Van Halen Live Album & 2015 Tour Discussion

RussTCB

It does sort of feel like the last hurrah for Dave doesn't it? It just doesn't seem like they really all want to work together anymore. In Eddie's defense, I have been watching a lot of recent Roth interviews and he does talk about all the rap and dance music he has been listening to lately. So that might make it difficult to make a new album with him.

I know I'm in the vast minority here,but if it is over with Dave after this tour, I wouldn't mind them bringing Gary Cherone back. Honestly id rather see him back than Sammy. Mainly because he can sing the Dave and Sammy stuff. I prefer the Roth stuff over the Sammy stuff, but I hated how much of the Roth stuff they ignored with Sammy. Now that Dave is back, I'm glad to hear these songs that were ignored for so long, but now I miss some of the Sammy stuff. So whoever comes next I want them to be able to perform all the songs. But mainly I would like them to have a singer that can still actually perform the songs at a high level. Gary really wasn't a bad singer, he just came at a bad time.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

Really pumped for Feel Your Love Tonight, which I've always loved, as well as Dirty Movies which is one of my favourite deep cuts. I'm over the moon that Light Up The Sky opens and Pretty Woman has been dropped. I originally wasn't going to peak at the set list but I figured why not, and now it's got me pumped. I'm scared for China Town again though. :lol:

Also yeah I think Dave is done after this tour, which could be both good and bad - I just hope there's new music from Ed.

I'm still hoping for at least one more DLR VH album before they're finished. Considering how good the band sounds and how well ADKOT turned out, I really want one more taste. But I'm greedy that way. Really, the fact that we got ADKOT was a blessing in itself.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm pretty excited for Detroit in a couple weeks. Haven't watched any YouTube videos or anything, but I pretty much know what to expect. Still very stoked for the setlist itself.

I wish Detroit was, like, two days later - would've been able to do that in the same trip as AC/DC. Ain't no way I'm going to Detroit twice in four days though :lol:
  • Like 2

London gig last night! Unfortunately I ended up not being able to meet up with P5 and Zeppelin but despite getting to the venue after the opener I snagged a decent spot on Eddie's side.

The venue was really cool. I always love the outdoor atmosphere and the layout of the racetrack was pretty forgiving. Even people who opted to sit off to the side in lawn chairs had a decent overall view of things but it was nice to be close and have a great view of Ed for the whole show.

The band was spot on. Alex flubbed I'll Wait in a couple spots and Hot For Teacher was a tad sloppy overall from the guys but beyond those minor things they were better than 2012. Ed is improvising more again and I love it. Easily the best playing of his career, or at least his best from 2007 onwards (let's pretend 2004 didn't happen).

Wolf is a beast on bass and his vocals are even better than 2012 (which was already an improvement from 2007). Together him and Ed perfectly harmonized and as a result Mikey's vocals weren't missed too much. Him and Ed really stole the show.

Dave at least looks really good and still commands the stage well, but he was really off last night (even by his standards). Even Tokyo Dome was better. Granted, he bitched about in-ear monitor problems and he sounded hoarse just in his speaking voice so maybe it was an off night, but there were many spots where he didn't even try. I'll Wait was a travesty, and there was a big lack of banter in Hot For Teacher. He barely said a thing. His momentum started great but seemed to lag in the middle of the show until Ice Cream Man onwards.

Women In Love was the only true Dave vocal highlight, although the early songs were decent. Other times he seemed to intentionally sing an octave lower so I really do think he was hoarse and/or sick. Thank God for Ed and Wolf.

Top setlist too! Much better flow than 2012.

• Like 1

Awesome show in London last night. We were on the barrier a little left of center - we were shooting for Eddie's side, but things got fucked up when they opened the gates, the scanners weren't working so they had to just start tearing stubs off. Still happy with our spot though.

All in all, I'd say this was my favorite VH show I've been to. Obviously being on the barrier was a huge part of that, but the band was really good too. Granted I couldn't hear Dave too well down front, but from what I could hear he sounded about as good as he ever does (Maybe JB and Zeppelin can verify that since they were farther back?). The band was just on fire though. And that setlist - fucking perfect! Light Up The Sky was a killer opener, a whole lot better than YRGM or Unchained (Which I did like). But man, Light Up The Sky, Drop Dead Legs, Feel Your Love Tonight, Little Guitars, Dirty Movies - it was just perfect. It had a little bit of everything, and of course all the hits (Which I never tire of hearing either). Eddie's solo was great, loved that he did Spanish Fly at the beginning. Speaking of Eddie, this is by far the best he's looked and sounded at least since I've been seeing them. He pulls of the grey hair and goatee really well. And I know I say it every time I see VH, but just being there while he plays Eruption is a magical experience - in my opinion, the quintessential concert moment out of any artist. I loved that he did all those extra harmonics on Jump that he did on the Ellen performance in April ("Epic" is really the only word I can think of to describe how that extra layer sounds), and a couple other songs got the same treatment; I'll Wait springs to mind.

