W. Axl Rose owns a trademark for "Stay of Execution".

But, is it usual to trademark a DVD title or tour name?

After some research I've found that you simply can't trademark an album name. Not sure about a music DVD, but logic says that the same rules apply there.

Mysteron, what do you mean by new process regarding the band name?

I worked with The Quireboys, Thunder, The Almighty, Little Angels, Atom Seed etc. When you have a name in one country, you have to register it in other countries. There is a process.

With the ICs, 041 is live performance, 009 is DVD or CD. That is what they mean

The "IC" code stands for International Class code right?

It covers as you say entertainment (cultural activities), which in this case are live performances, and reproduction of sound or images.

If it is indeed a name for a tour and subsequently a cd and DVD release from that tour, I can see that this is covered in the above categories.

Since you've worked with bands, is it normal to trademark the name of a tour?

GNR haven't done it before. I've searched other band's tours as well, and nothing came up.

Bands attempt trademark things all the time, but they very often fail

Seems like Axl's came through. He only needs to fill out the Statement of Use.

I was just asking about the tour and DVD trademark since Axl hasn't got any trademarks from before, aside from Guns N Roses.

I mentioned that you can't trademark an album title, but isn't it true that you could if it's a series of albums called the same (vol 1, 2, 3 etc.)?

Could that be a possibility?

But, is it usual to trademark a DVD title or tour name?

After some research I've found that you simply can't trademark an album name. Not sure about a music DVD, but logic says that the same rules apply there.

Mysteron, what do you mean by new process regarding the band name?

I worked with The Quireboys, Thunder, The Almighty, Little Angels, Atom Seed etc. When you have a name in one country, you have to register it in other countries. There is a process.

With the ICs, 041 is live performance, 009 is DVD or CD. That is what they mean

The "IC" code stands for International Class code right?

It covers as you say entertainment (cultural activities), which in this case are live performances, and reproduction of sound or images.

If it is indeed a name for a tour and subsequently a cd and DVD release from that tour, I can see that this is covered in the above categories.

Since you've worked with bands, is it normal to trademark the name of a tour?

GNR haven't done it before. I've searched other band's tours as well, and nothing came up.

Bands attempt trademark things all the time, but they very often fail

Seems like Axl's came through. He only needs to fill out the Statement of Use.

I was just asking about the tour and DVD trademark since Axl hasn't got any trademarks from before, aside from Guns N Roses.

I mentioned that you can't trademark an album title, but isn't it true that you could if it's a series of albums called the same (vol 1, 2, 3 etc.)?

Could that be a possibility?

I am reasonably confident it is a live release of sorts, whatever it is. Not a band name or an album

The whole endeavour though is forward thinking and the means the band are functioning and pushing forward with ideas and releases.

You get muddy boots the longer you go on, it is why alot of bands split. Seeing this, whatever it is, represents something good, something positive.

Like I said, muddy boots, everything is slow and difficult, but the intention is there. And if it was there June last year, it means there is intention for this year as it takes a year for these things to process.

All good

On That Metal Show, Axl gave a reason why there are no Chinese videos yet, I don't know he spent 15 years working on this album, maybe he wants to release a big boxset with CD videos, Live performances + the remixes?

I respect your opinion but, are we forgetting that Chinese Democracy is a 7-year-old album? That ship sailed years ago. No valid reason to invest any more time or money on an album that has run its course completely. Axl needs to focus on what's coming next, forget everything about CD and move on. At least, in my opinion.

• Like 4

On That Metal Show, Axl gave a reason why there are no Chinese videos yet, I don't know he spent 15 years working on this album, maybe he wants to release a big boxset with CD videos, Live performances + the remixes?

I respect your opinion but, are we forgetting that Chinese Democracy is a 7-year-old album? That ship sailed years ago. No valid reason to invest any more time or money on an album that has run its course completely. Axl needs to focus on what's coming next, forget everything about CD and move on. At least, in my opinion.

Absolutely. Time to move on to whatever is next, if there is a next thing. Don't call a new album CD2, don't release a CD remix album. Axl needs to distance himself from the whole CD debacle.

A stay of execution is a court order to temporarily suspend the execution of a court judgment or other court order. The word "execution" does not necessarily mean the death penalty; it refers to the imposition of whatever judgment is being stayed.

Why would Axl trademarked an album title?

