Van Halen Live Album & 2015 Tour Discussion

RussTCB

The live album is decent. Not amazing, but not awful either. There's some tracks that are really great...and others that are pretty awful. When they're rough, Dave is usually the weak link. It's just like, at times I just want to yell at him to sing the fucking song the way he did originally. He's particularly bad about doing his own thing on Dance The Night Away and Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love. Besides Dave, there's moments when the band sounds loose - borderline falling apart. She's The Woman springs to mind. I can't say I have any problems with the mix listening to it on my car stereo, it's sounds quite a bit beefier than it did listening to the YouTube previews on my Mac.

I can help but feel they would've been better releasing a 2012 show. There were only a handful of gigs in 2013, and it shows that the band was not in the same shape they were in the middle of the ADKOT tour in 2012.

In general, I don't like live albums but figured I'd give this one a spin. My lord, it's brutal. I like that it's warts and all and prefer that to a "live" album with studio touch ups. But fucking hell, this just might be the worst live album I've ever heard.

I gotta go back to my rule of not listening to live albums. :shrugs:

Edited by Sixes
  • Like 1

DLR sounds OK but what ruins it for me is that he is all over the place.

If he just stuck to the song instead of wandering off with the ad lib warbling I could enjoy it a lot more than I do...I listen to these tracks and think "not a fuck was given" on behalf of Dave.

• Like 1

The problem with a lot of his ad-libbing is that he tends to overcook or undercook a lot of it and it comes out way off key and barely resembling the song. I get that he can't do a lot of his high screams anymore and that's fine, but that's all the more reason to just sing the song correctly.

• Like 2

Dave has to be the most disappointing live performer in rock, sounding absolutely nothing like the studio albums. Dude just gets on stage to dance and try to ad lib in the place of actual lyrics.

To be fair, would a nugnr live album be any better? I think not. Which I haven't received my copy yet, so I haven't heard the entire album. But I have watched plenty of nugnr live recordings, and while Dave might be the weak link here, at least the rest of the band is pretty on point. While "the band" that is nugnr, are usually pretty on point, except for Ashba on occasion, Axl tends to be the weakest link as well. But VH gets extra credit for actually being the band that wrote these songs, minus the worst original member of course...

Dave has to be the most disappointing live performer in rock, sounding absolutely nothing like the studio albums. Dude just gets on stage to dance and try to ad lib in the place of actual lyrics.

To be fair, would a nugnr live album be any better? I think not. Which I haven't received my copy yet, so I haven't heard the entire album. But I have watched plenty of nugnr live recordings, and while Dave might be the weak link here, at least the rest of the band is pretty on point. While "the band" that is nugnr, are usually pretty on point, except for Ashba on occasion, Axl tends to be the weakest link as well. But VH gets extra credit for actually being the band that wrote these songs, minus the worst original member of course...

Worst original member? Michael Anthony's backing vocals were a very large part of the Van Halen sound and it's weird to hear the band without him. If anyone is disposable it's Alex.

Worst original member? Michael Anthony's backing vocals were a very large part of the Van Halen sound and it's weird to hear the band without him. If anyone is disposable it's Alex.

What??? Alex Van Halen is one of the best rock drummers on the planet, FAR better than any drummer gnr has ever had, Brain included. Michael Anthony does have great backing vocals, I agree there. But his actual bass playing is about as generic as it gets. Hell Alex's drum intro to Hot For Teacher is one of the most recognizable drum moments in rock history, far more recognizable than anything Michael Anthony has ever played.

What??? Alex Van Halen is one of the best rock drummers on the planet, FAR better than any drummer gnr has ever had, Brain included. Michael Anthony does have great backing vocals, I agree there. But his actual bass playing is about as generic as it gets. Hell Alex's drum intro to Hot For Teacher is one of the most recognizable drum moments in rock history, far more recognizable than anything Michael Anthony has ever played.

People love to shit on Wolfgang, but the fact is he's a better bassist than Michael Anthony could ever dream of being.