As for Dave...I know everyone likes to give him a lot of shit (Myself included sometimes) but the dude can put on a show. He really wowed me last night - you don't really get a sense of how hard he works the crowd if you're too far away. Even though Eddie is my favorite member of the band by a long shot, I have to admit that I found myself watching Dave more of the show. And he's really in good shape; he opened his shirt about a third of the way through the show and I was really surprised how fit he looked.

Also, we got 3 of Wolfgang's picks and a setlist :)

11229285_1166791726670190_46877546736617

I got some great pictures but I won't be able to process them until this weekend probably (Or at least tomorrow night) - in the meantime here's one from my phone I posted on Instagram:

11811585_1166793943336635_91051635975826

P.S. - Met Zeppelin last night after the gig and confirm that he is indeed a hooray for tolerance! just like the rest of us :)

Dave at least looks really good and still commands the stage well, but he was really off last night (even by his standards). Even Tokyo Dome was better. Granted, he bitched about in-ear monitor problems and he sounded hoarse just in his speaking voice so maybe it was an off night, but there were many spots where he didn't even try. I'll Wait was a travesty, and there was a big lack of banter in Hot For Teacher. He barely said a thing. His momentum started great but seemed to lag in the middle of the show until Ice Cream Man onwards.

Women In Love was the only true Dave vocal highlight, although the early songs were decent. Other times he seemed to intentionally sing an octave lower so I really do think he was hoarse and/or sick. Thank God for Ed and Wolf.

Guess I really couldn't hear Dave then if I thought he was solid :lol:

• Like 2

To be fair, even where I was he was mixed pretty low in what was otherwise a great outdoor mix but yeah, he was bad. :lol:

Like I said though, I do think he was having some genuine throat issues based on the monitor issues and hoarse voice.

That's good...I guess. I hadn't listened to any recordings from this tour yet, so I don't know how he's been sounding other nights. It was a little chilly last night, so who knows, maybe that had something to do with it even.

Dave did sound pretty hoarse at times, but still seemed fairly low in the mix from where I was standing. So, he was a bit tough to hear and with Dave being Dave, it made it a little extra difficult at times :lol:

What else can be said about the band? I was honestly floored with how well the VH boys played and sang backup vocals, even though I had seen them already. They're just a powerhouse band for their ages. I focused a lot on Alex last night, because he brings a lot to the show that a lot of drummers don't. It's hard to describe really. The highlights for me were Feel Your Love Tonight, Dirty Movies, Women In Love, and Ed's solo.

It was a really fun evening. Glad I was able to meet P5 and co.! We'll have to meet up another time, JB :)

• Like 1

To be fair, even where I was he was mixed pretty low in what was otherwise a great outdoor mix but yeah, he was bad. :lol:

Like I said though, I do think he was having some genuine throat issues based on the monitor issues and hoarse voice.

That's good...I guess. I hadn't listened to any recordings from this tour yet, so I don't know how he's been sounding other nights. It was a little chilly last night, so who knows, maybe that had something to do with it even.

That was another thought I had. I'm sure the cold air took its toll. Ah well, it didn't stop me from enjoying the hell out of hearing the boys play.

• Like 1

I knew Drop Dead Legs had never been played before this tour, but I didn't know Dirty Movies hadn't either. Also, fun fact: In A Simple Rhyme was only played up until 1978 - never after Women And Children First was released (Before this tour, of course).

Great pics, Dan!

When you take these kinds of pics do you just shop them off to websites then, for them to use in articles etc.? Or is it more of a hobby?

Technically working as a freelance photographer. I push my stuff on social media, and everyone once in a while someone bites on my stuff and wants to use it. Doesn't happen too often with bigger bands, the notable exceptions have been Bumblefoot (That "halo" picture he uses a lot was mine), and Alice Cooper/his bandmates have used a few of my pictures. Between them and a couple other smaller artists I've been paid for my work maybe half a dozen times. The biggest offer I've ever been made for a job I had to turn down as I have no studio experience yet, but Thin Lizzy wanted me to do a studio shoot for them a few years ago.

