Van Halen Live Album & 2015 Tour Discussion

RussTCB

Another thing Wolfgang should get credit for is kicking his dad's ass to get clean and sober once and for all. Ed said in an interview a few years back that it was Wolfgang who really got him to smarten up when he relapsed again. Apparently Wolfgang also helps with some minor preparations like the set list to prevent Eddie and Dave from arguing over it.

There's no doubt Wolfgang sang live the last tour, but remember 2007-2008 was "any show could be the last show" and may have been playing it safe, esp. after Ed went into rehab and the band didn't show up for the Rock Hall induction....

Huh? Was that like a quote from one of the guys or something? :huh:

Another thing Wolfgang should get credit for is kicking his dad's ass to get clean and sober once and for all. Ed said in an interview a few years back that it was Wolfgang who really got him to smarten up when he relapsed again. Apparently Wolfgang also helps with some minor preparations like the set list to prevent Eddie and Dave from arguing over it.

Plus Wolfgang was really the driving force in pushing for ADKOT to happen apparently. He's the one that took it upon himself to mull over all the unreleased songs and see what they could work on for the album. He's been a huge part of the band behind the scenes for the last 7 or 8 years, and probably the only reason VH is still a functioning band.

• Like 1

Band sounded really good. Dave was atrocious

Yup.

Guitar sounds great. Dave sounds Axl Rose Disaster-ish.

I dare say Diamond Dave was even worse than Bridge School Axl.

I can't wait for them to perform again tonight! Bozy bozy bop!!

Overal, Axl is way better than Dave

im still glad Dave is on an official live album, but this is pretty terrible. GNRs live album from last year is a lot better imo.

Ill still go and have a good time to the show if im free since the venue is so accesable

I will maintain that Dave is not the reason I'm buying tickets in a half an hour. :lol:

You have an Amex card?

I've been meaning to get one but luckily my sister does. She's confirmed it's all GA! And I officially have my tickets.

Awesome, can't wait to get mine on Saturday. How early you gonna get there to queue?!? :awesomeface:

I will maintain that Dave is not the reason I'm buying tickets in a half an hour. :lol:

You have an Amex card?
I've been meaning to get one but luckily my sister does. She's confirmed it's all GA! And I officially have my tickets.

Awesome, can't wait to get mine on Saturday. How early you gonna get there to queue?!? :awesomeface:

I bought the $700 VIP package so I get early entry. ;)

No I'm just kidding. $206 for two tickets was pretty fair. I won't be going crazy but I'll definitely be in London early to squeeze some visiting in before heading over to the show. Luckily it sounds like it's pretty small so I'm not too worried if I'm not right up front.

Band sounded really good. Dave was atrocious

That's been the story of Van Halen concerts since time began.

I know. Saw them in 1979 for the first time. At least back then, Dave was somewhat passable.

Saw them 1 more time with Dave after that but haven't since and never will.

Edited by Sixes
  • Like 1

I listened to the whole thing today, and I have mixed feelings about it. I might be the biggest VH fan on this forum, so I admit that I am bias, so bear with me ?

You really got me, woman in live, and Romeo delight stick out in my mind as the real highlights of the show. Now, I have only heard them one time, But from that one time they sounded, dare I say better than the album versions. Especially the extra long solo in you really got me.

Hot for teacher, unchained, runnin with the devil, and a few others were quite good as well, can't think of anything bad about them.

Dance the night away, beautiful girls, I'm the one, and some others I would say were passable, not highlights But I didn't hate them.

And the cradle will rock, for whatever reason stood out to me as the biggest low point, I remember thinking, "I wish dave would just shut up so u can here the band better." as others have already stated, Panama, jump, somebody get me a doctor are not highlights either.

I loved EVH's solo, it sounded awesome. The whole band for the most part sounded pretty damn good, if not great for the majority of the show. DLR is what made the songs great, good, ok, or shitty...

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 2

I listened to the whole thing today, and I have mixed feelings about it. I might be the biggest VH fan on this forum, so I admit that I am bias, so bear with me

You really got me, woman in live, and Romeo delight stick out in my mind as the real highlights of the show. Now, I have only heard them one time, But from that one time they sounded, dare I say better than the album versions. Especially the extra long solo in you really got me.

Hot for teacher, unchained, runnin with the devil, and a few others were quite good as well, can't think of anything bad about them.

Dance the night away, beautiful girls, I'm the one, and some others I would say were passable, not highlights But I didn't hate them.

And the cradle will rock, for whatever reason stood out to me as the biggest low point, I remember thinking, "I wish dave would just shut up so u can here the band better." as others have already stated, Panama, jump, somebody get me a doctor are not highlights either.

I loved EVH's solo, it sounded awesome. The whole band for the most part sounded pretty damn good, if not great for the majority of the show. DLR is what made the songs great, good, ok, or shitty...

Women In Love is legitimately awesome on this live album. YRGM and Pretty Woman are always great, Dave doesn't fuck around on the covers for some reason.

All 3 of the ADKOT songs are awful on this. I'm giving it my second listen on my way to/from work all week (Yes, my commute is short enough it takes me almost a full work week to get through a live album on my commute :lol:), and I was like, almost angry when I listened to China Town and I could really focus on it. It is so fucking bad. And to be fair it was never good live (Thanks, Dave), but it's totally inexcusable to put a performance that bad on a live album. I don't think Dave sang a single fucking word right on that.

Overal, Axl is way better than Dave

im still glad Dave is on an official live album, but this is pretty terrible. GNRs live album from last year is a lot better imo.

Ill still go and have a good time to the show if im free since the venue is so accesable

Is Axl better than Dave? Yes, in the 80s and today. IS appetite for democracy better than this VH? No. No way in hell. I've always been a nugnr supporter, but no way in Hell can I say a band that is not the band that recorded the hits better than another band that is 3/4 original. Especially when one of the bands has EVH in it. BBF is a great guitarist, he can play like just about anyone and sound amazing, but his own style is kinda blah. While EVH on the other hand has his own unique signature style, something BBF can only dream of.

As others have said, this current line up of nugnr is like the world's greatest cover band that is fronted by old Axl rose. Yes they are all great musicians, But are they better than VH? No fucking way, not having it, Dave and EVH actually wrote their hits...

Now if you put slash, Axl, izzy, duff, and sorum on stage right now, in 2015 (sorum instead of Adler because VH has wolfie instead of MA) as soon as they kicked into the opening notes of jungle, with Axl wailing, now that would be better than this VH, yes. But anything short of that, no way man, no way.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