• Like 1

People love to shit on Wolfgang, but the fact is he's a better bassist than Michael Anthony could ever dream of being.
AGreed. Also his backing vocals are also pretty damn good. Not as good as Michael Anthony, no. But overall I don't mind him in the band because he has far more potential than MA could ever dream of. Besides perhaps Eddie will let him write a song on the next album, MA literally got carried by EVH his whole career. They split those song writing credits equally among the 4, which was really nice on Eddies part IMO.

Also not to beat on the guy, because I really do like him, But his bass solos were fucking tedious. People Shit on Wolfie for not taking one, but I'd rather he not take one than do that bs MA used to do...

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

It sure as shit wouldn't be Van Halen without Alex behind the kit, I agree that if anyone was replaceable it's Michael Anthony- as you guys have said, it's his BV's that are missed.

Like Bohnam, Tommy Lee or Steven Adler, Alex's sound is his own and take those guys out of their respective groups and it really isn't the same.

• Like 2

Wolfgang really impressed me on the 2012 tour. I didn't see 2007 in person but it seems to me like he really stepped up to the plate in the years in between. I think most would agree that Michael Anthony was a better singer than bass player but Wolfgang handles the vocals pretty well.

Wolfgang really impressed me on the 2012 tour. I didn't see 2007 in person but it seems to me like he really stepped up to the plate in the years in between. I think most would agree that Michael Anthony was a better singer than bass player but Wolfgang handles the vocals pretty well.

Plus when you think about the kids pedigree, you really have to stop and think. He is the son of Edward Van Halen and nephew of Alex Van Halen. He could potentially be something brilliant all on his own. I'm not saying he will be, but he "could" be. Hell Jan Van Halen was the original musician in the family, all the boys owe everything to him, and they both acknowledge that. So these Van Halens have some serious music chops running through their blood. Plus when you think about Wolfies mom, she is a star in her own right, and pretty damn hot to this day if I do say so myself. So the pedigree this kid was given is something folks like us could only dream of. Which again, I'm not saying he will live up to any potential, But I do applaud the route he has taken. Play bass in VH, the least focused on member. Play bass in Trimontis side project band, again another small supporting role. These steps have allowed him to get his feet wet and see if he can handle the big time. Unlike so many other famous kids who jump straight to solo album. He has taken the right moves IMO, learn your craft, play gigs, spend some time on the road, then do a solo album.

Out of any showbiz kid I can think of, I gotta say Wolfie has done it right IMO. He has been a traveling musician since 2007, and really learned the ropes. Now he is getting ready for his first solo album. Will it be as groundbreaking as VH 1 was? No of course not. But I do think it will show that the kid has some real talent. The more I think about it, the more this kid sorta reminds me of Julian Lennon. Never will be as great as his dad, but still a great musician in his own right.

Wolfgang's also seen his father in really bad shape and I think Valerie's brothers kick his ass around a bit, he doesn't seem like a trust fund kid type. He could probably throw his dad around like a rag doll. Dave...probably not. He's in excellent shape for his age and you could put him in a ring with Duff and they'd kick the shit out of each other, but Dave's got 20 years on Duff as far as training goes (they were both trained by the same guy).

I think the lip syncing controversy made Wolfgang work on his vocals more.

Edited by dalsh327

Wait. What? What did I miss? Either I didn't know or forgot about this somehow.

There was a rumor that they took a bunch of tapes from past tours and soundchecks Mike sang on and Wolfgang lip synced to them on the 2007 tour.

Wait. What? What did I miss? Either I didn't know or forgot about this somehow.

There was a rumor that they took a bunch of tapes from past tours and soundchecks Mike sang on and Wolfgang lip synced to them on the 2007 tour.

Oh damn. I don't think I ever heard that. Bummer if true.

I still don't believe that personally.

Me either. I think it was fans not wanting to give Wolfie proper credit. This live album really shows that it is indeed Wolfie singing. He sounds different than MA, not bad, not better either, just different. If MA is a 10 in BV, than I would give Wolfie a solid 8, the kid sings better than people give him credit for, a Hell of a lot better than his dad does for sure.

• Like 2