Axl's Letter to Indonesian President

Why not starting with death penalty abolition in the USA before trying to do it in the 3rd world?

Because Beta doesn't care about the death penalty in the US.

What does The Beta have to do with this?

Do you really believe a housewife wrote that letter?

I wish I thought Beta wrote the letter. Then there'd be an excuse for how awful it is on every level. No, I don't think she wrote it, but I do think that she's probably the reason Axl decided to release a wall of gibberish on the subject. Manets said the issue is big in Brazil at the moment.

You look like an Axl fan now, talking about conspiracy theory... :lol:

What is it, maynard? Just post lol manets again to save you time.

I never post 'lol manets', I post 'manets pls' :lol:

It's all good man, you are entitled to your opinion. In your original post you said something different to Facekicker, that's why I said 'nice edit'. I don't even remember anymore. Cheers!

Why not starting with death penalty abolition in the USA before trying to do it in the 3rd world?

Because Beta doesn't care about the death penalty in the US.

What does The Beta have to do with this?

Do you really believe a housewife wrote that letter?

I wish I thought Beta wrote the letter. Then there'd be an excuse for how awful it is on every level. No, I don't think she wrote it, but I do think that she's probably the reason Axl decided to release a wall of gibberish on the subject. Manets said the issue is big in Brazil at the moment.

You look like an Axl fan now, talking about conspiracy theory... :lol:

No conspiracy, my friend. Just an old rock star whose life is managed by his Brazilian ex-nanny.

I could see how he would turn the lyrics on CD2 (assuming they follow CD) into the unjust and imprisionment of the people executed today, much like CD which is about the unjust in China, Stay of Execution would follow that line with India.

Should be interesting. If Axl understands that the best way to get his point across is to implement his message into his music and release it so that it is cemented forever and the people executed today will live on through his lyrics and music. I wonder if Axl is thinking along these lines for the next album.

His admiration for things in the news he feels strongly about is commendable, but as Jakey said, as much as I support Axl and try to stand behind him, stuff like this is beyond frustrating when he can't say anything to the fans of him and his band about new music or just anything in general.

While certain news stories are probably more important than new music from a band, sure, it's just frustrating when you think "You can comment on this, but can't say anything to us about what's happening?"

The topic came up before, but maybe someone should write a very large open letter, quite like this one, to Axl and hashtag is, re-tweet it, whatever needs to be done to get it circulated at get not only him to see it, but fans all over. If he can get a letter to the Indonesian President posted for fans to read, then fans should be able to get a letter to him circulated for him to read.

Sorry, I disagree wholeheartedly. We shouldn't conflate the two situations. One is a matter of literally life and death, the other relates to our desire for more music. He chose to commit his thoughts and celebrity to a cause that touched him. Such a stance should not bind him to act differently on matters (i.e. his own career) that he views as personal.

Not trying to be an Axl apologist here, but I really don't get the criticism. Would it be nice to hear more from Axl about what his plans are for Guns going forward? Absolutely. But the cynical reception pertaining to a life-or-death matter is in poor taste because we fans feel deprived on the musical front is absurd.

In my opinion, some of the reactions in this thread underscore the very real criticisms of the fanbase. Yes, we're hungry for music and more communication, But such hunger does not give us license to cast dispersions about everything the man does, especially in situations where he's attempting to raise public consciousness and possibly save another human being's life. Efforts on such matters should be applauded and criticisms relating to Guns and the music should be saved for another day.

I support his letter, don't get me wrong in that regard. I support any time he speaks out about public matters. I'm probably one of Axl's biggest supporters, but I understand the frustrations when it comes to him not saying anything about anything for months, and then when he does say something, it's not what people want to hear or see. Again, I support his efforts with this fully, but I can't lie and say I don't find it frustrating.

Yes, one is about life and death and the other is about fans just wanting new music or news in general, but taking everything into consideration when it comes to his fans that have supported him for however many years through everything that's happened (or hasn't happened), I can't blame some for kind of being like "What the fuck." Especially considering the "dry spell" we're currently in with the band/Axl.

I'm not saying "He should give us an update on the band instead of this shit!". I'll say it one more time - I do support what he's done here, as well as his comments in the past on twitter about other matters. I support Axl in just about anything; I have his signature tattooed on my arm for God's sake. But, while maybe this isn't the thread to discuss it into detail, that won't disperse me from throwing in my thoughts on how I think he should handle other things and how he should take other things into consideration, whether it be personal/music related or not.

