Bumblefoot Says Discussing GNR Is A 'Headache,' Talks Favorite GNR Songs

He`s delusional if he thinks anyone gives a shit about his solo career. Warchild`s wrath will reach him one day.

The thing is he might already be happy with the size of career he has in the shredder appreciation community.

I don't believe for a second that a guy his age would be dumb enough to even imagine he's going to get up there with Slash after 10 years working in a cover band.

I get the impression BF wants to create and create with many different folks. Add all of that together and he's probably doing alight - especially if being in GNR paid his mortgage.

GREAT POST

I dunno, it just seems like if the guy's putting out solo material there would be at least a few questions in an interview about his solo material. That's what he's been focusing his time and energy on to put out there, not the GNR stuff.

I'd be frustrated, too.

GREAT POST

Let's see if I understand the situation here....an ex Guns guitar player wants to do interviews about his new solo album but all the interviewer wants to talk about is his time in Guns and what happened to his band with Scott Weiland?

Hey Bumble welcome to Slash's world! :lol:

GREAT POST, hit the nail on the head.

Posts that have little to do with the topic that are meant for conversation between members should be left to private message. No need to air grievances in public when a PM is better suited for the job.

Thanks!

Hello everyone.

Once again, this is Mke Mazzarone from AlternativeNation. I will do what I can to explain what happened. To those who have said that I knew GNR questions weren't allowed, that couldn't be further from the truth. When I booked this interview, I was never given a full fledged anything regarding topics being "off limits". I have also spoke to BBF's PR, numerous times, he had the chance, numerous times to explain to me that GNR questions were "off limits" and he failed to do so. I also, was never given the album by the PR and any further follow-up in an attempt to be able to listen to it was swiftly ignored. Once again, I do ask, how can I ask Bumblefoot about his new album, in any context when I was never given it? It's just not possible.

We asked a few soft ball questions, we asked about a potential tour and about AOA, not only was I told during the interview that he did not want to talk about GNR, which again was the first time I heard about that but he also seemed very hesistant about talking about Scott Weiland.

I did not question anything, I ran through what I had and I published everything in the correct context. I don't feel I was being "unprofessional" when I was given a limited amount of resources by BBF's publicist. I actually got an e-mail from BBF today and he apologized about the how he handled the awkwardness of the interview on his part and made sure that the PR sent over the album. So we will give it a proper review within the coming weeks. I will also note that had I gotten the album, like I was meant to then I would of asked more questions on it. However, I am not going to spend a majority of the interview asking questions about the album and his solo career. My goal is to ask the questions that the majority of music fans care about, and that is questions about Weiland and GNR. All softballs don't cut it. Had I had known that he wanted questions strictly about the solo album and nothing else, I most likely would never have booked this interview. It would be like talking to Mick Foley and not being able to discuss wrestling.

This is the first time that I've ever had such a massive crossing of the wires with any publicist. Whether it be sports, music,film/TV, anything and I believe any blame should be directed towards BBF's PR. Had I gotten the album ahead of time, I would of included a few extra questions. It's really as simple as that. However, this was an isolated event and should not be reflective of my work. I understand that with any interview comes the risk of criticism, however, all of my past interviews that I have done have been done in the upmost professional manner. Sometimes, you get a few rotten publicists that aren't the best at communication. That happens in my field. Rare, but it happens. After speaking to BBF today though, we are on good terms and it is all basically water under the bridge. He understands that what happened was a massive misunderstanding and not the fault of anyone but his publicist.

Hopefully you all can see that as well.

Edited by MJMazzarone
  • Like 2

Hello everyone.

Once again, this is Mke Mazzarone from AlternativeNation. I will do what I can to explain what happened. To those who have said that I knew GNR questions weren't allowed, that couldn't be further from the truth. When I booked this interview, I was never given a full fledged anything regarding topics being "off limits". I have also spoke to BBF's PR, numerous times, he had the chance, numerous times to explain to me that GNR questions were "off limits" and he failed to do so. I also, was never given the album by the PR and any further follow-up in an attempt to be able to listen to it was swiftly ignored. Once again, I do ask, how can I ask Bumblefoot about his new album, in any context when I was never given it? It's just not possible.

We asked a few soft ball questions, we asked about a potential tour and about AOA, not only was I told during the interview that he did not want to talk about GNR, which again was the first time I heard about that but he also seemed very hesistant about talking about Scott Weiland.

