W. Axl Rose owns a trademark for "Stay of Execution".

Stay of Execution sounds a lot more like the name of a single than an album title

But this is coming from the band that released an album called Spaghetti Incident and is currently on a hiatus :lol: would be a good title for the ChiDem demo collection

Regarding the story that Axl forced Slash and Duff to sign over their rights to the name....I can't imagine him blackmailing them into signing something on the spot, when one or both could have possibly been under the influence of something at the time, could hold up in court. "Under duress".

Why do only Slash and Duff have rights to the name now? No Izzy or Steven? Yes, Steven would probably have sold his share of the band name to a crack dealer by now, but still...I recall there being stories that Slash/Duff have rights and receiver royalties from certain old band associated things like logos, etc....actually wasn't there a minor legal incident between Axl/Slash in recent years for one of the new shirts using a logo Slash designed?

Only in GNR world are junkies not the problem.

So true. And that says a lot about Axl.

Oddly enough, those Junkies were able to help write six albums in five years (according to Canter, the Illusions are both double albums, lol).

Show up to EVERY show on time.

And were in the studio trying to write and record the Illusions follow-up.

Axl fought so hard to keep the GnR name, to protect it from those evil junkies, just so he could.............use it to randomly tour and put out one album over 20 years.

Maynard, do you just laugh or shake your head at the way some posters continually try and rewrite history to paint Axl (and really, Izzy as well, even though he is the first one who quit and walked out on the band) as a hero and Slash/Duff/Adler as the losers or villains in the GnR story?

I guess Duff is the good one now as Axl is friends with him again

Regarding the story that Axl forced Slash and Duff to sign over their rights to the name....I can't imagine him blackmailing them into signing something on the spot, when one or both could have possibly been under the influence of something at the time, could hold up in court. "Under duress".

Why do only Slash and Duff have rights to the name now? No Izzy or Steven? Yes, Steven would probably have sold his share of the band name to a crack dealer by now, but still...I recall there being stories that Slash/Duff have rights and receiver royalties from certain old band associated things like logos, etc....actually wasn't there a minor legal incident between Axl/Slash in recent years for one of the new shirts using a logo Slash designed?

you brought up a number of legal issues, hopefully I can cover them all.

You're certainly correct about the duress issue. That's something many people don't seem to understand. About a year or two ago the partnership agreement that gives Axl the GNR name was posted online and shows Slash and Duff signing on different dates at a time when they weren't even on tour. You can google the topic easily.

Slash and Duff have no rights to the GNR name. They only have rights to the old music and to approve anything regarding the old band. Steven doesn't have rights because he was fired from the band and one of the conditions of getting a 'severance' package was signing over the name. There were lawsuits about whether or not he knew what he was signing because he claims he is illiterate (seriously). Izzy quit the band and signed over all rights regarding business decisions as well. So that leaves Axl, Duff, and Slash as partners in GNR Music.

I think thats all the issues there

Regarding the shirts and logos - Axl and the new band are not allowed to use the old logos (legally) without the Partnership's permission. Of course promoters always use the old logos on advertisements so i'm sure Slash is just 'whatever' about it.

Edited by hitmanhart408

Only in GNR world are junkies not the problem.

So true. And that says a lot about Axl.

Oddly enough, those Junkies were able to help write six albums in five years (according to Canter, the Illusions are both double albums, lol).

Show up to EVERY show on time.

And were in the studio trying to write and record the Illusions follow-up.

Axl fought so hard to keep the GnR name, to protect it from those evil junkies, just so he could.............use it to randomly tour and put out one album over 20 years.

Maynard, do you just laugh or shake your head at the way some posters continually try and rewrite history to paint Axl (and really, Izzy as well, even though he is the first one who quit and walked out on the band) as a hero and Slash/Duff/Adler as the losers or villains in the GnR story?

Sometimes my reaction is like the one in wkuk's very funny gif. Most of the time I have to laugh at it man.

1383.gif

I love how you post this follow up to Apollo's post in some sort fo attempt to discredit what he's saying but the reality is you have no valid response to what he just said because what he just said is TRUE. For you to acknowledge this you'd have to change your entire agenda and that would be devestating for you.

• Like 1

1383.gif

I love how you post this follow up to Apollo's post in some sort fo attempt to discredit what he's saying but the reality is you have no valid response to what he just said because what he just said is TRUE. For you to acknowledge this you'd have to change your entire agenda and that would be devestating for you.
I value Apollo's opinion. It's just we seem to making a circle of the same old debates. I suppose that's what happens in the newsless world of GnR.

you brought up a number of legal issues, hopefully I can cover them all.

You're certainly correct about the duress issue. That's something many people don't seem to understand. About a year or two ago the partnership agreement that gives Axl the GNR name was posted online and shows Slash and Duff signing on different dates at a time when they weren't even on tour. You can google the topic easily.

Slash and Duff have no rights to the GNR name. They only have rights to the old music and to approve anything regarding the old band. Steven doesn't have rights because he was fired from the band and one of the conditions of getting a 'severance' package was signing over the name. There were lawsuits about whether or not he knew what he was signing because he claims he is illiterate (seriously). Izzy quit the band and signed over all rights regarding business decisions as well. So that leaves Axl, Duff, and Slash as partners in GNR Music.