But Axl not saying anything about new music isn't anything new. There's a long history of him staying relatively silent on the matter other than a few off-handed quips. In fact, as far as I can recall, since 2006 he's only really addressed new music in any kind of detail just twice, first in his open letter to fans in December of 2006 and then in his MYGNRFORUM chats in 2009. Again, this isn't a new trend. So i don't get the current frustrations. I don't see how the situation in Indonesia is tied to the current status of GNR?

Does this mean that Axl can't or shouldn't say anything publicly on any matter until he's addressed what's going on with the next GNR album? Axl isn't just an artist, but a human being. And as a human being, he deserves a chance to speak out on an injustice without being chastened because the artist remains quiet on the issue that matters most to fans.

I don't dismiss the criticism that Axl could be more open about what's going on with the band. I just don't agree that we need to tie his statement on a humanitarian issue with what he does for a day job.

If people's first response to this letter was to think of their own selfish needs for new music over the concerns of people being put to death, well, I think that's sad. Very sad. We spend every other day griping about the lack of communication or new music, I think we can spare at least one day to put greater concerns before our wants for new music.

And this forum will never prevent people from posting their feelings on matters. So long as sentiments are expressed genuinely people are allowed to make them. But the ability to make a point doesn't shield it from criticism if said point is off base and without merit. And in this case, I take issue with anyone who thinks Axl deserves rebuke because he chose to address a life-or-death situation rather than inform his fans where things stand on new music. I think such a position is childish, petty, and selfish for the reasons I've already outlined. And people can disagree with me on that. In the end, who am but just another fan with an opinion. But as HV suggested, those who feel they deserve an answer from Axl about new music before he can address the situation in Indonesia needs to check their own humanity.

• Like 1

Stay of Execution. We have cross references. We have a lead. Marty get the green McC mobile it's go time!

What did they do? I've always been a bit disturbed by Nancy Grace on Larry King when they are prosecuting. Of course the question comes up Why? did they do this. And they say who knows, this is the law. If why mattered we'd never get to the dunkin donuts commercials.

The law is open to manipulation. Like the Pistorius trial. Was he in pain and distraught or was that an act for leniency.

I get the idea that in the drug business it's very poor people doing what is basically just the only job they can get. I see suicide bombers the same.

And yes executing does not change the real problem.

I also see the fear of a country sliding into drugs. So it's black and white to them. It's pretty heavy handed. But there's this idea that 1 example deters 100.

Personally I think execution should be reserved for psychopathic killers. But still they like to keep them alive to try to figure them out etc.

To me it's all a cover up and kind of part of the deeper conspiracy of life. That's a shame but that's what we got. It's the is not ideal, it's in flux, one asteroid and we are dinosaur bones.

Slave only dreams to be king.

Edited by wasted

Can someone explain why a bunch of heroin smugglers deserve special treatment?

I also find it funny that Axl would speak out in their defence given his own public lambasting of his own bandmembers for using the drug.

So because Axl took issue with drug use in his own band that he's now a hypocrite for calling attention to state-sponsored murder of convicted drug smugglers? Really? You don't see a difference between someone using drugs and someone being put to death by a court that is long rife with corruption and a legal system that has been widely criticized by human right organizations. I see no connection between the two.

Axl is fucking weird. No one cares about what is going on in Indonesia and I bet no one on here had any clue (at least the Americans) about this story.

There was a similar case involving a British grandma/housewife.

I watch a couple of episode of Banged up Abroad and I'm just like I'm staying home tonight order a pizza. No toppings!

Amanda Knox case is also kind of strange. Once it enters the media it's hard to decide. It's like their life already ruined.

I don't know. I really can't be bothered with another self-important celebrity having yet another pet political issue. "Shut up and sing" has never been more appropriate imo.

Axl is fucking weird. No one cares about what is going on in Indonesia and I bet no one on here had any clue (at least the Americans) about this story.

Didn't realize Dick Cheney's electric heart was so widely used by the general population.

Not sure why people shit on celebrities for issues that need attention. What value of celebrity is there if the currency can't be put to good use by alarming others to matters that might warrant their focus.

If their "pet project" isn't of interest, then don't pay attention. But to shit on the person who is only trying to shine a light on what they feel is an important matter is ridiculous.

How cynical are you that you cast dispersions aspersions on someone trying to do some good?

• Like 1

Guys, how callous would Axl have to be to use this situation as a means to tease fans regarding the next album title?

Get off the high horse, boss. No one is casting "dispersions," not even aspersions.

Damn auto-correct....

Well, piping in saying you don't give a shit, that Axl should just shut up and sing strikes me as unnecessarily condescending. If you truly didn't give a fuck, why bother read the letter. Why bother posting? If you truly didn't care, why enter the thread and act like you're above it all?