I did not question anything, I ran through what I had and I published everything in the correct context. I don't feel I was being "unprofessional" when I was given a limited amount of resources by BBF's publicist. I actually got an e-mail from BBF today and he apologized about the how he handled the awkwardness of the interview on his part and made sure that the PR sent over the album. So we will give it a proper review within the coming weeks. I will also note that had I gotten the album, like I was meant to then I would of asked more questions on it. However, I am not going to spend a majority of the interview asking questions about the album and his solo career. My goal is to ask the questions that the majority of music fans care about, and that is questions about Weiland and GNR. All softballs don't cut it. Had I had known that he wanted questions strictly about the solo album and nothing else, I most likely would never have booked this interview. It would be like talking to Mick Foley and not being able to discuss wrestling.

This is the first time that I've ever had such a massive crossing of the wires with any publicist. Whether it be sports, music,film/TV, anything and I believe any blame should be directed towards BBF's PR. Had I gotten the album ahead of time, I would of included a few extra questions. It's really as simple as that. However, this was an isolated event and should not be reflective of my work. I understand that with any interview comes the risk of criticism, however, all of my past interviews that I have done have been done in the upmost professional manner. Sometimes, you get a few rotten publicists that aren't the best at communication. That happens in my field. Rare, but it happens. After speaking to BBF today though, we are on good terms and it is all basically water under the bridge. He understands that what happened was a massive misunderstanding and not the fault of anyone but his publicist.

Don't worry, pal..... No one cares about BBF! Most people don't know who the hell he is and he should be thankful he's getting interviewed because the main reason why he's even raising a bit of interest to be interviewed is because of Guns N' Roses.

Props to you and move on to your next interviewee. For sure will be someone more interesting than BBF :sleeper:

Hello everyone.

Thank you for taking the time to explain the situation to us. It was just a misunderstanding.

Edited by Nosaj Thing

Hello everyone.

Don't worry, pal..... No one cares about BBF! Most people don't know who the hell he is and he should be thankful he's getting interviewed because the main reason why he's even raising a bit of interest to be interviewed is because of Guns N' Roses.

Props to you and move on to your next interviewee. For sure will be someone more interesting than BBF :sleeper:

Plenty of people care about BBF and his solo work. Of course it's no where near the amount of people that are interested in GN'R but there's still interest.

• Like 2

Hello everyone.

"Once again, I do ask, how can I ask Bumblefoot about his new album, in any context when I was never given it? It's just not possible."

Seriously? You couldn't think to ask about the songwriting, recording process, inspirations, favourite tracks, how the album compares to his other solo work, etc? You know, the standard stuff? Whining that you couldn't ask anything about the album because you weren't given a copy is garbage.

You went in dry and you didn't ask your subject about the project he's pushing. Again, day 1 shit. You may very well be a nice guy, but you completely botched this one. It happens.

Hello everyone.

Plenty of people care about BBF and his solo work. Of course it's no where near the amount of people that are interested in GN'R but there's still interest.

Which is why I would of never made the solo work the priority. I could of very well asked about the basic stuff but there is little point, IMO, when other sites have covered it. I rather have listened to the album and gotten into things song by song. When 5 or so different sites cover the basics of the process, inspirations and all that, it becomes redundant and borderline-generic. Which is not what I am about.

Was it a botch? I think that term is a bit harsh. Bumblefoot is open to doing another piece once the album is listened to fully, which I did consider doing. Again though, had I known he would of wanted to talk about the album and nothing more then I wouldn't of booked the interview. We got what we needed and that's the end of it.

It's like when we interviewed Travis Barker of Blink 182. Their publicist wanted us to talk about NOTHING but this festival show we were doing. While we asked about that, we made sure that wasn't a priority. We asked about the stuff that would get traffic. The DeLonge situation for example. The result? The interview went viral and was wildly successful. More so then if we just stuckto the guidelines of the publicist.

I understand that certain interviewers have their own set of rules. Mine is to get as many hits as possible, without lying or disrespecting my interviewee. I don't make any apologies for that. While this could of been handled better, I think I didn't go out of my guidelines. There should of been better communication on the end of BBF's publicist and that's the end of it.

I coincide that this could of been handled better on all fronts. However, I do not apperciate being told, and being implied that I am not qualified to do what I do. You gain good experiences from learning from the bad ones. This was a misunderstanding and nothing more.

Edited by MJMazzarone

Hello everyone.

Cool, thanks for giving us the backstory. One more reason why publicists aren't always an artist's best friend.

Good to hear your side of things. I'm glad you and Bumble have spoken since and that it was mainly the publicist who kind of skewed the interview due to the misunderstanding. Perhaps both parties could have handled it better but in light of your post it seems like you did what you could. I look forward to the possible updated interview.

I'll still stand by Bumble's reaction. A wee bit unprofessional to say the least but all the same I can understand his frustrations thinking this will be about his new album and there won't be any GNR questions only to have quite the opposite happen.

Hello everyone.

