Van Halen Live Album & 2015 Tour Discussion

RussTCB

Holy crap.

DLR fans are even more delusional than Axl fans.

But the band....they still sound tight as can be. I think I'd rather hear just an instrumental concert. The dude from Steel Panther does (and sounds better) DLR better than DLR does.

Agreed. The Kimmel and Ellen performances are about as bad a performance I've ever heard from a singer. Absolutely horrific. If that's supposed to sell tickets, fuck me.

The difference is that Dave fans can all acknowledge that he's always been hit or miss live and that most of the recent performances (including the live album) are terrible on his part. Kimmel was no exception, although Hot For Teacher was certainly passable. If you've listened to any Jump from the past few years you'll see why his vocals on the Ellen one are a huge improvement.

Thanks for the explanation.

Makes more sense now.

Because holy sh*t, that was awful. Not only did he look like a complete tool with the way he was smiling and dancing, but he sounded horrible.

I saw Dave live during his solo days. I actually flew about 1000 miles just to mainly see his concert. He was pretty awesome - but this must have been 20 years ago.

BUT I will say - again - that the band sounded amazing.

I know what it probably looked like coming in and seeing some praise for Dave, but believe me the whole thread up until this point has been us bitching about Dave. :lol:

But yeah, the band is something else. Ed has never looked more passionate. They're what makes the whole thing worthwhile, and it helps make Dave tolerable to hear such good music backing him up.

Holy crap.

DLR fans are even more delusional than Axl fans.

But the band....they still sound tight as can be. I think I'd rather hear just an instrumental concert. The dude from Steel Panther does (and sounds better) DLR better than DLR does.

Agreed. The Kimmel and Ellen performances are about as bad a performance I've ever heard from a singer. Absolutely horrific. If that's supposed to sell tickets, fuck me.

The difference is that Dave fans can all acknowledge that he's always been hit or miss live and that most of the recent performances (including the live album) are terrible on his part. Kimmel was no exception, although Hot For Teacher was certainly passable. If you've listened to any Jump from the past few years you'll see why his vocals on the Ellen one are a huge improvement.

Thanks for the explanation.

Makes more sense now.

Because holy sh*t, that was awful. Not only did he look like a complete tool with the way he was smiling and dancing, but he sounded horrible.

I saw Dave live during his solo days. I actually flew about 1000 miles just to mainly see his concert. He was pretty awesome - but this must have been 20 years ago.

BUT I will say - again - that the band sounded amazing.

I know what it probably looked like coming in and seeing some praise for Dave, but believe me the whole thread up until this point has been us bitching about Dave. :lol:

But yeah, the band is something else. Ed has never looked more passionate. They're what makes the whole thing worthwhile, and it helps make Dave tolerable to hear such good music backing him up.

Seriously, I've never seen Ed look just so...absolutely happy to be playing. You can tell on Kimmel he's so into it right now. And he's clearly still clean and looking good too - Ed is stealing the show right now.

Just about to watch Ellen.

The new live album release was Ed's third idea...he had 2 other plans in mind before settling on the Tokyo Dome release..

http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2015-04-03/van-halen-gave-up-on-demo-bootleg-release-plans

Either of the first two ideas would've been much more exciting. The thing I don't get is when he said "we didn't have time for a new studio album" - why did anything need to be released at all? Is the live album just an excuse to tour?

As for the Ellen performance, I thought it was very good, by Dave's standards. The band was on fire though, especially Eddie. I loved all those extra harmonics, it really added a lot to the song and is never heard him do it before.

The new live album release was Ed's third idea...he had 2 other plans in mind before settling on the Tokyo Dome release..

http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2015-04-03/van-halen-gave-up-on-demo-bootleg-release-plans

Either of the first two ideas would've been much more exciting. The thing I don't get is when he said "we didn't have time for a new studio album" - why did anything need to be released at all? Is the live album just an excuse to tour?

As for the Ellen performance, I thought it was very good, by Dave's standards. The band was on fire though, especially Eddie. I loved all those extra harmonics, it really added a lot to the song and is never heard him do it before.

It's probably the impetus for a tour. I always like it when a band releases something before touring, regardless of what it is. The Stones always release something before a tour, whether it's a new album, a new collection with some new songs, etc.

Yeah, it sounds like they just wanted something out to tour behind rather than tour for the sake of touring.

Check out the Toronto 1995 performance of Jump. I'm on mobile or I'd post the link. Eddie does some cool harmonic stuff there too. Musically, that one was always my favourite because I haven't heard Ed match it since, but Ellen might just top it.

Dreams from that same show is also amazing for the same reason. Tons of cool harmonics and extra fills from Ed that bring the song to a whole new level.

I'll check out that Toronto gig after work.

