Human head transplants?

uncivil war

I had to check the date on this to make sure it wasn't an April fool joke or something.

http://mobile.news.com.au/technology/science/terminally-ill-man-set-to-be-first-to-undergo-the-worlds-first-full-head-transplant/story-fn5fsgyc-1227301771920?utm_content=SocialFlow&utm_campaign=EditorialSF&utm_source=News.com.au&utm_medium=Facebook

AN Italian surgeon is set to become the first in the world to transplant a human head on to a donor body.

The pioneering operation by Dr Sergio Canavero is to be carried out on a 30-year-old computer scientist who is suffering from a fatal muscle wasting disease.

Valery Spiridonov has admitted that the prospect of going through with the operation is terrifying.

I am afraid, but what people dont really understand is I dont really have many choices.

If I dont try this out my fate will be very sad. With every year my situation is getting worse.

The man from Russia, who is battling the rare genetic Werdnig-Hoffman muscle wasting disease, added: My decision is final and I do not plan to change my mind.

What do you guys think?

Edited by uncivil war

Well, if you're dying like this guy is he probably figures "Why not give it a try?". If it works, great. If not, he just died sooner than he would have from the disease.

Your right, and in his shoes, I'd probably give it a go too. But I didn't even know this was in the realms of modern medical science. It just blows my mind. It seems so far fetched, I actually thought it was some kind of joke.

Well, if you're dying like this guy is he probably figures "Why not give it a try?". If it works, great. If not, he just died sooner than he would have from the disease.

He will die, this is impossible by the law of physics and biology...

if this is not a fake article, then this will end tragically ,100%

Edited by Strange Broue

But I didn't even know this was in the realms of modern medical science.

It isn't.

I highly doubt this will work. They can't reconnect broken spines so I'm not sure how they're going to reconnect this guy's head to someone else's body? Unless he's willing to forfeit all motor function and be a compete quadriplegic. If that's the case I think I'd rather live out my existence in my own body than be living in a bed for the rest of my life. Unless, of course, they're also developing robot arms/legs to overcome all of this.

One wonders if this does work how many rich old people we'll be seeing with ridiculously younger bodies. While I believe those who have only been on the planet for a short time should be allowed to do anything they want/afford to prolong their lives (within certain reasons), I think the notion that people who want to avoid death altogether are incredibly selfish. This idea that we can "cure" death is probably the worst thing human beings can do. We all get a little time on this planet and must make room for the next generations.

he's not trying to avoid death, he just doesn't want to die at 30, i can't really blame him. also im sure they probably said "it's a load of fucking bollocks" to the first heart transplantation patients as well. although there's no reasons to believe this operation will be successful, i admire his bravery, it could be an important step for the science

On the topic of it being "a load of fucking bollocks*, it was as late as the 1950s that people were saying that about a moon landing.

People have said that about every outlandish scientific innovation.

If it prolongs this guy's life, then I'm up for it. He's a brave man.

• Like 2