It's MSL's fault *L* but he shouldn't have been irate about the Scott Weiland stuff. Ron's come on here pissed off before but he usually left in a good mood. He also swore he'd never come back but we'll see.

Hello everyone.

People just want GnR info because no one in the band will give them any -

I think 'discussing Guns N' Roses' is a headache for Bumblefoot because he has chosen not to say anything about it. He should deal with the fact that he's out of that joke of a band, let people know why he left and put an end to the mystery. It's not the 90s anymore so most people don't give a fuck about Axl's band.

Hello everyone.

I'm pretty sure a year ago your reaction would be another.

• Like 1

Bumblefoot is a great guitarist. Even though I'm not a shredder aficionado- I recognize his talent, but I just don't dig any of his solo work in the least. I forget where I heard this, but with guys like Bumble, Vai, Satriani, and these stock car racer guitar player types its kind of like having a 14 inch cock- yeah its impressive to show off and shit, but when it comes down to it what are you really gonna do with it? Its too big to ever really fit in anywhere. You could kind of make a similar argument in Buckethead's case too though I'm unsure of his exact measurements.

Bumblefoot is a great guitarist. Even though I'm not a shredder aficionado- I recognize his talent, but I just don't dig any of his solo work in the least. I forget where I heard this, but with guys like Bumble, Vai, Satriani, and these stock car racer guitar player types its kind of like having a 14 inch cock- yeah its impressive to show off and shit, but when it comes down to it what are you really gonna do with it? Its too big to ever really fit in anywhere. You could kind of make a similar argument in Buckethead's case too though I'm unsure of his exact measurements.

I have said something similar. Poeple who are fantastically gifted and know all these playing techniques don't always make the right descisions on what playing to add to every song. Being a great guitar player in terms of technique doesn't automatically make you a great musician. In addition, with such a large toolbox of techniques to choose from, and their utilization of it, they tend to not as easily get a distinct playing signature because they play all kinds of stuff. A guy like, say, Dj Ashba, with a much more limited repertoire, will often quicker get his own identifiable playing style (licks that are repated, solos that are very similar, picking style that is constant across songs, etc), and, with an almost empty toolbox, be able to musically optimize how he applies what he can to whatever song he is playing.

I have said something similar. Poeple who are fantastically gifted and know all these playing techniques don't always make the right descisions on what playing to add to every song. Being a great guitar player in terms of technique doesn't automatically make you a great musician. In addition, with such a large toolbox of techniques to choose from, and their utilization of it, they tend to not as easily get a distinct playing signature because they play all kinds of stuff. A guy like, say, Dj Ashba, with a much more limited repertoire, will often quicker get his own identifiable playing style (licks that are repated, solos that are very similar, picking style that is constant across songs, etc), and, with an almost empty toolbox, be able to musically optimize how he applies what he can to whatever song he is playing.

See, I would call him a great musician. I just don't think he's a great artist. I think its quite possible that what makes him such a great musician is also what prevents him from being a great artist. As I alluded to previously its really kind of limiting and restrictive having such a gigantic cock.

Yeah it all comes back to what Ginger Baker said. It's not how fast you play, it's what you say.

One of the great things about Bucket is that he is able to keep a musical direction and the melody even if he's playing pretty fast.

Taste, note choices, and tone are all deciding factors in how you're gonna sound.

It's possible to cook a delicious meal using 100 ingredients or just 5. The main thing is how good you can cook. It ain't about how many notes you can play, especially not in Guns.

Yeah it all comes back to what Ginger Baker said. It's not how fast you play, it's what you say.

One of the great things about Bucket is that he is able to keep a musical direction and the melody even if he's playing pretty fast.

Taste, note choices, and tone are all deciding factors in how you're gonna sound.

It's possible to cook a delicious meal using 100 ingredients or just 5. The main thing is how good you can cook. It ain't about how many notes you can play, especially not in Guns.

Not really an appropriate analogy at this juncture. I don't see that a delicious meal has anything to do with music-especially in Guns.

Without having read all of the interview but just skimming over it, same as all your posts so apology if this has already been covered. Do you notice he speaks in past tense, what "was" his favourite song, he "used" to do the solo bit while the audience "sang" along.

I'll go back over it later to read it in full but it's the first thing that struck me, speaking as if it's an interview after having left the band.

Not really an appropriate analogy at this juncture. I don't see that a delicious meal has anything to do with music-especially in Guns.

If I was in your position of seeing so little I would not give up but instead try and read it again and improve myself so I could contribute in the future and still keep my dignity.

Edited by Rovim

Love the analogy! :lol:

The thing I've always dug about Bucket is that unlike some other shredders the guy knows when to hang back. In fact most of my favourite Bucket stuff isn't insane shredding stuff - I love his slower pieces.