Van Halen Live Album & 2015 Tour Discussion

RussTCB

The "VIP" tickets were supposedly a way to make shows affordable for everyone else. I've seen them up close in the Van Hagar days and Dave solo when Ray Luzier was his drummer (who's now in Korn, I'm sure Axl had him on the drummer shortlist).

Which is fine if they want to do some VIP tickets, but half a venue's worth? That's overkill big time.

Azoff was the one who concocted it when he took Ticketmaster over.

What was going on with She's The Woman on the new album? It might as well have been an instrumental. I'm amazed they didn't cut it. That's probably the worst song on there save for Dave's creative new mumbling on I'll Wait, but at least he tried to sing that one. That was a shock because I'll Wait was usually his best song in 2012. All that said, the album does make for an enjoyable listen, Dave aside.

Chinatown is worse than She's The Woman. Both are horrid though.

True, but I expected Chinatown to be that bad so I was less surprised. Even the band sounds sloppy on this release though. It definitely should have been a 2012 show.

Yes, some songs could have been tighter, that's for sure. Somebody get me a doctor has a couple of moments when I thought the band might fall apart on it. But overall the band was great, I can't rag on them. They really got better as the show went on, Which tends to be the case anyways, when playing live. Which all the examples of the band having trouble was all within the first half of the show, the 2nd half is a different story.

But these examples are why they should have picked songs from the entire tour. Obviously they recorded every show, so why not have it be the best performances of each song? That's my biggest problem with this album. I really like that Its a true live album, But they really should of made some better decisions. I'd rather have a quality release that is from the whole tour, as opposed to just one show with some less than stellar moments.

True, but I expected Chinatown to be that bad so I was less surprised. Even the band sounds sloppy on this release though. It definitely should have been a 2012 show.
Yes, some songs could have been tighter, that's for sure. Somebody get me a doctor has a couple of moments when I thought the band might fall apart on it. But overall the band was great, I can't rag on them. They really got better as the show went on, Which tends to be the case anyways, when playing live. Which all the examples of the band having trouble was all within the first half of the show, the 2nd half is a different story.

But these examples are why they should have picked songs from the entire tour. Obviously they recorded every show, so why not have it be the best performances of each song? That's my biggest problem with this album. I really like that Its a true live album, But they really should of made some better decisions. I'd rather have a quality release that is from the whole tour, as opposed to just one show with some less than stellar moments.

I agree. Find the best performances of each song and make a consistent release. Unfortunately for Dave the stellar moments were few and far in between on this show. He was more consistent in 2012 as he got into the groove. The best song is probably I'm The One. Not only does he mostly sing it but he manages to capture the right feel. It proves he can still sound like old Dave when he wants. If it weren't for the completely botched lyrics I'll Wait would be okay because his tonality is good for the most part. Outside of those, it's amazing Dave picked this show himself. It probably had more to do with it being Tokyo than anything.

• Like 1

I agree. Find the best performances of each song and make a consistent release. Unfortunately for Dave the stellar moments were few and far in between on this show. He was more consistent in 2012 as he got into the groove. The best song is probably I'm The One. Not only does he mostly sing it but he manages to capture the right feel. It proves he can still sound like old Dave when he wants. If it weren't for the completely botched lyrics I'll Wait would be okay because his tonality is good for the most part. Outside of those, it's amazing Dave picked this show himself. It probably had more to do with it being Tokyo than anything.

That was my first thought when Eddie said they left the decision up to Dave entirely.

I gotta be honest and say that I don't think the album is anywhere near as bad as you guys are claiming.

The band sounds fine. They weren't as tight as 2012, but that's a minor issue considering it was one of only a few 2013 dates. The band alone makes the album an enjoyable listen. That said, I doubt it's an album I'll return to. The problem is definitely Dave. As much as it's "Dave being Dave," he's way off more than he's on and far less consistent than 2012. I can't imagine showing She's The Woman or Chinatown to a casual fan or friend and having them say Dave sounds good. There's no hiding how bad he is on those. I'm The One is his best like I said before, and Unchained and Romeo Delight are decent too, but then Panama and Jump leave me cringing and scratching my head.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...