(apart from getting the legal rights to the GNR name)
Yes, that was very rational
you know i know that Axl is a nutjob, but at that time, EVERY other member is a junkie ('cept Izzy and Matt and Dizzy but Izzy walk away in 91 and Matt/Dizzy are just hired hands too)

So he was right when he obtain the name

What was done with the name it's an other thing and Axl fucked up obviously

What Axl did was just betrayal of confidence and you can't save a band the way he did when you ask me. His mates were functional junkies and from what we know they got their shit more together than Axl. Just my two cents

• Like 2

Saw this on a few other forums, thought it was an April fools joke, did some digging, and found out it's real....

So, what would Axl need a trademark for "Stay of Execution" for? It was filed in June 2014.... Maybe the next album? A new band? A book?

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=doc&state=4805:mg4zxk.14.1

I want to know how this was found in the first place

Probly just somebody looking thru trademarks registered by Axl.

We have a winner!!

Saw this on a few other forums, thought it was an April fools joke, did some digging, and found out it's real....

So, what would Axl need a trademark for "Stay of Execution" for? It was filed in June 2014.... Maybe the next album? A new band? A book?

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=doc&state=4805:mg4zxk.14.1

I want to know how this was found in the first place

Probly just somebody looking thru trademarks registered by Axl.

We have a winner!!

That's so sad :(

you know i know that Axl is a nutjob, but at that time, EVERY other member is a junkie ('cept Izzy and Matt and Dizzy but Izzy walk away in 91 and Matt/Dizzy are just hired hands too)

What Axl did was just betrayal of confidence and you can't save a band the way he did when you ask me. His mates were functional junkies and from what we know they got their shit more together than Axl. Just my two cents

I don't think Axl's issue was them being able to function.... We don't know how they were behind the scenes.... If they were happy junkies, then it wouldn't be bad, but they could've been jerks when they had too much too.

Then the other thing would be what if they died? They were on track to.... Steven, Duff, and Slash all came close to death at some point or another. Steven and Duff it was definitely because of their issues, and Slash's heart issues could've been caused by his addiction. Usually, if you're a drug addict, and you're around other drug addicts, you'll have a hard time stopping. We don't know how much drugs played into the band splitting and we don't know what happened back stage.

Axl registers anything related to present day GNR under Black Frog Music and anything related to the old band to Guns N' Roses, Inc., correct? I see this as more evidence of the wheels beginning to turn for a reunion tour and possibly a new album. It seems so far fetch because we've been fans so long and the era of Nu GNR has gone on seemingly forever, but this is still not impossible. Especially since the former members are healthy and are pretty much all on speaking terms. Slash and Axl could be on good terms again but publically acknowledging a new found friendship would certainly ruin the surprise.

If they do it, I hope Axl gets the vocal training he'll need to pull this off successfully.

• 1 month later...

Axl registers anything related to present day GNR under Black Frog Music and anything related to the old band to Guns N' Roses, Inc., correct? I see this as more evidence of the wheels beginning to turn for a reunion tour and possibly a new album. It seems so far fetch because we've been fans so long and the era of Nu GNR has gone on seemingly forever, but this is still not impossible. Especially since the former members are healthy and are pretty much all on speaking terms. Slash and Axl could be on good terms again but publically acknowledging a new found friendship would certainly ruin the surprise.

If they do it, I hope Axl gets the vocal training he'll need to pull this off successfully.

Was just reading about Black Frog. From what I can figure out sold the rights to GNR's back catalog to Sanctuary in 2005, and left the group in 2006. Even the rights to Appetite are now under the "Black Frog" name. Weird. If he has his own label... can't he just release CD2 whenever the fuck he feels like it and how he wants?

Nothing regarding Black Frog vs. GNR Music Inc. suggest a reunion or some sort of change in relationship between Slash and Axl. Black Frog is the legal entity Axl uses to control post-Slash Guns N Roses. Everything new is registered, trademarked, published, owned, etc by Black Frog. Everything from '85-96ish is controlled by Guns N Roses Music, Inc. Without consent of all members of GNR Music Inc. (Slash, Duff, Axl) nothing happens. That's how the two legal entities have been set up forever. Nothing new is going on.

• Like 2

We were not there so we don't know exactly

Musical differencies, big ego's, greedy managers are the most likely factors of why this band went to the toilet in 1995-96

• Like 1

Was just reading about Black Frog. From what I can figure out sold the rights to GNR's back catalog to Sanctuary in 2005, and left the group in 2006. Even the rights to Appetite are now under the "Black Frog" name. Weird. If he has his own label... can't he just release CD2 whenever the fuck he feels like it and how he wants?

No.

That music was recorded under contract using the record label's money. Axl can't release it himself through his or any other record label.

But surely he can go into his own studio right now, record it, get the band to record their parts and release it on his own then?