Van Halen Live Album & 2015 Tour Discussion

RussTCB

Overal, Axl is way better than Dave

im still glad Dave is on an official live album, but this is pretty terrible. GNRs live album from last year is a lot better imo.

Ill still go and have a good time to the show if im free since the venue is so accesable

Is Axl better than Dave? Yes, in the 80s and today. IS appetite for democracy better than this VH? No. No way in hell. I've always been a nugnr supporter, but no way in Hell can I say a band that is not the band that recorded the hits better than another band that is 3/4 original. Especially when one of the bands has EVH in it. BBF is a great guitarist, he can play like just about anyone and sound amazing, but his own style is kinda blah. While EVH on the other hand has his own unique signature style, something BBF can only dream of.

As others have said, this current line up of nugnr is like the world's greatest cover band that is fronted by old Axl rose. Yes they are all great musicians, But are they better than VH? No fucking way, no having it, Dave and EVH actually wrote their hits...

Now if you put slash, Axl, izzy, duff, and forum on stage right now, in 2015 (sorum instead of Adler because VH has wolfie instead of MA) as soon as they kicked into the opening notes of jungle, with Axl wailing, now that would be better than this VH, yes. But anything short of that, no way man, no way.

I disagree (KIND OF)

I think NuGNR is WAY better than Van Halen as a live "band". I've seen NuGNR 3 times since 2010 and Van Halen once (the same show you were at I think). Each time GNR played, we got 2.5-3 hours, some really neat deep cuts (we bitch about the set, but there are some great gems in there), Axl kicked ass, the band kicked ass, and the productions were awesome. Yeah, the band has lost steam since 2013 and has been more auto-piloty on stage, but they still sound better than current VH in my opinion.

The Van Halen show I saw had a broken video screen (not a big deal), a set shorter than 2 hours, and Dave sounding pretty bad throughout it. Don't get me wrong, I still loved it, it was Van Halen! Eddie also kicked ass! Van Halen also only plays the same sets and is pretty auto pilotish. The band still sounds good, but Dave is noticeably awful nowadays. I'm still glad its him in the band, though, and I didn't want to see anyone else on stage. When I watch/listen to Appetite for Democracy and compare it to this latest VH release, I don't think they sound even comparable. This VH album is pretty terrible imo. I'm glad we have it, and some of the songs are decent, but its pretty disappointing.

Now, that was all based on each band's sound and performance. If you are comparing which band is better based on if they are the real band, then of course, VH wins. It is a legitimate argument, too, so I definitely see where you are coming from. I'm also a much bigger GNR fan than Van Halen. I love VH, but they wouldn't even crack my top 10, where I know you are a huge fan.

Edited by ZoSoRose

I agree that nugnr put on a Hell of a show, because they really do. But if you saw an all star band (you name the musicians) play zeppelin songs, would you think that would be better than zeppelin with plant having a bad night? Because that's the best way I can compare it. The all star band might sound better, but they still are not zeppelin. Seeing people play the songs they wrote is why I go to concerts. But having said that, the nugnr show was "better" (because yes we we're at the same shows,lol). But at VH I got to see EVH on fire that night, and he is a personal hero of mine. So for me it was a more spiritual or whatever experience seeing VH.

Yes I'm defiantly a HUGE VH fan, they are my third favorite band, which my top 5 are

1 zeppelin

2 gnr

3 VH

4 Hendrix

5 tie pink Floyd and ac\dc

But my all time favorite musicians are EVH and Jimmy Page. I love both if them, can't pick one over the other. Anytime I can see or hear them play guitar, I'm in heaven.

Axl is my favorite gnr member, but I'm more if a fan of his, while I just plain respect page and evh. Its a total different level.

I agree that nugnr put on a Hell of a show, because they really do. But if you saw an all star band (you name the musicians) play zeppelin songs, would you think that would be better than zeppelin with plant having a bad night? Because that's the best way I can compare it. The all star band might sound better, but they still are not zeppelin. Seeing people play the songs they wrote is why I go to concerts. But having said that, the nugnr show was "better" (because yes we we're at the same shows,lol). But at VH I got to see EVH on fire that night, and he is a personal hero of mine. So for me it was a more spiritual or whatever experience seeing VH.

Yes I'm defiantly a HUGE VH fan, they are my third favorite band, which my top 5 are

1 zeppelin

2 gnr

3 VH

4 Hendrix

5 tie pink Floyd and ac\dc

But my all time favorite musicians are EVH and Jimmy Page. I love both if them, can't pick one over the other. Anytime I can see or hear them play guitar, I'm in heaven.

Axl is my favorite gnr member, but I'm more if a fan of his, while I just plain respect page and evh. Its a total different level.