I was listening to the recording from the first time I saw them in 2007, and I can't believe the difference in Dave. He wasn't perfect, but he was at least actually singing the songs back then. The real disappointing thing to me is that, since the reunion the band has gotten better with every tour, while Dave has gotten worse with every tour. If we had the 2015 band with the 2007 Dave, it would be unbelievable.

• Like 1

The Ellen performance of Jump damn near brought a tears to my eyes. Dave can sound good when he wants to. It just goes to show, when he actually sings the songs like he wrote them, they can sound pretty damn good. He just loves to make up his own little parts all the time, he must think he is really being creative or something. The rest of the band doesn't seem to mind though...

If only this Jump was on The live record. Speaking of which, I don't mind keeping it 100% untouched, but I wish they would have taken songs from multiple shows then. Have it be the best versions of each song from the whole tour, it would have made for a better album IMO.

The Ellen performance of Jump damn near brought a tears to my eyes. Dave can sound good when he wants to. It just goes to show, when he actually sings the songs like he wrote them, they can sound pretty damn good. He just loves to make up his own little parts all the time, he must think he is really being creative or something. The rest of the band doesn't seem to mind though...

If only this Jump was on The live record. Speaking of which, I don't mind keeping it 100% untouched, but I wish they would have taken songs from multiple shows then. Have it be the best versions of each song from the whole tour, it would have made for a better album IMO.

Plus they could've had the rest of the songs played on the tour but not at the Tokyo gig - Blood And Fire, The Trouble With Never, The Full Bug, Girl Gine Bad, etc.

That's a shame they didn't want to do anything archival. I'm not exactly surprised.

Maybe they have a 10 year deal and waiting until near the end to negotiate a new contract (maybe this was Azoff behind it) but ADKOT didn't exactly do gangbusters in sales to be that excited to go back to the studio.

Saw the performance on Kimmell on Tuesday night.

Dave basically talks his way through the songs now. he's still amazing to watch, but his voice is shot.

I always loved the little things he would say during the VH songs and when they performed Hot for Teacher, all he said was how we doing? I think those parts were so cool in that song.

Anyway, I saw VH a few years ago and even though Dave was pretty cool up there, he can't sing anymore. I think he's worse than Vince Neil and that's bad.

Eddie and Alex are the heart and soul of VH. If they ever release a new cd, Dave will have to take singing lessons to keep up.

• Like 1

Saw the performance on Kimmell on Tuesday night.

Dave basically talks his way through the songs now. he's still amazing to watch, but his voice is shot.

I always loved the little things he would say during the VH songs and when they performed Hot for Teacher, all he said was how we doing? I think those parts were so cool in that song.

Anyway, I saw VH a few years ago and even though Dave was pretty cool up there, he can't sing anymore. I think he's worse than Vince Neil and that's bad.

Eddie and Alex are the heart and soul of VH. If they ever release a new cd, Dave will have to take singing lessons to keep up.

It's not that Dave can't sing; it's that he chooses not to. That's why this whole thing is frustrating.

The band sounds so fucking good on Unchained during the Kimmel performance. Powerful as fuck.

Ed seems to be in much better shape now compared to 2012 (although he ripped that tour, too)

Where's there a video of Unchained from Kimmel?

I got my London tickets fine. Bethel was a shit show, it's totally sold out already except for, get this, the entire front half of the amphitheater which is all VIP package seats. Not pulling up anything decent for any other gig I can do. Turns out though that some gigs do have a GA pit after all, so maybe I'll just cave in and get a pit ticket to another gig secondhand, since London was so cheap.

I got my London tickets fine. Bethel was a shit show, it's totally sold out already except for, get this, the entire front half of the amphitheater which is all VIP package seats. Not pulling up anything decent for any other gig I can do. Turns out though that some gigs do have a GA pit after all, so maybe I'll just cave in and get a pit ticket to another gig secondhand, since London was so cheap.

The whole VIP thing drives me nuts lately because Live Nation/Ticketmaster goes way overboard with how many seats are reserved. It always looks like there's still lots of great seats until you see the price tier. I've seen closer to the show where some VIP seats get "demoted" to the normal price tier to sell them but so many shouldn't be set in the first place. I realize for Van Halen it's half and half - the band VIP and the Live Nation VIP - but still, it's overkill.

I checked Toronto and there still plenty normal tier tickets even as close as the 200 section. I'm just not willing to spend $220 per ticket considering I paid far less for London.

• Like 1

Supposedly as they say, but I don't buy into that idea. Tickets are still very expensive for most of the dates and there's tons of shows. Somehow a band like AC/DC can do only 14 or so shows across North America without any VIP or perks and still only charge $130 for the closest tiered seats/pit.

• Like 1

The "VIP" tickets were supposedly a way to make shows affordable for everyone else. I've seen them up close in the Van Hagar days and Dave solo when Ray Luzier was his drummer (who's now in Korn, I'm sure Axl had him on the drummer shortlist).

Which is fine if they want to do some VIP tickets, but half a venue's worth? That's overkill big time.