troubles on the horizon, and Darling and Raant make $1.2 combined. Crow's a good goalie, and he deserves to start somewhere, but how do you justify benching Darling?

Flashbacks to the Bruins series of 2013. What a goddamn game last night, and holy hell Brent Seabrook lowers that boom stick when he wants.

The big question for the Hawks if this continues: do you out Crow on the block? He makes $5mil a year, we have cap troubles on the horizon, and Darling and Raant make $1.2 combined. Crow's a good goalie, and he deserves to start somewhere, but how do you justify benching Darling?

Crawford for RNH would make sense if Darling, Draisatl and McDavid pans out I guess?

I'm liking the way the red Wings vs Lghtning series is going. Gotta be careful what ya wish for but the Habs have had the Wings number all year and can't buya win vs Tampa so I'd rather face te Wings. Again though careful what ya wish for. Hoping the Habs finish off the Sens tonight.

that Blackhawks vs Predators game last night was great. Awesome goaltending.

Crawford for RNH would make sense if Darling, Draisatl and McDavid pans out I guess?

Oilers will not trade RNH for Crawford.

I'm liking the way the red Wings vs Lghtning series is going. Gotta be careful what ya wish for but the Habs have had the Wings number all year and can't buya win vs Tampa so I'd rather face te Wings. Again though careful what ya wish for. Hoping the Habs finish off the Sens tonight.

that Blackhawks vs Predators game last night was great. Awesome goaltending.

Truthfact. We'll get a big return for him, no doubt, but a team in rebuild mode isn't going to give up a cornerstone. More likely trade him for a couple early-round picks or a superstar from a team just starting a rebuild. Maybe Toronto of Philly, teams that have long suffered through goalie troubles and desperately need kicks in the ass. All of this is, of course, academic depending on how Darling plays for the rest of the playoffs, but if the Hawks go deep in this thing, I could see Darling's name on the ol' Maple Leaf Gardens trophy come June. It's a long way away, but if Darling holds the crease for a full run it'll be a really tough choice.

What an absolute embarrassment of riches, eh? "There's no room on our team for Corey Crawford" is a sentence that just shouldn't ever be said.

Probably not but there's been way worse trades and the oilers management are the worst in the league.

Probably not but there's been way worse trades and the oilers management are the worst in the league.

hahaThat is true. This is the organization that traded Gretzky.

Those overtime rules are nonsense, but they're still better hockey than the goddamn shootout...

How 'bout those Wild, huh? Yet another piece of evidence as to why I think I'd rather see the Blues in round two...

I fucking hate the shootout. Never liked it, hated it from the second they brought it in. It's not nearly as exciting as overtime and all you gotta do is watch the players and fans alike react to a shootout win or lose compared to an overtime win or lose. There's no comparison. I love the way overtime works in the playoffs. For regular season I'd liek to see them keep the 5 minutes of 4 on 4 and if still tied go to 5 more mintes of 3 on 3. If it's still tied so bet it. I've been saying this since the day they iintroduced th shitty shootout. Teams would get 2 points for a win, 1 point for a tie, 0 points for a loss regardless of whether they lose in regulation time or overtime. I can't stand the loser point.

hahaThat is true. This is the organization that traded Gretzky.

Those overtime rules are nonsense, but they're still better hockey than the goddamn shootout...

How 'bout those Wild, huh? Yet another piece of evidence as to why I think I'd rather see the Blues in round two...

I fucking hate the shootout. Never liked it, hated it from the second they brought it in. It's not nearly as exciting as overtime and all you gotta do is watch the players and fans alike react to a shootout win or lose compared to an overtime win or lose. There's no comparison. I love the way overtime works in the playoffs. For regular season I'd liek to see them keep the 5 minutes of 4 on 4 and if still tied go to 5 more mintes of 3 on 3. If it's still tied so bet it. I've been saying this since the day they iintroduced th shitty shootout. Teams would get 2 points for a win, 1 point for a tie, 0 points for a loss regardless of whether they lose in regulation time or overtime. I can't stand the loser point.

1) ...but there's speculation that Gretzky might be back in EDM soon, albeit in a suit and tie, so there's that little taste of redemption out there?

2) Fuck the shootout good and hard. Loser points are dumb. Games should just be worth two points, no consolation prize third point. The shootout is the hockey equivalent of replacing extra innings with a goddamn home run derby. It's a travesty and an embarrassment, just like the commissioner who came up with it.

Great win for the Blues last night. 6-1 over Minnesota. Did not see that coming. Hopefully they've found their game. This looks like its going 7 games.

That's my hope! I'd like the Hawks to close out Nashville tonight and rust up while Minny and the Blues wear each other out.

Goodbye Winnipeg. Better luck next year :(

Too bad. Would have liked to see them win at least 1 at home. MTS Center was insane either way though. Such a sight. Less than 1000 tickets per game available to the public. Wish I could have snagged a pair.

Blackhawks coming undone here in the 3rd, 3 rapid fire goals and we're down 4-1. Corey Crawford might have just gotten his crease back, and will now have the chance to win this series at home. Glad for him - if Darling had marched to the finish unscathed, odds are ol' Crow would be finding a new city to live in this offseason.

THE KEVIN LOWE ERA IS OVER - PETER CHIARELLI NAMED GM AND PRESIDENT OF HOCKEY OPS FOR THE OILERS

YESSSSSS

Enjoy having the architect of the Boychuk trade running your squad...

Hawks are sticking with Big Scottie D tomorrow night. I am positively stunned. If last night's 3rd Period collapse plus the chance to get Crow back in net at home isn't enough to get Crow his crease back, you almost have to wonder what Bowman and co. are whispering in Q's ear. Bacardi, get Chiarelli in the phone, we may have a goalie for you...