Yup, I totally see where you are coming from. I just LOVE GNR and have grown to love the current lineup...whatever they are... as a fan. I dig Van Halen, but not nearly on the same level so that is why I liked NuGNR's show and album more.

Zeppelin, I am even more of a freak for. If Jimmy had a lineup of musicians called "Led Zeppelin" I would love that show more than anything I've seen. Is it actually Led Zeppelin? No, but it would have meant I saw Jimmy play his music- music I love so much. Which is why I dig Axl's band so much (and I love ChiDem). I am not deluded to thinking this GNR is the same band as what existed in the past, but I still really like them live.

Which I really like CD too, a much better album than adkot by VH IMO. But the current line up isn't even the one that gave us CD. Yes most of them played on it, but they didn't write it, but they do play the Hell out of the songs. But I would be lying if I didn't think that these guys not even writing CD takes away from the live performance of those songs, let alone the old songs.

But having said that, I agree with you to a point. Axl is my favorite rock singer, so I would watch him play with anybody, even Tom, dick, and harry. But I couldn't call them guns n roses.

Which I really like CD too, a much better album than adkot by VH IMO. But the current line up isn't even the one that gave us CD. Yes most of them played on it, but they didn't write it, but they do play the Hell out of the songs. But I would be lying if I didn't think that these guys not even writing CD takes away from the live performance of those songs, let alone the old songs.

But having said that, I agree with you to a point. Axl is my favorite rock singer, so I would watch him play with anybody, even Tom, dick, and harry. But I couldn't call them guns n roses.

Yeah, I call them GNR because that's their name, but it is a different GNR compared to the band that last played in 93. People who act like its the same or compare it to other bands with different members are crazy. There's a difference between having 2-3 original guys compared to 1 original guy.

I think its funny you weren't too into ADKOT, I loved the album lol. Its probably in my top 3 Van Halen albums

He timed his little talks very well too, so I'd say that made it even better. I forget if it was Buffalo or Toronto 2012 where he literally kept going past the heavy riff starting because he was talking way too much. :lol:

As a side note I still have to pick up the new album. Tomorrow I'll probably grab it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUUO-zWo60Y

Hands down one of the best performances they've ever done of this song. Eddie is going to be on fire this tour. Those were the best embellishments he's made to the song since the Balance tour. Dave sounded pretty on too save for a couple notes.

Also, Amazon had the new album for $9.74. Sold!

• Like 1

Hands down one of the best performances they've ever done of this song. Eddie is going to be on fire this tour. Those were the best embellishments he's made to the song since the Balance tour. Dave sounded pretty on too save for a couple notes.

Agree, very good performance. Towards the end though when Ellen is talking to Dave, Dave says he "couldn't think of a better audience for the performance" and the camera cuts to the audience of WASPy middle aged white women who maybe have heard VH playing while their husbands work in the garage. :lol:

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing, and the tip about the album on Amazon. Just ordered it. Cheers!

Holy crap.

DLR fans are even more delusional than Axl fans.

But the band....they still sound tight as can be. I think I'd rather hear just an instrumental concert. The dude from Steel Panther does (and sounds better) DLR better than DLR does.

• Like 1

Holy crap.

But the band....they still sound tight as can be. I think I'd rather hear just an instrumental concert. The dude from Steel Panther does (and sounds better) DLR better than DLR does.

Agreed. The Kimmel and Ellen performances are about as bad a performance I've ever heard from a singer. Absolutely horrific. If that's supposed to sell tickets, fuck me.

Holy crap.

Agreed. The Kimmel and Ellen performances are about as bad a performance I've ever heard from a singer. Absolutely horrific. If that's supposed to sell tickets, fuck me.

The difference is that Dave fans can all acknowledge that he's always been hit or miss live and that most of the recent performances (including the live album) are terrible on his part. Kimmel was no exception, although Hot For Teacher was certainly passable. If you've listened to any Jump from the past few years you'll see why his vocals on the Ellen one are a huge improvement.

Holy crap.

The difference is that Dave fans can all acknowledge that he's always been hit or miss live and that most of the recent performances (including the live album) are terrible on his part. Kimmel was no exception, although Hot For Teacher was certainly passable. If you've listened to any Jump from the past few years you'll see why his vocals on the Ellen one are a huge improvement.

Thanks for the explanation.

Makes more sense now.

Because holy sh*t, that was awful. Not only did he look like a complete tool with the way he was smiling and dancing, but he sounded horrible.

I saw Dave live during his solo days. I actually flew about 1000 miles just to mainly see his concert. He was pretty awesome - but this must have been 20 years ago.

BUT I will say - again - that the band sounded amazing.