It's somewhere between a hobby and wanting to be a career for me. I really do want to make a career out of music photography, but at the same time I'm not really actively pursuing it…yet. I still push my stuff as a freelance artist right now, but I'm honestly just enjoying my flexible schedule and being able to travel a lot right now. I get a "real" photography gig (Outside of my dream job which is being an artist's go-to photographer they drag on the road with them) and my flexibility goes out the window. But it's absolutely what I'm shooting for a few years down the road too. Also want to get my feet wet in studio photography before I try to go full time with it, since it's where a lot of the business is also.

It's frustrating too though - I'm completely self taught and no one really wants someone who hasn't been actually trained in photography. Without sounding arrogant, I know I've got the eye and the skill for it - I've been told so by numerous professional music photographers including the one I'm most inspired by. But if publications want someone that has training it doesn't really matter how good you are if you aren't trained :shrugs:

Hey Fermanager, what do you say I come on as GN'R's new photographer? :book:

After reading some of your takes it seems as if you guys are seeing completely different shows than these reviewers. I'm not even sure if it's worth a $20 Groupon ticket at the moment since I've seen every VH lineup beginning in 1995 through the first reunion tour in 07.

http://m.torontosun.com/2015/08/08/david-lee-roth-ruins-van-halens-vibe-in-toronto

TORONTO - "Hey Eddie, can you see if Sammy Hagar is still available?"

After Friday night's two-hour performance by the David Lee Roth-led Van Halen at the sold-out Molson Amphitheatre in Toronto, some may be asking that very question that I just posed.

And, really, it's a damn shame. Guitarist Eddie Van Halen has clearly got his mojo back - he's playing, sounding and looking better than he ever has - it's really a testament to a man who is focused on keeping the demons of his past in the past, and he’s clearly fallen in love with music again - you can see it on the glowing smile on his face.

No, we're definitely not referring to him. Nor his son/bassist Wolfgang (even though yours truly has a soft spot for former bassist Michael Anthony), or to trustworthy backstopper Alex Van Halen.

We're looking straight at you, Diamond Dave.

Singer Roth seems to be eyeing a career in old Las Vegas, what with all his wardrobe changes right in the middle of the show, the way he struts around in a slow-paced fashion, or how he expects a response from the crowd every time he smiles at them.

And let's be realistic. We weren't expecting the same leg kicks from yesteryear (and he thankfully left the spandex pants at home), nor were we waiting for the high-pitched "Wooooos!" and "Ohhhs!" We were, however, hoping for more than a half-assed lounge singer. And an excruciatingly bad one at that. This cannot be the same guy who made caterwauling and being a rock frontman an art form.

Roth spent a good chunk of the time talking – or sometimes mumbling -through a lot of Van Halen staples on this night, including Runnin' With the Devil, Everybody Wants Some!!, Hot For Teacher, Panama and their 1981 classic, Unchained – which was barely recognizable.

I mean, even Eddie Van Halen has admitted that Roth is the guy that fans want to see, but at least on this night, those in attendance may be rethinking that standard party line.

And any notion that Eddie Van Halen and Roth don't get along (as mentioned in the revealing EVH/Billboard interview from a few months back), was dispelled early on, with the two interacting frequently, whether it was smiling at each other while sharing the same microphone or gleefully admiring one another from the either end of the stage. Or perhaps they are both just supreme professionals, and it's no different than you and I being mildly affable with an extremely annoying co-worker.

The group is smack dab in the middle of an ambitious 40-date tour which runs into October. Given the band's tumultuous history, one wouldn't be too far off in thinking that it may not have gotten to this point. But it has.

Roth’s night wasn’t a complete disaster. He showed shades of his old voice on tracks like Ain’t Talkin’ Bout Love, Hot For Teacher and a stellar version of Little Guitars, with EVH lighting up the crowd with some sizzling guitar work and backing vocals.

Opening for VH was axeman Kenny Wayne Shepherd, whose backing band seemed bored of the proceedings, and who could blame them. Most of the tunes were just one giant set-up for his long, meandering guitar solos that left the smattering of people in attendance heading for the concession stands.

RATING: 2.5 (out of 5)

Edited by Subtle Signs

Awesome pictures! How was Dave's voice? Did he sing or talk his way through the songs?

I know Eddie and Alex still kick ass, but when I saw VH a couple of years ago, Dave just couldn't sing those hit songs anymore and he left out so much of when he would talk during the songs. I love those parts.