W. Axl Rose owns a trademark for "Stay of Execution".

Wouldn't it be strange if Axl started a new band? Its strange to think of him performing under a name other than GnR.

Imagine Axl just browsing the forums and seeing this? How surprised hed be....

He can't handle one band, what should he do with a second? Edited by Free Bird

Why "Guns n' Roses" is registered by Axl, Slash and Duff? I thought that only Axl had the rights...

It might be something that relates to the legal "partnership" that, as far as I know, still exists among Axl, Duff, and Slash. Axl owns the legal rights to the name, but the three of them are still partners regarding the guardianship of the old band. I'm fairly certain this is why when either Slash or Axl wants to incorporate anything from the old band into a product (i.e., covering a Guns song on a solo album or having a GNR song licensed for a movie), it takes the approval of all three.

I guess it was posted by Marc or it was some thread stating that Slash and Duff had to sign for A4D DVD to be released, is that true? I also heard that the Live in Stoke DVD could not be released in the US cause of Axl? can you shed some light on that?

What about the stuff on CD, its under the name of GNR, but some songs were composed by Fink also, so do they need fink's approval to release those songs or Axl can use them in a movie etc etc?

Edited by Slash787

stay:

remain in a specified state or position.

execution:

the carrying out of a plan, order, or course of action.

In other words:

Remaining in the same state of carrying out a plan.

In GNR terms:
Doing fuck all, as usual.

Edited by The Black
  • Like 2

This will absolutely lead to nothing.

But, it's fun to think about what led up to it. I'm guessing it was just a potential title for a potential compilation release which potentially was gonna be released.

Of course, nothing will materialize.

Word Mark STAY OF EXECUTION

Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Digital media, namely, pre-recorded DVDs, downloadable audio and video recordings, and CDs featuring and promoting music; Pre-recorded CDs, video tapes, laser disks and DVDs featuring music

IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Entertainment, namely, live performances by a musical band; Providing a website for entertainment purposes featuring videos, photos, news and music about a musical group

Interesting. Funny that he filed it on June 6, if it's the name of the next album it might explain why he played that epic set :lol:

i have the strange feeling that this will be the new album's title

This little tidbit points for that

I dont think album titles can be trademarked.

Not directly.

You can trademark a phrase or name that'll be used on merchandise in connection with the album. I think that trademark could be the same as the album title.

The point is, the album name itself won't be protected, which means that another band can make an album with the same name without being sued for it.

It has to be said the timing is interesting. Axl breaks out TWAT, Prostitute and Yesterdays, sounds better than he has for the past 4 years and then registers a trademark for a phrase we've never heard before. It means something.

It has to be said the timing is interesting. Axl breaks out TWAT, Prostitute and Yesterdays, sounds better than he has for the past 4 years and then registers a trademark for a phrase we've never heard before. It means something.

Maybe he did that to try to convince Ron to stay in the band.

Maybe it's a chain of boutique hotels based on death row!

It sounds like a title of some sort, book, documentary or film. Of course it could be a counter move to block someone else's project of the same name, not sure why that would be the case but it happens. A number of companies in the field I work in have fallen foul of this- large, wealthy multi nationals buying up trademarks of things they don't plan to use but to prevent others doing so.