I think thats all the issues there

Regarding the shirts and logos - Axl and the new band are not allowed to use the old logos (legally) without the Partnership's permission. Of course promoters always use the old logos on advertisements so i'm sure Slash is just 'whatever' about it.

Can you give a link for the partnership agreement?

(according to Canter, the Illusions are both double albums, lol).

Sry for ot: They are both double albums, aren't they?

Do you consider Chinese Democracy to be a double album? It's basically the same length as both Illusions.

Illusions were 75 minutes. So that would be two 37-minute long albums. At 37 minutes you are almost talking about an EP. Lies was 33 minutes.

CD was 71 minutes. So that's a double album as well.

Appetite was 54 minutes - so using Canter's logic, Appetite would actually be 1.5 albums. And if 37 minutes equals an album, then Lies wasn't an EP but a full length album as well.

That's what really blows me away about a lot of posters on the GnR forums. Their inability to just discuss the facts without trying to twist everything to make Axl look good. The Illusions weren't double albums. Yes, they were longer than normal albums. That's the facts - no need to exaggerated anything.

Edited by Apollo
  • Like 1

Do you consider Chinese Democracy to be a double album? It's basically the same length as both Illusions.

Illusions were 75 minutes. So that would be two 37-minute long albums. At 37 minutes you are almost talking about an EP. Lies was 33 minutes.

Appetite was 54 minutes - so using Canter's logic, Appetite would actually be 1.5 albums. And if 37 minutes equals an album, then Lies wasn't an EP but a full length album as well.

That's what really blows me away about a lot of posters on the GnR forums. Their inability to just discuss the facts without trying to twist everything to make Axl look good. The Illusions weren't double albums. Yes, they were longer than normal albums. That's the facts - no need to exaggerated anything.

:rofl-lol:

Do you consider Exile on Main St. (67 Min.), Blonde on Blonde (73 Min.) or The Wall (82 Min.) to be double albums? I sure do and so do many others.

Really depends on the definition of a double album. Back then it was considered a double album, by todays standards (increased capacity) it could also be a single album.

Oh and btw: I don't try to paint the Illusions bigger than they are to make Axl look good, what an absurd idea. :D

Just wondered cause I collect vinyl and always considered the Illusions to be double albums.

Edited by misch

Do you consider Exile on Main St. (67 Min.), Blonde on Blonde (73 Min.) or The Wall (82 Min.) to be double albums? I sure do and so do many others.

Really depends on the definition of a double album. Back then it was considered a double album, by todays standards (increased capacity) it could also be a single album.

They were regarded as a double album because they came on two LP's per album. I have seen them referred to as such many times over the years. (A little confusing for those of us from the compact disc generation)

I always thought they were considered a double album because they had a mix of Slash's songs, Axl's songs and Duff's songs. I remember this because Axl said that the recording process of the UYIs was basically: "I will play on your song if you sing on mine."

Oh and btw: I don't try to paint the Illusions bigger than they are to make Axl look good, what an absurd idea. :D

Just wondered cause I collect vinyl and always considered the Illusions to be double albums.

Do you consider Chinese Democracy to be a double album?

Do you consider Chinese Democracy to be a double album?
No, I don't. Do you consider Exile on Main St. (67 Min.), Blonde on Blonde (73 Min.) or The Wall (82 Min.) to be double albums?

Edit:

A double album (or double record) is an audio album which spans two units of the primary medium in which it is sold, typically records and compact discs.

A double album is usually, though not always, released as such because the recording is longer than the capacity of the medium.

Blonde on Blonde, Exile, etc.

Primary medium: LP = double album

Use Your Illusion

Primary medium: LP/CD(?) LP = double album, CD = single album

Question is, what was UYI primary medium, CD or LP, I have no idea tbh...

Chinese Democracy

primary medium: CD/Digital release = single album

Edited by misch

Use Your Illsion 1

Use Your Illusion 2

That is two seperate albums. I don't see any double album there. It was a double release it wasn't a double album. Smashing Pumpkins Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness was a double album. Not hard to figure out people. :facepalm:

Use Your Illsion 1

Use Your Illusion 2

That is two seperate albums. I don't see any double album there. It was a double release it wasn't a double album. Smashing Pumpkins Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness was a double album. Not hard to figure out people. :facepalm:

That's not the question. The question is, are the Illusion two separate double albums or two separate single albums. Edited by misch

Use Your Illsion 1

Use Your Illusion 2

That's not the question. The question is, are the Illusion two separate double albums or two separate single albums.

Both are double albums

Edited by Silent Jay

Use Your Illsion 1

Use Your Illusion 2

That's not the question. The question is, are the Illusion two separate double albums or two separate single albums.

Well if anyone is actually debating whether each indivdual Illusions album is a double album or not they are idiots. That's the truth. Use Your Illusion 1 is ONE seperate single album and Use Your Illusion 2 is another separte single album. They are not double albums :rolleyes:

Use Your Illsion 1

Use Your Illusion 2

Both are double albums

:rofl-lol: