Axl's Letter to Indonesian President

I wonder what would Axl do if Mr President said ... "ok I'll forgive those junkies if there's a GN'R reunion + album + world tour"

He would reply: Kill 'Em All.

Almost forgot, drug smugglers aren't necessarily junkies.

I watched the news ... they were saying those people had drugs with them ... to be honest I don't know what were they doing with those drugs ...

Did you read the part where I said they were drug "smugglers"? Maybe it is a word you don't know, look it up.

The whole country is corrupt.

I haven't read the letter yet, but there's one thing I know: Small country, big corruption. Welcome to the real world.

You implying that "small country, big corruption" is a rule?

Not a rule, but I don't know why people are surprised Indonesian authorities are corrupt.

I haven't read the letter yet, but there's one thing I know: Small country, big corruption. Welcome to the real world.

I hear what you're saying man, but Indonesia is the 15th largest country in the world, with a population of over 250 million.

I hear what you're saying man, but Indonesia is the 15th largest country in the world, with a population of over 250 million.

When I said "small," I wasn't addressing their population. :lol:

And people wonder why Axl doesn't come back to this forum to converse with his fans anymore.

I can't believe you actually wrote that. Sad.

• Like 2

Can someone explain why a bunch of heroin smugglers deserve special treatment?

I also find it funny that Axl would speak out in their defence given his own public lambasting of his own bandmembers for using the drug.

• Like 3

His admiration for things in the news he feels strongly about is commendable, but as Jakey said, as much as I support Axl and try to stand behind him, stuff like this is beyond frustrating when he can't say anything to the fans of him and his band about new music or just anything in general.

While certain news stories are probably more important than new music from a band, sure, it's just frustrating when you think "You can comment on this, but can't say anything to us about what's happening?"

The topic came up before, but maybe someone should write a very large open letter, quite like this one, to Axl and hashtag is, re-tweet it, whatever needs to be done to get it circulated at get not only him to see it, but fans all over. If he can get a letter to the Indonesian President posted for fans to read, then fans should be able to get a letter to him circulated for him to read.

Sorry, I disagree wholeheartedly. We shouldn't conflate the two situations. One is a matter of literally life and death, the other relates to our desire for more music. He chose to commit his thoughts and celebrity to a cause that touched him. Such a stance should not bind him to act differently on matters (i.e. his own career) that he views as personal.

Not trying to be an Axl apologist here, but I really don't get the criticism. Would it be nice to hear more from Axl about what his plans are for Guns going forward? Absolutely. But the cynical reception pertaining to a life-or-death matter is in poor taste.

In my opinion, some of the reactions in this thread underscore the very real criticisms of the fanbase. Yes, we're hungry for music and more communication, But such hunger does not give us license to cast dispersions about everything the man does, especially in situations where he's attempting to raise public consciousness and possibly save another human being's life. Efforts on such matters should be applauded and criticisms relating to Guns and the music should be saved for another day.

I support his letter, don't get me wrong in that regard. I support any time he speaks out about public matters. I'm probably one of Axl's biggest supporters, but I understand the frustrations when it comes to him not saying anything about anything for months, and then when he does say something, it's not what people want to hear or see. Again, I support his efforts with this fully, but I can't lie and say I don't find it frustrating.

Yes, one is about life and death and the other is about fans just wanting new music or news in general, but taking everything into consideration when it comes to his fans that have supported him for however many years through everything that's happened (or hasn't happened), I can't blame some for kind of being like "What the fuck." Especially considering the "dry spell" we're currently in with the band/Axl.

I'm not saying "He should give us an update on the band instead of this shit!". I'll say it one more time - I do support what he's done here, as well as his comments in the past on twitter about other matters. I support Axl in just about anything; I have his signature tattooed on my arm for God's sake. But, while maybe this isn't the thread to discuss it into detail, that won't disperse me from throwing in my thoughts on how I think he should handle other things and how he should take other things into consideration, whether it be personal/music related or not.

When I said "small," I wasn't addressing their population. :lol:

Yea I know. But it is hard not to pass up the opportunity to be a smart-arse.

You are right though.

It's nice that Axl took the time to write this letter, but I doubt the President will listen.

People's rights in some parts of the world are non existence. I'm pretty sure this country is one of them.

9 idiot heroin smugglers who knew what they were doing. I've zero sympathy.

That heroin would have destroyed the lives of countless people and their families.

Guys, stop bashing everything. This is extremly cool from Axl, well done.

Why is it extremely cool to single out a bunch of idiot drug smugglers for special treatment?

Axl's coming in defense of human life. These "idiot drug smugglers" are people, their lives shouldn't be terminated.

Edited by ManetsBR

Guys, stop bashing everything. This is extremly cool from Axl, well done.

Why is it extremely cool to single out a bunch of idiot drug smugglers for special treatment?

Axl's coming in defense of human life. These "idiot drug smugglers" are people, their lives shouldn't be terminated.

How fucking mighty of him. Good lord, take a moment to crawl out of his ass Manets.

Well then the punishment should fit the crime.

Why the hell would Axl fight for criminals like this?

I would shoot them up with heroin and watch them die!

I also have 0 tolerance for drug dealers.

Axl do what you do best, make some fuckin new music and leave the drug dealers to suffer a gruesome death!

Edited by Val22

It's nice that Axl took the time to write this letter, but I doubt the President will listen.

People's rights in some parts of the world are non existence. I'm pretty sure this country is one of them.

That heroin would have destroyed the lives of countless people and their families.

"That heroin would have destroyed the lives of countless people who made a conscious decisition to use it and face the widely known and easily available consequences and their families

• Like 1

I get that a lot of people don't give a shit about this case, but those criticising this letter should take a good look at themselves - when was the last time you stood up and spoke out on an issue you were passionate about?

I have followed the Bali 9's case for many years, and always felt a great deal of compassion for both Muyuran and Andrew and their tragic plight. Both those men did everything they possibly could to turn their lives around from within prison. If you take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the case, you might see why there was a cause worth fighting for there. Their pleas for clemency were completely ignored (contrary to the President's legal responsibility), both men had appeals scheduled to be heard and they were executed anyway.

Really admire Axl taking the time to write a letter on their behalf. RIP to all eight victims of Indonesia's "justice" system and their heartbroken families.

• Like 4

That's not the point you fucking idiot. Fuck the messenger, the point is the message. I read your post above, and two wrongs don't make a right. You have zero sympathy for these people because they would have "ruined other people's lives" yet you have respect for a murderer state?

I don't believe I expressed an opinion concerning Indonesia in any of my posts. I merely pointed out that I have zero sympathy for idiot heroin smugglers.